Mecha Mad and Figure Fixation V3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of SDCC I had an Exclusive arrive today

New Masterpiece Optimus Prime in the form of the Ghostbusters Crossover version MP10G

The packaging is even made to be a wearable Proton Pack

Neil

Comment

Ah shaddup!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Ah shaddup!

Comment

Arrived today:

Comment

Comment

Went up the storage again yesterday & brought back another box of MP Transformers

Fanstoys Shrapnel & Reflector

Mp Tracks, Road Rage (Diaclone Tracks) & Bluestreak (Diaclone colours)
              Mastermind Creations Mirage

Also while rooting through I found a box that had been squashed at the back & on closer inspection it contained a casualty
              My RiD Fire Convoy has now seen better days

I'm absolutely devastated by it
              He is my favourite non G1 Prime by a long way
              I still remember buying him brand new at a Transformers convention called Decepti-Con way back in 2000
              Gutted that the box has suffered so badly
              I started looking last night at prices to rebuy one it's that bad

Oh well note to self...store stuff better

Neil

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION], I saw your pics on Twitter. Your storage unit must be an Aladdin's Cave of ace tat!

I'll talk about TFNation a bit.

Basically, this is a Transformers convention held at the Hilton Metropole in Birmingham and is three days of stalls, talks and events.

Now, I like Transformers, but I'm not obsessed, so maybe this was a step too far for me, personally.
                If you're a big fan, there were plenty of speakers and guests apart from Simon Furman (UK Transformers comic writer) to the voice of Grimlock in the cartoons.

There was a Gundam room this year, hosted by Gundam Mad and it was really good. They had a 5' Zaku statue, a case of models on display, a massive stall of stuff and some build tables. If you signed up to a newsletter, they gave you an entry-level model to build, so we ended up doing that before anything else! I clipped the bits and my son built it and it was really good fun to do together.

The main hall was for the dealers and this was OK, but I was ready to splash the cash, but there wasn't much to tempt me.
                The traders mainly had official lines and series I wasn't interested in (I'm not bothered with stuff post G1, where the alt-modes are anything but Robots in Disguise). There's a lot of 2nd-hand stuff that I'm also not interested in.

There were barely any third party stuff, with only Kapow Toys carrying a few alternatives that were higher priced than online and no real offers. No Transform Element, Magic Square, New Age and so on.

There were some really talented artists there (and some poor ones, IMHO) with some great art and some of them were drawing as they sat and it was great to see the pics take shape and show my son some of the shading techniques and so on. I particularly liked the work of Nate Hammond (https://www.deviantart.com/natephoenix).

There was a nice display from Flame Toys, but their stuff is so expensive!

I missed the cosplay show (my son was hungry and a bit bored by this point), but the guy who won first prize, handed the award to a younger cosplayer, in a really touching display of encouragement.

I'd parked in the nearby Resorts World and had lunch and a visit to their VR arcade to make the parking cheaper.

So, we had a lovely day and I must say that absolutely everyone we spoke to were lovely and generous, but I ended up feeling like I won't go again, because that's £40 I could have spent on a figure that wasn't even available at TFN. It scratched an itch I had, but I'm not a big enough fan to fully appreciate it and I don't know anyone in the fandom to have a pint with.

Comment

Nice write up QC.

Saw this in the local model shop and it was love at first sight.

Comment

Quite gutted I missed TFNation, I had no idea such a thing even occurred. I’ve now followed them on Facebook and they have next year’s event already planned so I’ll attend that.

Comment

Everyones favourite evil dorito finally arrived and in one piece, i was convinced those arms & legs were gonna come off during shipping as he's super fragile. Git keep asking me to shake his hand, lol nice try Bill i ain't falling for your crap lol.

Comment

Masotan Nendoroid just arrived

Comment

Since I know nothing about figures I thought I'd ask if this is a known one or not;

Comment

That's Char's Z'Gok from Gundam (0079, the original series). From the photo looks like a HGUC model.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              That's Char's Z'Gok from Gundam (0079, the original series). From the photo looks like a HGUC model.
                              Incredible knowledge thanks BK, just read the write-up, interesting.

It was in the toilets of a noodle shop we went to in Amsterdam last week.

Comment

The Z'Gok happens to be one of my favourite designs of the original Gundam and even of all series, it's a very unique design completely different from most Mobile Suits.

Comment

Working...
                                X