The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Evil Within (All Formats) review

I've played about an hour so, and it's not quite what I was expecting.

I may be rubbish, but it doesn't seem possible to win a fight against more than one enemy at once, at least until you've upgraded Sebastian quite a bit. It feels like a message from Mikami to the fans who complained about Resi 4; 'you CAN do proper horror using this template'.

The first enemy you face is unkillable, which is a rather harsh lesson in how to approach the game.

The first chapter is a prologue, and then the game starts to build the action.

I've got a few issues so far. The controls are a bit woolly, and I've had stealth kills fail for no apparent reason. I had an enemy getting stuck on the scenery a few minutes ago, which didn't do a lot for the atmosphere.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Was this from shopto? Hoping mine arrives today, but got to wait until I get home to find out!

Comment

Yep, received the dispatch email on Friday evening, delivered this morning with the first post.

Comment

Woop! Same here, looks like I'll be skipping the gym tonight :|

Comment

Starting to get the hang of it a bit more now. It's all about taking things slowly and really looking at the environment as you move forward.

Comment

Hows the combat in this mate? Does it feel clunky and old school, or is it a bit more fluid?

Looking forward to all the first impressions and reviews rolling in over the next 24 hours.

Comment

Much more stealth-orientated than combat-orientated, at least in the early chapters. Sebastian isn't very good at defending himself; melee attacks leave you flailing, and the handgun is hard to aim with. You have to pick off enemies one by one, compared to Resi 4's crowd control.

I'm into Chapter Three now, and the thing has just crashed on me.
              Last edited by Judge; 13-10-2014, 15:43.

Comment

Two and a half hours in, and the thing's just clicked with me. Chapter Three is a cross between Resi 4 and Thief. It's brilliant.

Comment

Excellent, which version you playing Judge? my copy has been despatched from Gameseek today.

Can't wait to get in to this though fear I've seen half the scary/jump moments in previews/Youtube videos already.

Comment

PS4 version here. Quite a few of the enemies can wander the levels at will, so I wouldn't worry about not being caught off - guard!

Comment

Just loaded this up. Agree about the floaty mess of the controls- took the sensitivity of the camera down to 70 and it's helped a great deal. Looking forward to this

Comment

What's everyone playing this on then? Are there many discernible differences between the 360 and bone version? Undecided on which to go for

Comment

I've now finished chapter four of fourteen. If the first few chapters are representative in terms of length, then we're looking at about twelve hours for the while thing. The chapters are geographically quite small, but I'm dying A LOT. Even the standard enemies can kill you qickly if you let your guard down.

I can see where the comparions to Silent Hill come from; Mikami obviously enjoyed not being tied to Resi's pseudoscientific monsters and settings.

The one bit of advice I'd give would be not to be afraid of stepping off the beaten path. The game has a habit of sealing off sections you've passed through, and I've missed out on buildings I could have explored by chasing the story too eagarly.

Comment

Reviews trickling in this morning. Seem to be slightly split along the lines: "It's a bit of a step-back for survival horror, boo!" OR "it's a bit of a step-back for survival horror, yay!" Can't wait to get stuck in later.

Comment

Ign uk review

Metro review http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/the-ev...orror-4904658/
                              I've got it coming on ps4
                              Last edited by BIG EDD; 14-10-2014, 06:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X