[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha feet!

It's smaller. Slimmer? I like the 'Color' text. I don't like the colour of the console! What colours they come in?

Comment

Would love to own an NGPC but software prices seem hella prohibitive at this point.

Surely there's gotta be an EverDrive-type flashcart available for it?

Comment

Yeah, it's kind of just a bit smaller I guess. The cursive 'Color' text is nicer, I agree. I'm far from an expert but I believe the slim version came in transparent, transparent yellow, and silver at least. And, I guess, according to that link, purple.

EDIT: @Nu-Eclipse there are a few flashcart solutions knocking about I think. I would say that the system is difficult to use today due to lack of backlight on the screen, though, sadly. A shame because the stick still absolutely rules.

Any other NGPC owners got the official case?

(not my photo)

I really like mine
        Last edited by wakka; 11-02-2021, 12:14.

Comment

Yeah a bit of googling showed a clear blue, and a few of the already available colours. Blue/black army print, carbon fibre looking, semi clear white/milky Would love one again, but maybe when I win that lottery.

Actually had fun playing through MotM on my RG350. Having a backlit screen was ace!

Comment

I totally love the NGPC and I have more than three of them, mostly because I was pretty sure one of them would die over the years. And as it happens, the batteries leaked in one of them and the connectors are very dodgy now so I'm glad I have the spares. Would love to get one modded to have a lit screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I totally love the NGPC and I have more than three of them, mostly because I was pretty sure one of them would die over the years. And as it happens, the batteries leaked in one of them and the connectors are very dodgy now so I'm glad I have the spares. Would love to get one modded to have a lit screen.
              This post made me check mine for batteries. None in there. Phew.

Comment

I got my blue camo one from a Gamestation where the carpets smelled of sick (they always did). I think that the pocket version of Neo Turf Masters is arguably the best handheld game ever made. The console itself is great - durable enough that I wasn't ever scared to take it anywhere, long battery life, decent screen.

However, one point that needs to be mentioned is that it has the best digital direction pad of any controller ever made. That clicky stick should be the standard - I wish somebody would make pads for all the old games consoles with that exact stick setup.

Ultimately it was cut down in its prime, I'd have loved to see what more they could have got out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  I got my blue camo one from a Gamestation where the carpets smelled of sick (they always did)
                  FYI, that was the solution that they needed to use to get the chewing gum out of the carpets that people spat out; that's why quite a few retailers had a weird sicky smell in the 00s.

Comment

Weird that this got bumped after I played mine for the first time in years the other day. I got one of the Gamestation packs of the machine and games as well. The only game I have left now is Metal Slug, I sold the rest a while back annoyingly. Loved playing with the dpad and it's a nice feeling machine.

After getting an IPS screen GBA recently, I looked into NGCP screens and may get one. Depends if I can find enough affordable games I want for it.

Comment

Honestly, I'd argue the definitive NGPC experience is on the Anbernic RG-351M:

It doesn't have the click-stick, sadly. That's the only drawback. But it looks fantastic. I've seen various screen mods for the NGPC but they all have drawbacks; the light mods are based on GBA SP aftermarket parts and the screen isn't exactly the right size.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Honestly, I'd argue the definitive NGPC experience is on the Anbernic RG-351M:
                        The Analogue Pocket will almost certainly beg to differ on that score, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          The Analogue Pocket will almost certainly beg to differ on that score, no?
                          We'll have to see once it releases. In theory it should be amazing.

Comment

We'll have to see once it releases. In theory it should be amazing.
                            We will see indeed.

With Analogue's stellar track record in the FPGA field, it's likely to be embarrassing for Anbernic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              With Analogue's stellar track record in the FPGA field, it's likely to be embarrassing for Anbernic.
                              Embarrassing? I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit. It's nearly twice the price of the Anbernic devices; I think they're in different markets.

Comment

Embarrassing? I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit. It's nearly twice the price of the Anbernic devices; I think they're in different markets.
                                Me ahead of myself? You just called Anbernic's handheld the definitive NGPC experience!

Self-aware much??

Comment

Working...
                                X