Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    Why guilty & childish??

Nerdy is fine but why would you feel the other 2?
    Guilty for spending money on toys.
    Childish for spending money on toys.

Not a slight at anyone here, just my own attitude to buying expensive dust collectors.

So many amazing Transformers that I'd love to own, but can't justify crazy expenditure.

I bought these two in December as a pre-order because I was feeling pretty low at Christmas and wanted to regress to childhood a bit, if I'm honest.

I guess I always struggle accepting that I'm a grown adult buying toys! Physically, anyway.
    As Emgo says, “We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.”

The blow was softened a little because I walked in with my parcel to find my wife building the Potter LEGO Hogawarts Express train set she'd bought herself!

Comment

Definitely, I'm thinking the OG one in TF mode and Afterlife in vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I guess I always struggle accepting that I'm a grown adult buying toys! Physically, anyway.
        So if toys go digital you'll stop feeling childish?

Comment

Guilty for spending money on toys.
          Childish for spending money on toys.

Not a slight at anyone here, just my own attitude to buying expensive dust collectors.

So many amazing Transformers that I'd love to own, but can't justify crazy expenditure.

I bought these two in December as a pre-order because I was feeling pretty low at Christmas and wanted to regress to childhood a bit, if I'm honest.

As Emgo says, “We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.”

The blow was softened a little because I walked in with my parcel to find my wife building the Potter LEGO Hogawarts Express train set she'd bought herself!
          It's ok dude I fully understand that
          I won't lie from time to time I get buyers remorse within seconds of hitting the buy button

I buy a lot...as you know & most of it is ****ing expensive but it does bring me joy & it also takes me back to that feeling as a kid of opening up a new toy & at the moment I desperately need that

As you may have noticed my collecting habits have moved away from Transformers & I put that down to price & trying to keep up
          The masterpiece scale stuff that I collect is off the chain price wise & £100+ for figures that a few years ago were sub £70 just can't justify it
          Now I fully appreciate that Hasbro are turning out some amazing stuff domestically but their distribution model is so **** that I refuse to give them money when we get shafted left right & centre compared to our American cousins

So my emphasis has now switched to 1/6 scale figures as I just find them more fun to collect
          Granted not cheap...think in 2020 I got 5 new figures at a total cost of almost £1k but they are spaced apart far enough from deposit for Pre-order to actual release that I can chuck £20-£30 a month to one side to cover them on actual release
          In fact I think I probably have a few pots on the go at the moment waiting for the next ones to come out

I just buy what I can afford, when I can afford it & enjoy what I have
          No different to if I was buying games like most on here do...I just don't find gaming as rewarding as collecting toys & statues

But anyway I'm digressing from the point...never feel childish or guilty for pumping a little bit of your hard earned cash on something that will bring you a moment of happiness & spark a memory or 2 that reminds you of better times...we need all we can get.
          Buy it, enjoy it, make the most of it & just remember we are all still 10 deep down inside

Neil

Comment

I should probably state that I've just spent a load of PayPal cash on new figures, so don't worry about me too much!

Comment

I should probably state that I've just spent a load of PayPal cash on new figures, so don't worry about me too much!
              This makes me happy

Neil

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. For me, yeah, I think it's very easy to go overboard. It's easy to spend money on expensive toys and keep doing that to the point where, really, you just get that first buzz of seeing them and then that's really it - they get put away somewhere. And it's almost like the buzz (and regret!) is in the buying itself.

But I don't think there is any issue in buying toys that bring us happiness. That we appreciate. That we like to have. I think that's fine. I don't think age comes into it. Or maybe it does - maybe as I get older, I become better at allowing myself happiness where I can find it. If that's a moment of taking a toy off a shelf and just turning it in my hands for a few minutes, that has value and it's okay. It's good.

Comment

I don't smoke, rarely drink and rarely spend money on video games if I'm honest. My main spends are manga/ out of print second hand manga I am trying to collect and certain other small collectibles. I spent stupid money last year on the last few animal crossing cards if I added all what I spent together but I saw it as a monthly outgoing and the joy and friendships it brought were worth it.

At the moment I am collecting these small figures by CLAMP which are silly money still second hand but I will buy the odd one for over £10 every other month. I have spent too long reading depressing stuff on the internet and in the news that I want to embrace more that brings me joy even if it is non-productive and 'wastes money'. I don't allow it to get out of control with my finances and be a stumbling block in my life but I make more time to enjoy those things. I'll be honest, I have experienced more joy in the 'chase' of getting these missing volumes and cards and awaiting for them to arrive than the objects themselves.

I have a toy Wall-E I picked up in a charity shop years ago, im not even a massive fan of the film but this toy transforms from his box form into his robot self. Its charming and 'it sparks joy' playing with it for a few minutes. I have a few things in the house the other half initially asked why the hell I got them but I find him enjoying them too like our Wall-e and this wooden percussion frog I picked up from a different charity shop years ago we randomly find ourselves playing.

As long as it doesn't ruin you financially or become an obsession that ruins relationships, buying things for fun and happiness can't be a bad thing. I have seen some expensive lego/ figures I would love but have never dived into getting them. Some I still regret today, others I have planned to get in the future now I have had time to think and have concluded I am willing to get at that price now, others I have managed to get for a bargain and have been super glad I didn't buy on a whim years before at it's top price but I would have been sad if I had never managed to get it (My Mon-Sieur Bome Diebuster figure I use for this example)/

Comment

I'm fighting the urge to buy the Neca ED209.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      I'm fighting the urge to buy the Neca ED209.
                      Don't fight it...do it

Comment

Built this Helldiver (from Patlabor9, from GoodSmile's Moderoid series. Never built anything from this line before, and I think what you get fits perfectly the price range. The box and manual are on the premium side, full colour and printed on light plastified cardboard. Only three main colour for the runners (olive green, tan, grey), but I was surprised to see few pieces were painted right out of the box (forehead, waits detail, grey parts on the feet) and there are two sets of heads with three different "eyes" (clear, blue, and orange). Good movement range even in the shoulders, though Patlabor kits will always suffer if you don't use soft vynil (like Bandai's MG kits) or some custom solution. Still, it's a fun built that doesn't take a lot of time.

Also, new Frame Arms Girl. Ignored the armour for this one and left her half-naked.

Comment

Holy smokes, you guys!

A fantastic range of Thunderbirds Model Kits from AIP and Bachmann. From Thunderbirds 1 to 5 to FAB 1 and the Mole and much more - these kits are guaranteed to provide you with amazing nostalgia for all things Thunderbirds and International Rescue!

Thunderbirds Model Kits

All Thunderbirds Model Kits

"A fantastic range of Thunderbirds Model Kits from AIP and Bachmann. From Thunderbirds 1 to 5 to FAB 1 and the Mole and much more - these kits are guaranteed to provide you with amazing nostalgia for all things Thunderbirds and International Rescue!"

Comment

I'd be useless as making those but they look brilliant and well priced too. Thunderbird 2 was always the best

Comment

First wave of stuff arrived.

I opened Miller (Ratchet) and the two Stunticons, Beat Back (Wildrider) and Collide (Breakdown), but will look at Prime tomorrow.

First thoughts at how dinky Miller is, but an absolute marvel how these things transform into poseable robots.
                              Bit tricky on first transform, but got the idea.

The Stunticons, again, have excellent robot modes, but the cars are slightly compromised with the legs/engine, but are still impressive. Struggled to peg them properly, so I'll have another crack tonight.
                              They come with some extra parts, so they'll combine to make Menasor.

Although I love the Ocular Max/Mastermind Creations Assaultus (Bruticus), it's way out of my price league and I'm loving these smaller figures.

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with them, looking forward to being more comfortable with the transformation process

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X