Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New speccy - its not April fools day is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link Charles. I’ve added my name to the list of creditors.

Back to Speccy Next stuff I’ve just bought a couple of Next games -

I like the dinky little boxes. I think they might be Vita boxes? The games are on SD card and self boot when you turn the Next system on. All I need now is the actual system...

Comment

All I need now is the actual system...
      That sentence sums up middle-aged geeks with too-much disposable income being unaware of the bizarre duality of thirsting for new technology and simultaneously wishing to be bathed in nostalgia.

No disrespect btw, I'm as curious about the next as most 40-50 somethings are!

Comment

You’re right though. My fondness for the Speccy and that simpler era of games does seem at odds with the desire to see a modern souped up model. I suppose it’s wish fulfillment in a way after time spent day dreaming about a Speccy successor which both Sinclair and the MGT Sam Coupe failed to deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
          being unaware of the bizarre duality of thirsting for new technology and simultaneously wishing to be bathed in nostalgia.
          Well, you could say it's bizarre that a game like 'Shovel Knight' was hugely popular when it probably uses 1% of the PS4's power.

The thing with the Spectrum Next, is it gives people who like to indulge nostalgia and retro gaming something to get excited about. You have a machine that looks like a Spectrum but with lots of extra bells & whistles to make things really interesting.

The Next is all about tapping into nostalgia and giving people games that look and feel authentically retro. I'm glad they limited the specs rather than just bung powerful tech in to enable quite modern looking games.

I've always said that making modern retro systems would be pointless if they were basically an Nvidia Shield. You need to severely limit the specs so developers make games that feel truly 8 or 16-bit. That makes sense to me, but I know some people think it doesn't. I think there are plenty of people who want retro-style games that have a strong connection to the past and feel truly retro.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-02-2019, 21:22.

Comment

Needs RGB out. As soon as you start sending video to an LCD at 1080p or above you've lost me. That doesn't feel retro at all, and I'd already have a Pi if that was my bag.

That's probably why I've forgotten about the Super Nt.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Needs RGB out.
              Yeah, that's definitely an important thing for a lot of retro gamers. I think more and more people are going back to CRTs because they realise using an LCD with retro stuff just doesn't look/feel right.

It would be cool if I could plug the Spectrum Next into my Trinitron.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-02-2019, 17:27.

Comment

RGB out - seems our prayers were answered.

Comment

Did people not learn from last time? The final hardware did turn out to be pretty decent and it wasn't as the disaster the Vega was, but the Plus went to Kickstarter in 2017, promised to deliver to backers in Jan 2018 didn't reach people until this year. The price has been jacked up by over £100 since last time too by the looks of it.

It seems that if you want to take all the kickstarter money, tapping into nostalgia is a good strategy.

Comment

Two points, even though I was never a Speccy person, but I do follow these projects. The version this time around has more bits in it afaik (AND component prices have risen since the original KS), and the taxman wanted a cut of the previous KS (and they hadn't budgeted for it), so they've had to increase the pledge price as no doubt more is going to the government coffers this time.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

All that expensive R&D doesn't have to be done again though - I just think £300 is really starting to push the limits, but obviously there are enough people willing to stump up the cash.

If they take 3 years to fulfil pledges again, that will really be taking the biscuit.

Comment

Alan Sugar might buy them all and add some dodgy parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X