So halloween?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So halloween?

That time of year is fast approaching yet again, so is anyone on here doing anything for halloween?

I'll be staying in, have my pumpkins on standby in the kitchen waiting to be carved, tools all out of storage and designs chosen. Been downloading a mountain of horror films to enjoy over the evening while i carve away. One of the few times a year i really look forward to probably my most favourite holiday. Even better as we never get any trick or treaters so i can enjoy it in peace i hate that the UK generally makes such a piss poor effort especially considering it originated over here & not in America like everyone assumes, least the Americans go all out it's amazing over there for halloween.

So people, anyone got plans? anyone going to be carving pumpkins/neeps/swedes/potatos/bell peppers?

May get night of the sacrifice out on wii, may try and get further in. Some horror games always go down well to play over halloween.

I'm sorry importaku, I'm one of those boring people. What I find a little gross is that where I work used to sell Halloween stuff. I guess they stopped because it isn't as profitable as Christmas, which they started putting stock out for mid October.

I'll be at work Friday night anyway...

Last edited by speedlolita; 28-10-2014, 15:34.

Comment

Here in Switzerland, Halloween is next to non-existant, probably because the "let's get dressed and wasted" festivities are held at the end of February. In italy there were token parties, but nothing more.
      When I was in Japan last month, shops were pushing Halloween-themed sweets and make-up like crazy.

Comment

I've not liked Halloween since as a kid they told me it was a fancy dress party.

It was not a fancy dress party.

[hide][/hide]

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          I'm sorry importaku, I'm one of those boring people. What I find a little gross is that where I work used to sell Halloween stuff. I guess they stopped because it isn't as profitable as Christmas, which they started putting stock out for mid October.

I'll be at work Friday night anyway...

Last year i tried to get halloween off but i had to work a 12 hour late shift, this year i have gotten unlucky/lucky. I'm currently on long term sick so this year i will not be at work on halloween. Might as well make the most of been captive at home hehe.

Shocking that xmas stuff comes out earlier & earlier, if you work in retail i can see all the fun been sucked out of any holiday. You deserve a medal, i wouldn't have that kind of patience to deal with the general public.
          Last edited by importaku; 28-10-2014, 15:42.

Comment

Halloweens crap. People getting drunk and acting fools. Trick or treating has died a flaming death, kids go to malls now and collect sweets from shops.

Only upside is massive sales on Haloween sweets on 1 November. Mike n Ikes tangy twisters is the best flavour but oddly only sold at Halloween now. Typically I can grab the big multipacks for 50-70% off their $10 normal price.
            Anyways Halloween has become crap, it's not what it was when I was a kid. Magic is gone, All that defines it now is just drunk people and retail sales.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Shocking that xmas stuff comes out earlier & earlier, if you work in retail i can see all the fun been sucked out of any holiday. You deserve a medal, i wouldn't have that kind of patience to deal with the general public.
              I think last year I was lumped with working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. That combined with having to work Christmas stock since Mid October really does take away most of the enjoyment of Christmas. Had New Years off at least, they tend to give you the choice. That or Christmas Eve.

Comment

Kind of similar here because i work in a microbiology lab it never closes on any day so all holidays we have to work, it has to be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Usually try and get some of the holidays off but never get them all so i have to choose wisely usually this is one i try & get off.

Halloween is one of those holidays that it's what you make it to be for yourself, can be something really traditional at home or you can go full out. I have to agree that people getting pissed seems to be the main theme nowdays and you rarely see anyone decorating up for it especially in the UK and especially around here, my friend in Canada is so lucky his entire street decorates up, every house on the street has pumpkins and decorations all over the place. Last year they had neary 200 kids hit up their the pics were amazing i can't wait to see what they do this year.

Horror films/games & carving is enough for me.
                Last edited by importaku; 28-10-2014, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by id-republix View Post
                  Halloweens crap. People getting drunk and acting fools. Trick or treating has died a flaming death, kids go to malls now and collect sweets from shops.

Only upside is massive sales on Haloween sweets on 1 November. Mike n Ikes tangy twisters is the best flavour but oddly only sold at Halloween now. Typically I can grab the big multipacks for 50-70% off their $10 normal price.
                  Anyways Halloween has become crap, it's not what it was when I was a kid. Magic is gone, All that defines it now is just drunk people and retail sales.
                  This.

Oh Canada, shut up and go home. The sensible people at work have booked Friday night off to avoid the numbskillery that inevitably vomits in the lobby.

Be careful though IDR, last year Co-op had all it's chocolate and halloween stuff on sale from the start of the week so that it was all gone before halloween. I'll be stopping by on the way home from school to raid the aisles later today.

Comment

Halloween is pretty fun in my neighbourhood in Toronto, lots of people have their front gardens decorated and there are pumpkins everywhere! There's even a large pumpkin parade at the park up the street from me where local residents can add their own pumpkin to the display.

http://soraurenpark.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/10th-annual-sorauren-pumpkin-parade-on-nov-1/

Comment

This year we'll be having a BBQ as we are expecting 20?c in Hampshire.
                      I'm loving global warming (other naturally occuring meteorological features too).

Comment

I'm well in the dislike column, can't find much about it that I find redeeming these days. It was never a big deal when I grew up for anyone and it feels like stores have given a big push on it the last few years to make it more of an occasion but peeps don't care. It's badly timed to be big here, I've already heard Xmas songs on the radio and seen an Xmas ad on the TV so the idea of stomaching another occasion is too much, especially with the infinitely superior Bonfire Night just days later. I'll be ignoring the entire occasion, closest to halloween I'll get is maybe playing more Evil Within

Comment

Notting Hill
                          Set in a ?haunted? (ie old) theatre, Pop Up Screens has some of the best horror films ever made ? everything from The Pet Sematary and Evil Dead toCandyman and Ghostbusters(apparently it's horror). Best bit? You have to navigate your way to the theatre via a ?scare maze?.
                          Shoreditch
                          Look, if you're going to make yourself feel a little disturbed, it's best that it happens in soothing hot tub, right? We live our lives by that mantra. This is why we?re advocating getting five mates (or asking existing ones) for Hot Tub Cinema?s screening of 28 Days Latertomorrow.
                          Barbican
                          Fabio Frizzi not only has an awesome name, he?s also one of the undisputed masters of horror soundtracks. He?ll be performing his scores from movies such as Zombie Flesh Eaters, City Of The Living Dead and Manhattan Baby with a live orchestra while the scenes play in the background on 31 October.
                          Deptford
                          This is theatre with a twist. Running until 8 November, you can wander around the dark (and probably wet) streets of Deptford on a tour inspired by the Brothers Grimm tales. Hear stories of love, death and poverty from an eclectic array of suitably unhinged characters. Take a raincoat and wellies.
                          Secret Location
                          Come the zombie apocalypse you should head to Backyard Cinema?s secret survivor camp where you can stock up on supplies and learn how to beat undead hordes. And, in what will presumably be more useful for your present circumstances, our readers gettwo free beers with ticket purchases.

Comment

I generally hate it, but it has it's perks. All the goth girls walking around dressed as Harley Quinn, and the sudden influx of horror movies around this time every year.

Comment

The local pub near where I live is having a fancy dress Halloween party on Friday night but I don't think I can be arsed.

Was fun years ago as a kid going out to scare people and get loads of sweets.

I think I'll buy on way home Friday night The evil within to play through with lights off lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X