Life is Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is Strange

Just finished episode one and here are some quick thoughts.

This is very much what you'd expect from an adventure game, with great characters held together with an interesting story. The rewind mechanic is executed well, playing a role in the story very nicely and it lets you check out the short term outcome of a decision without really having to make it.

Once the episode is finished you can load back up the different parts in a collectible mode and find some photo op moments which you might've missed during your play through. All the trophies/achievements are connected to finding these ten hidden moments and taking their photos. None were particularly difficult and some make use of your "powers."

Only being the first episode I can't really go into how much the decisions can effect the story but I'm not really expecting too much of a huge impact.

For me the script stands out really well, with a few pop culture references in thrown in here and there to add some life to the characters. Some of the dialogue thrown around is a little forced and distracting at times, almost like they're trying to hard with lines like "for cereal?!" but it doesn't take too much away and reminds me of teen movies from my childhood.

Overall an impressive first episode, slow paced but interesting enough to keep me holding on for six weeks till episode 2 is out.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

This looks very cool from what I've seen of it, the Giant Bomb quick look. Internal struggle as to whether I should get it for PS4 or PC though, decisions decisions.

This made me giggle too.

Comment

Can't say I was too impressed to be honest. Thought the script was poorly written. The execution questionable and wasn't too keen on the controls. Maybe it will get better but D4 and the Walking Dead series are better types of this sort of game IMO.

Comment

I just played it all in one sitting, I quite liked it.

There are a few dodgy script moments, especially the very hasty handling of Max getting her abilities near the start, but other than that I thought it was good.

I quite like this style of game, whether it's Monkey Island, Heavy Rain or The Walking dead. I really like the fact that you can answer a question posed by a character and if you don't like their response or you feel like you've put yourself in an awkward position later in the game, you can use Max's powers to redo that moment.

Originally posted by shaffy_oppa
        For me the script stands out really well, with a few pop culture references in thrown in here and there to add some life to the characters. Some of the dialogue thrown around is a little forced and distracting at times, almost like they're trying to hard with lines like "for cereal?!" but it doesn't take too much away and reminds me of teen movies from my childhood.
        The "cereal?" moment is intentionally a bit naff, Chloe even comments on it as being a bit childish.

The thing that actually annoys me the most is that Max looks like this in the Promo art

but looks much more normal in the game
        Last edited by EvilBoris; 01-02-2015, 20:52.

Comment

As a game enjoyed it... even tho this episode was basically an intro/tutorial and not much else.

The kids weren't too annoying, except Chloe and her constant use of "hella"
          Soundtrack is not my cup of tea, very Dawsons Creek!
          Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 02-02-2015, 17:49.

Comment

Is this one of those indie games where it feels like the programmers wrote the script as well?

As I find a lot of narrative driven indie games suffer from awful writing which ruins it for me. I know this isn't indie, but...yeah.

The comments above about the script have made me wary.

Comment

Just seen this on Live, & have downloaded the demo for now, as I have too many of these types of game to complete already.

Havent skated with the demo yet, but it looks pretty nice all round - characters, story, style.
              Will post my opinion asap

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                As I find a lot of narrative driven indie games suffer from awful writing which ruins it for me. I know this isn't indie, but...yeah.
                DONTNOD are an independent developer

Comment

So is it a 6/10 opinion like most reviews say?

Not a fan of this genre of games really, Walking Dead series didn't click with me like it seems to have with 99% of gamers.

Will try the demo at some point though.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    DONTNOD are an independent developer
                    Well in that case....does it have absolutely bobbins writing like most other indie games?

I suppose I should play the demo and find out.

Comment

Right, I had a play through this last night. I personally think it is a well written game with an intriguing premise, and the songs are beautiful. Angus and Julia stone even feature in the sound track which was definitely a nice surprise, however the first chapter while off to an exciting start, does end up slowing down to a snail pace, and doesn't really pick up till the end, so I did find myself getting bored. However it ended well enough with a decent twist to make me want to carry on with the second chapter when it comes out. Graphics range from low res textures on certain things like leaves of a tree, to some really beautiful moments, which I won't spoil here. Sound design is great, the only thing I'd say is that the first chapter was quite easy, the go back in time to fix mistakes (essentially a rewind button) and change choices does however leave for some tense moments, as apparently every choice can change the outcome of the game ending, however Mass Effect also promised this and we all got royally burned with that, so I am quite cynical about this when it's a feature of a game. But yeah, promising start.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
                        So is it a 6/10 opinion like most reviews say?

Not a fan of this genre of games really, Walking Dead series didn't click with me like it seems to have with 99% of gamers.

Will try the demo at some point though.
                        I think if you don't enjoy point and click games as a genre or things by Telltale games, then you probably won't like this.

But if you do want to play a game that is set in a fairly unique setting, with a unique lead character then it might be worth a look, I don't think this first episode is super gripping though and it is unlikely to change your mind if you aren't a fan.

Comment

Finished ep1 last night and generally I quite liked it. It's got a pleasing visual style about it and it's something easy going and light that can be sandwiched around all the other gung-ho stuff out there. Plot wise it's a mixed bag, I like the way the characters come across for the most part though the game seems to struggle with the balance of late teen issues and their impending maturity. One minute they come across very 13-14yr old cliche'd and the next way over aged and pretentious. A lot of the time it's kind of hard to believe you're in the shoes of an 18yr old. The slow spot towards the end of the up though where things moved away from

the school

brought things more in line though even if it was a bit slow.

I may well end up being entirely wrong but at the moment it feels like the overall plot is a little predictable, with so many seemingly stereotyped characters in play I'm hoping later episodes expand on them more as it does paint a picture in your mind of the full story quite easily so I'm very much hoping to be surprised later on, much of my final score I think rests on that. But, there's some good stuff in here and I feel hopeful that as the episodes go on it'll deliver on most of its promise.

Comment

Just sat down with Episode 3 and completed it in one sitting. Since Ep2 through now I've really come to enjoy these doses every 6 or so weeks. The latest ep is fairly pedestrian for the most part but the back end... I really want to play Episode 4 now.

Comment

Finished Episode 4 now, a somewhat more sedate episode but it wraps up nicely at the end. It'll be bittersweet facing the final episode next month as this has been the strongest game of its type I've played since probably Walking Dead Season 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X