[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Some of the talk in the thread about Android consoles has made me nostalgic today for the NGPC, so dug mine out of storage.

After the customary couple of minutes to find the right light to play it in, I'm happy to see that Match of the Millennium is still as fun to play now as it always was.

I've also just discovered that as of this month, the machine is 15 years old.

Anyway, turned out that we don't seem to have a general thread about the NGPC - we have specific games, and people asking about collections etc. but no love-in for the platform itself.

What are people's best memories of the NGPC? What are your favourite games? Has anyone done the lighting mod?

At the height of my gaming and prior to my divorce I had a full UK set

Memories side the crystal series were my favourite especially the yellow one and the Hanshin Tigers was lovely

Games wise it's still about the fighters with last blade and gals fighters being excellent, didn't get the madness around reversi but also didn't own any Japanese games for it which was a first for any consoles I've owned within the last ten years

Comment

I never got the love for the slimline units, though I don't think I've ever actually held one. I personally was always partial to this:

Comment

What slimline units?

Comment

There were 2 versions (3 if you count the black and white models), the original and the Japanese only slimline models. I preferred the slimline's.

I also had a full set at one point, lots of great games, the Metal Slugs were good, Magical Drop was a great puzzler, enjoyed Faselei and Card Fighters too. It also has the best handheld fighter ever, SNK V Capcom MOTM. Oh and the pad/stick was brilliant.
          Last edited by Jamie; 25-10-2014, 12:28.

Comment

Comparison picture of the original v slimline

Comment

Wow, I'm amazed that I never even knew about that. Will have to look around see if I can get one. I don't have my big one with me anyway and I've been meaning to get another so I can play the Megaman game I picked up last year. That transparent slim one looks turbo 90s and I want it. Are they expensive?

Not sure how I would get on with the screen now. I remember the screen blowing me away with how crystal clear it was, for an unlit system. I got a Swancrystal recently though and was not at all impressed with it. I couldn't see a bally thing. I've been spoilt by all the backlit and modified systems I've used in the interim.

EDIT: What am I even talking about? I hate slimline systems! It's a cancer on handheld design!

Comment

Great little system. Best d-pad ever. Good screen and impressive battery life. The Metal Slug games and Sonic are excellent. Shame it didn't get much support from third parties.

Comment

Nuff said heh... (although this is an old photo and there's more now than then)

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It certainly is one of the strangest catalogues of games for any platform.

For starters, I don't think there is a single racing game. I'm not their biggest fan, but it still seems odd to have a system where not one exists.

The other thing is the general level of quality is really quite high. I struggle to think of a bad game on the system. Even the gambling games (the card games etc) are decent for what they are.

Anyone ever play Biomotor Unitron? I've heard pretty good things about it.

Comment

Cardfighters Clash was incredible, one of my all time faves. Never played the DS sequel but by all accounts it was rammel.

Comment

Cardfighters Clash is wonderful. I adore the NGPC. So much so that I have about six systems because when they stopped making them I was afraid they'd be hard to get (they weren't). The vs fighting games are incredible mainly because they are designed exactly for the system, working within the limitations to get the best from it. Last Blade in particular is awesome but SNK vs Capcom needs a special mention for just how much fun it is and how amazing it was back in the day to see these characters together.

The system does lack many types of games and so it never fully realised its potential in my opinion but it's a system that is very dear to me.

Comment

Brilliant d-pad as mentioned, but I never owned a single game for it that I'd call a classic. Even as a huge Metal Slug fan, I can't say the two on the system were that great. I'd probably go for turf masters as my most played title on it which I did really like, but other than that I think it's an over rated system. (As are most handhelds, I'm just not a fan of them)

Comment

I love SNK's art style for the system, really cool and great animation. I played a ton of Match of the Millenium: SNK vs. Capcom it's better then Chaos if you ask me...

Comment

The NGPC has been priced out of the range of anyone but the crazy/wealthy now....if one wants a decent set of games.

Even the Best Collection ver of Gals Fighters is something like $100

I love the 'error' messages one gets putting an NGPC game in an NGP

MOTM was just an instant classic. Although I love SF Zero 3 and Blaz Blue on the PSP, I'd still say MOTM is the best portable fighter ever, still.

Love the NGPC. Still have the odd wireless units, the DC link cable, and the Sam Spirits NGP bundle. Something about that console and the DC and their turn-of-millennium release makes them nostalgic as hell (of course also because of their strong games as well)

Wish I'd got the Hanshin Tigers one years ago .... like $300 now. Oh well.
                              Last edited by usman; 25-10-2014, 15:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X