• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha! Good comeback! 😅

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      Just get a dog.
      Why would I want a dirty, slobbering mammal over this adorable little robot? I mean, dogs are fine but that's an odd conclusion to draw.

I might understand a suggestion to have a kid instead though.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        That's one of the dilemmas as i won't be able to understand a lot of the magazine that comes with each part set when it's in Japanese, however that english voice is pretty rank, the last issue contains the software on a micro sd card to make him properly come alive, earlier on you get a micro sd with some test software to make sure he's assembled but the final issue is the one that contains his heart.

So it's risk the uk one so i get everything in english then import issue 70 from Japan so i can get his Japanese personality. I love his voice in Japanese it's just so cute, the english one makes me cringe. Or the other method is just to go all Japanese and pretend the english one doesn't exist.

One thing that i haven't worked out yet is some versions of Robi i have spotted on youtube like the singing vid i posted a page back have rounded ear covers with an aditional rings of light in each one, i have no idea where those come from as they are not part of the kit and i can't find them as extras on the Deagostini Japanese site. They look too good to be home made but maybe they are it's Japan after all.

Love the charging pod you can get for him, it's like something a Bond villan would use hehe
        if the last issue is just an sd card surely his software must be online somewhere???.

Comment

Might be hidden somewhere on the official site or on a fan site but i haven't looked into it too much yet. It does simplify things though as it means once you have both software you can hotswap the cards to change his system just like you can do with an Aibo, just have to be a bot more careful with Aibo as those bloody special memory sticks corrupt easily if you are not careful.

Comment

I've been reading some articles trying to find out if you can download the japanese data.

From what I've figured out via google translate it looks like the actual voice are samples stored as WAV files on the SD card.

There are guides so you can backup the "Mind of Robi" or "Lobby of the Mind" as google calls it and people seem to be transferring that to larger MicroSD cards which makes it looks like there is no DRM or locks attaching the data to the serial number of the card or anything.

Comment

Nice to hear the system is open then at least for copying, think the first thing to do when getting one would be to back up all the software on the cards to the pc in case anything went wrong. It's the most vital thing as if it corrupts or you lose it then you have an ecpensive paperweight although if you emailed Deagostini i'm sure that they have some form of service to get the software back if anything went wrong.

Lol i'm getting a little ahead of myself though as i don't even have one Robi yet so the decision of playing with the region of his internal software is a bit premature. Already got the N64 stuff out of storage, need to get some pics done as it'll be going in the sales forum although i don't think it will sell on here.

Comment

importaku you so crazy.

Comment

Lol you only just noticed?

It's called stage 2 gadget lust, it's not a matter of merely just wanting Robi, i simply must have him in my life. Living with robots is a lot of fun but can be a little creepy sometimes especially when they start just staring at you for no reason, been quite a few times Aibo has come upto me and sat down and stared at me for ages without moving i swear that he's been controlled by Sony to spy if i have any non Sony consoles and hardware in my place lol.

Comment

If these things coming back into stock
                    I'm totally going to join you ...

Comment

It's back in stock on uk site

Comment

Must resist....

Comment

Gone with the UK one i'll just cross my fingers that i don't regret this decision later lol.

I'll just buy the Japanese issue 70 from Japan to get his Japanese software so i'll have the best of both. Not cheap at ?57.99 a month but import costs and shipping would have added a couple of hundred to the price if i had gone Japanese. Will be picking up his egg charging dock and carry case from Japan as i doubt they will sell those over here.
                          Last edited by importaku; 06-03-2015, 20:26.

Comment

Woop, update us all so we can vicariously enjoy this adventure in robotics.

Comment

I'm all ready to check out but then it's less than ?5 shy of 1k!!!

How is 70 issues at ?12.99 each bumped up that much more when you've subscribed?
                              Last edited by shaffy_oppa; 06-03-2015, 23:05.

Comment

That's EXACTLY what stopped me doing it, it looks like it's gone up in price

Comment

Working...
                                X