No announcement yet.

Alien VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ripley in his drawings was covered in Alien stuff so seemed like it came straight from the Resurrection mixed DNA cloning story.

Comment

Hopefully he uses the years it's been since Resurrection to just jump to a point where she's off Earth again, given the original plan for his ideas I'm assuming he will do.

Comment

There's someone with a striking resemblance to Micheal Biehn in the sketches with what appears to be a scar from his acid burn in Aliens. As much as I don't like the idea of 'ignoring' the last two sequels it would be so much better for the franchise than the inevitable reboot that will come at some point.

Oh... and if they cast Jennifer Lawrence as Newt I'm going to go postal...

Comment

I have the same feeling about bringing Weaver back again as i do every time they bring Arnie back for Terminator.

Too old and they don't need to be in it to make a good movie.

Also the DC of Alien 3 is great, it's not close to Alien or Aliens but i still enjoy it. Resurrection isn't great but it has it's moments for sure.

I honestly want them to have another crack at AVP and do a decent job this time, the comics did it so well so i still have hope.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
            Also the DC of Alien 3 is great, it's not close to Alien or Aliens but i still enjoy it. Resurrection isn't great but it has it's moments for sure.

I honestly want them to have another crack at AVP and do a decent job this time, the comics did it so well so i still have hope.
            Get out.

Comment

**** alien3, that **** never happened. A4 was better but was still a million miles away from A1 n 2. Fox really fooked up with their eclectic choices of director for the last 2. Blomkamp seems to be a director born and raised on the same sci fi as most of us therefore I have faith. Halo, District 9, Elysium seems evidence of that. Goodness knows what he'll achieve in the Fox Aliens/Predator universe.

Comment

See I don't think they messed up with the directors of those at all. The talent involved in 3 and 4 I feel is very impressive. And yet look at the results. Ridley Scott brought us the first... and also Prometheus. The well was dry for 3 and 4. They were just sequels for the sake of sequels and studios did what studios do and they were messy. Prometheus is a whole other story but even that shows that there is a lot more to making a good movie than the director. I like Blomkamp but nothing makes me think he could elevate this beyond just another sequel any more than anyone else involved in those other ones.

At best this will have the cultural footprint of Predators. At worst, AvP.

Comment

For me, half the battle is tone. I know the studio meddled a lot with a lot of the follow ups but I don't think they got the right directors either for a lot of them.

Alien 3... they should have left him to do what we wanted as the DC is the better version so it would have turned out better but it still was off from the concept up and would never have delivered on what expectations would be by then. Taking an expectation of meeting a certain level of box office success aside I can appreciate Alien 3 on its own merits, it's a very interesting project, just not the direction they probably should have taken it in even if I understand the reasoning for it.

Alien Resurrection... Joss is clearly a very capable filmmaker and I know his plans were meddled with a lot but still... there's so much about it set up to fail that I could never buy that none of that was down to Joss or Jeunet. Too many core elements that were weak to begin with like half the plot and the tone of the directing.

The Vs films etc though, yep. Rank decision making and plainly commissioned as cash grabs

Prometheus... I feel it gets a worse rep than it deserves but again it's not stellar. A shame in a sense, even for Fox, as you'd assume Scott would nail it and his reasoning for abandoning the Alien made sense. He got way too carried away with the sc-fi behind it all though and forgot the elements that made the series work in the first place.

Blomkamp is really lucky, he's perfectly poised to make the film he wants to as Fox really has nothing to lose at this point. If he nails it though and it's a hit I can't imagine he'd do Alien 6 I bet the Fox camp would flair right up looking to cash in again.
                  Last edited by Neon Ignition; 19-02-2015, 22:37.

Comment

Attributing the outcome of a film to a single person (the director) is wrong, especially in the Aliens franchise where there is dozens if not hundreds of persons involved in the creative side of the production.

Alien and Aliens simply wouldn't be anywhere near as good without:

Ron Cobb's ship designs
                    H.R. Giger's alien designs
                    Syd Mead's Vietnam inspired marine designs
                    Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack
                    James Horner's soundtrack
                    Cast of both films
                    Derek Vanlint's cinematography in Alien
                    Adrian Biddles's cinematography in Aliens
                    Stan Winston's monster effects

The list goes on.

Alien 3 is the example of how not to make a film, Fincher started filming before there was even a finished script ffs... the DC is a completely different film, had Fincher stayed on till the end and had Fox bean counters not interfered constantly throughout the production it would have been a classic end to the trilogy.

If Blomkamp can get a good script, cast and crew then I have little doubt that he can make a decent film.

Comment

Can someone please explain how the DC of A3 is better? Killing off Newt and Hicks in the beginning of the movie was just criminal and unless theres a cut of the movie where they survived and helped Ripley get the chest burster queen out of her then dont bother

Comment

Alien 3 was a train wreck. I don't think it's entirely without merit but it's still a train wreck. The miracle for me when watching the raw Fincher stuff is that anyone was able to make a watchable movie out of it at all. Best part of that movie (dog/funeral scene) wasn't his. The disruption that is caused when a director is removed from a film is huge. It wasn't a decision made lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                          Can someone please explain how the DC of A3 is better? Killing off Newt and Hicks in the beginning of the movie was just criminal and unless theres a cut of the movie where they survived and helped Ripley get the chest burster queen out of her then dont bother
                          “You’re all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or do you want it on your knees? Begging? I ain’t much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say **** that thing! Let’s fight it!”

Alien 3 has its moments, and if you haven't seen the Assembly Cut I'd suggest you check it out.

Comment

You see, even that quote . . . . as great as it is taken on its own . . . minutes later becomes redundant because the way they tackle the alien. It like power pep talk and then fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              For me, half the battle is tone. I know the studio meddled a lot with a lot of the follow ups but I don't think they got the right directors either for a lot of them.

Alien 3... they should have left him to do what we wanted as the DC is the better version so it would have turned out better but it still was off from the concept up and would never have delivered on what expectations would be by then. Taking an expectation of meeting a certain level of box office success aside I can appreciate Alien 3 on its own merits, it's a very interesting project, just not the direction they probably should have taken it in even if I understand the reasoning for it.
                              Please elaborate. I just finished watching Aliens (which is good) and 1.5h of Alien 3 (which is good so far) but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Alien and Aliens had a very iconic style about them, though the second film expanded the science fiction and action elements it did so without compromising what worked about the original film. As a result, especially with the second film, people have a very definitive idea of what an Alien film should feel and look like and the type of things you should expect from them. Alien 3's vibe isn't that bad really, it's dark, dank and it's effective at ensuring you feel like Ripley isn't in a position of power throughout the film but it's also very dour which coupled with the plotting and shortage of characters the viewer can get behind can make it hard work to sit through at times.

By comparison Resurrection is pretty light in tone, fairly colourful, quippy. It's closer to Ripley: A Superhero Adventure at times than it is an Alien film. The spin-offs, there was no effort to make it feel like an Alien film in them.

Alien: Isolation is probably a good example of how to set the right tone for the franchise. It recreates a blend of the styling and character of the first two films which means that within minutes of starting it you're engaged as it's such an effective styling and instantly feels like you're within the franchises setting. By the time an Alien does show up you're genuinely on edge despite having seen the creature a thousand times before in other media.

If Blomkamp can nail that style and tone then he's on a good start to pulling off a satisfying entry. If anything is working against him at the moment it's having to rework his ideas to incorporate the existing films as Resurrection leaves Ripley in such a state that she's an ineffective lead to have in the film. I'm hoping there's none of that stuff from his drawings in terms of Ripley mixed with a Xenomorph, that's the kind of nonsense that made eyes roll with Resurrection.

Comment

Working...
                                X