No announcement yet.

Mecha Mad and Figure Fixation V3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww man! I dare not show my daughter those Playmobil Scooby Doo sets. I wouldn’t hear the last of it till she had every one. Dread to think what the total price would be for them all. I don’t think you would get much change from £400.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      Check HLJ from time to time (or backorder it), Real Grade kits are in no way a one-off release, but the first prints always flies of the shelves, especially from online retailers.
      b_k - indulge me with you Gundam knowledge. Are there certain grade kits that are only produced once? I would assume PG considering their usual price point?

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
        What about some Zoids??
        I like Zoids, but don't love them.

I find them a bit ugly, if I'm honest.
        The boxart is amazing, though, especially Zoidzilla and Gore look great.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
          b_k - indulge me with you Gundam knowledge. Are there certain grade kits that are only produced once? I would assume PG considering their usual price point?
          Only special versions exclusive to Bandai's online store (which you can get through proxy sites or the likes of Nippon Yassan) or outdated kits. Most kits are reprinted based on demand, so sooner or later every HG, MG, PG, or RG gets reprinted.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I like Zoids, but don't love them.

I find them a bit ugly, if I'm honest.
            The boxart is amazing, though, especially Zoidzilla and Gore look great.
            Yeah I can see that, they are cool but they aren't Gundam / Eva poseable or as interesting.

How about the Flame Toys Furai Transformers kits?

Introducing to the FURAI MODEL series: Thunder Cracker! – He is 5.9″ tall – Designed by Famous 3D modeling company TRIGGER, this is a modernized and shape optimized Thunder Cracker. – Excellent articulation with over 40 movable joints; you are able to set any pose easily. – The model kit is made of hard plastic ABS & PS. It is perfect for professional model kit users to make their own coloring style Thunder Cracker. – Joints are made of soft plastic so it will have a stable moving performance. – With different injection colors of runner parts and simple assembly design, it will also be suitable for model kit beginners. Model kit is made up of hard plastic ABS, it will be good for professional model kit FANS to make his or her own coloring style Optimus. Joints are made up of soft plastic so they will have a stable movable performance. With different injection color of runner parts and simple assembly design the Furai Model -05 – Thundercracker will be suitable for model kit beginners!

Skywarp, the 9th Transformers Furai Model, is here! Standing at 6 inches tall this modernized Skywarp has great articulation with over 50 movable joints. This model kit is made of hard plastic ABS & PS plastic which can be custom painted easily. With different injection colors of runner parts and simple assembly design, this is a model that is great for beginners and experts alike!

Standing 155mm tall Furai Model Megatron features over 40 points of articulation and is snap assembly ( non transforming ) Ages 12 and up.

Oh how about Voltron?

Neil

Comment

Yeah, those Transformers and Voltron kits are swiggedy sweet!

Thanks for your efforts, mate!

Comment

Yeah, those Transformers and Voltron kits are swiggedy sweet!

Thanks for your efforts, mate!
                No worries dude always happy to help

Yeah they all look pretty sweet & prices are pretty reasonable too

Neil

Comment

New arrivals this week
                  Some Nendoroids for a change

This time Edward & Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist
                  Forgot I had pre-ordered them until the invoice arrived
                  Buyers remorse then kicked in as I don't really need them but as I'd already paid the deposit seemed silly not to go through with them

Neil

Comment

Heeey Model Maker friends need some advise please can anyone give me a rough idea of how much effort is needed to build Bandai's HG kits?

Based on the fact that I have ZERO model building experience how difficult are they & how much fettling with Markers & the like is needed to get them looking anywhere near the way they should?

Does anyone have pictures of how the kits come in the box?
                    Are the instructions easy to follow?
                    Do you need glue or are they snap fit?

Got my eye on one or two & before I take the plunge I thought I'd ask you all for some advice

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      Heeey Model Maker friends need some advise please can anyone give me a rough idea of how much effort is needed to build Bandai's HG kits?

Based on the fact that I have ZERO model building experience how difficult are they & how much fettling with Markers & the like is needed to get them looking anywhere near the way they should?

Does anyone have pictures of how the kits come in the box?
                      Are the instructions easy to follow?
                      Do you need glue or are they snap fit?

Got my eye on one or two & before I take the plunge I thought I'd ask you all for some advice

Thanks

Neil
                      HG Kits are reeeeeally easy to build. You'll blaze it and possibly be a bit disappointed by how easy it was to build.
                      I'm a big fan of the RG (Real Grade) kits, that have a lot more detail to them and even an endoskeleton to build on.

I've built the 1/144 RG Gundam Astray Red Frame and really enjoyed making it.

You can get most of these kits for about £30 at https://www.gundammad.co.uk/.
                      The HG equivalent is about £16 there.

I should probably mention I recently got a couple of kits for my birthday.
                      I'm part way through the Evangelion build and loving it.

I don't think I'll have to do any panel lining afterwards as it's such a perfectly made kit.
                      I'm constantly wowed at the engineering of how the parts fit together.

I also got a little toolkit of Amazon for snipping and smoothing, which I found helpful.

The instructions are REALLY easy to follow and no glue is needed.

Honestly, dip your toe with an HG kit, love it and move up to RG or even Perfect Grade kits!

Comment

HG Kits are reeeeeally easy to build. You'll blaze it and possibly be a bit disappointed by how easy it was to build.
                        I'm a big fan of the RG (Real Grade) kits, that have a lot more detail to them and even an endoskeleton to build on.

I've built the 1/144 RG Gundam Astray Red Frame and really enjoyed making it.

You can get most of these kits for about £30 at https://www.gundammad.co.uk/.
                        The HG equivalent is about £16 there.

I should probably mention I recently got a couple of kits for my birthday.
                        I'm part way through the Evangelion build and loving it.

I don't think I'll have to do any panel lining afterwards as it's such a perfectly made kit.
                        I'm constantly wowed at the engineering of how the parts fit together.

I also got a little toolkit of Amazon for snipping and smoothing, which I found helpful.

The instructions are REALLY easy to follow and no glue is needed.

Honestly, dip your toe with an HG kit, love it and move up to RG or even Perfect Grade kits!

Thanks man you're a star as always

Glad to see you got the Prime kit, really interested to hear your thoughts on that
                        The Evangelion Kit looks good too

Hmmm might have to look a bit harder but it's just these caught my Eye on Ebay & I'm a sucker for Shogun Warriors

They have done others too

Neil

Comment

To add to what Chimp said: get a decent pair of nippers (Tamiya are readily available and cheap), maybe a cutter to clean off residues of a bad cut, and if you really want a black Gundam Marker with a fine tip for panneling.
                          Recent HG kits come with English and Japanese instructions, so it'll be a breeze.

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] this kit was a tenner and has everything you need.

Snips, scalpel, sanding boards, tweezers to apply stickers and scalpel to cut off any surplus plastic nubs.

Comment

Only thing about HG kits is to take photos you see of them online with a pinch of salt. I think they generally look quite poor unless you do a bit of work on them. A spraycoat of matte varnish goes a long way.

Comment

I have the same tool kit that Quality Chimp posted and can definitely recommend it.

I've built loads of HGs and a few RGs and don't worry about the complexity of any of them. Snip the part off the runner, clean the nub with either a knife or a file and then snap together.

If you want to panel line, get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HY8JI7C/ref=dp_cerb_1

I use that to panel line then a cotton bud with some nail varnish remover to wipe away the excess. And if you want to, use a matt top coat spray to finish.

You can do as little or as much as you want with the kits. The kits are really well made considering how cheap they are and look great no matter what.

My recommendation for where to buy is https://banzaihobby.com/ (not sure what shipping restrictions are like at the moment though). They're super chea. HGs for £5-£10.

And finally, if I can plug it, I'm on a podcast called Gunpla Club where we talk about kits and building!

Comment

Working...
                                X