No announcement yet.

[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody offer a decent front-lit screen modding service for NGPCs?

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
      Cardfighters Clash was incredible, one of my all time faves.
      One of my all-time faves too, I'd probably say it was in my top ten. I once labelled it "digital crack" and got a laugh or two off a couple of friends who read my write-up of it and thoroughly agreed.

About the only thing I don't own that springs to mind is the Ogre Battle boxset. Or any US releases. I've got full European and Japanese sets, all five Best Collection rereleases, a number of demo carts, promo materials, and so on. And a Hanshin Tigers version ID-Republix. Didn't realise the price had gone up to that, I got mine not that long ago (last 3-4 years) and didn't cost me any where near $300.

Inspired by the thread, I retook a shot of my shelves so you can compare now against then (which was about five years ago I think).

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Big al in the sales forum is selling s Hanshin Tigers for less than ?100 I think

Comment

I've got good memories of the NGP. I remember going on a school trip and my friend brought her one, then playing KOFR-1 on it which was pretty amazing at the time to be playing a portable KOF game. (Especially since I had just gotten into playing KOF97 at the arcades.)

Picked up the B&W NGP when I went to Hong Kong, with KOFR-1, R-2, Biomotor Unitron, and Neo Geo Cup '98.
          Was pretty pissed when they released the NGPC a little while later lol. Never bothered upgrading to the NGPC until maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Was always a bit annoyed you couldn't complete the custom parts mode in KOFR-2 without the NGP->DC cable. Could never find the cable for cheap and now that I have one, I don't have my KOFR-2 over here. =_=

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Anyone ever play Biomotor Unitron? I've heard pretty good things about it.
          Played it years ago, so can't remember it too well but from what I can remember it's a good game.
          IIRC it's a bit like a dungeon crawler RPG where you look for parts to upgrade your robot. I've got the second game sitting in a box somewhere that I haven't played yet lol.

Comment

I had that yellow slimline model. It was basically a PacMan system. Perfect game for it for me Loved the chunky game cases too.

Comment

Much love, I bought one on release in the UK and convinced 2 of my mates, link up was happening! Amazing machine, quality library in terms of excellent games vs volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Loved the chunky game cases too.
                This. They were awesome. I've never owned a NeoGeo home system, but didn't those carts come in similar boxes?

Wonderful little things. Real feel of quality. I'm sad that the idea didn't catch on; GBA/GBC boxes are terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  GBA/GBC boxes are terrible.
                  They definitely are, and that's not even mentioning the poor ("cost-cutting") decision to discontinue plastic carry-casing for GBC/GBA games like what we saw for original Game Boy games back in the day.

In any case, NGPC is on my list of retro handhelds that I want to pick up which is funny because I could've cared less about the NGP/NGPC back when retailers were selling it. If anything, I think that my desire to own an NGPC has increased as a result of seeing what a steaming pile of sh1t the NGX has turned out to be.

NGP/NGPC = the handheld the NGX probably wanted to be like but could never, ever hope to pull it off.

Comment

Only Europe got the chunky plastic cases for all releases. All the US releases were in cardboard, and only the early Japanese releases were in plastic, the rest were in cardboard too.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Much love, I bought one on release in the UK and convinced 2 of my mates, link up was happening! Amazing machine, quality library in terms of excellent games vs volume.

I for some reason berated the system for claiming '16-bit' when 'its games look like nothing on the Nomad' which was my 'portable' of choice.

When it died Amazon UK cleared them out and had a bit of a blurb about how niche and cult a console it was and I ordered one with Sonic. Instant love. Ordered 5-6 games cheap as chips off Amazon's WAP site thereafter. Wish I'd bought more.

Ah, browsing WAP sites on my Motorola V100 and playing NGPC and Shenmue late into the night and always being late to class next morning. Miss those days.

Comment

It saddens me to learn today (old news), that Magician Lord 2 and Crystalis 2 were due to come out on NGP, but were cancelled.

Loved my machine. Picked it up whilst living in South London in 1999 at small indy game shop. I had Neo Turf Masters, Sonic, SNKvCap MotM, Card Fighters Clash, KoF R2, Metal Slug 2nd Mission and Puzzle Bobble. What a console! Sold it now and feel disgusted with myself.

It's like 22 years ago now

Comment

I picked mine up in the sales forum on here in about 2007. Slim version in silver, fully boxed, with a US version of Pac-Man and a UK Sonic. Loved it immediately - I spent a lot of my 2008 Japan trip hunting down games for it, which is where I acquired most of my library.

Managed to snag all the main stuff for decent prices, including Cotton for about £40

There are two games I'd still really like to own for it, which are Ganbare Neo Poke Kun and Card Fighters Clash. But I'm just not sure I'll ever get round to it, prices being what they are. Perhaps if they ever popped up on here I'd go for it.

Comment

Weird that this just got bumped, as the system's been on my mind a lot lately in the past week or so. I think the news of SNK vs Capcom going to Switch got me thinking about how I've never had one (I have a few games though), and now I've been looking at picking up a few other games. I'm hoping that it isn't a total mad scramble to get the NGPC adaptor for the Analogue Pocket when they finally get them lined up...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I picked mine up in the sales forum on here in about 2007. Slim version in silver, fully boxed, with a US version of Pac-Man and a UK Sonic. Loved it immediately - I spent a lot of my 2008 Japan trip hunting down games for it, which is where I acquired most of my library.

Managed to snag all the main stuff for decent prices, including Cotton for about £40

There are two games I'd still really like to own for it, which are Ganbare Neo Poke Kun and Card Fighters Clash. But I'm just not sure I'll ever get round to it, prices being what they are. Perhaps if they ever popped up on here I'd go for it.
                              There's a slim version!!!???

Comment

Yes indeed

I think the differences between the two models are quite, er, slim...

Here's a decent comparison showing the differences. As you can see they're minor:

Hey guys. I know that when I was looking for a slimline NGPC, I was super confused! I figured you other collector's may enjoy learning about them! How to tell the difference online?

Comment

Working...
                                X