Super Metroid small UK box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Metroid small UK box?

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Super Metroid from eBay. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed an error on the back with the alignment of the bullet points, as show in the picture below;

After I noticed that I started looking online and couldn't find a single mention of any versions of Super Metroid with that error. One thing I did find though was an old eBay auction for an apparently rare version the the game (or box), and one of the pictures used showed that it also had the error. The auction description said;

Here we have my most prized SNES game, this has got to be one of the rarest PAL SNES games out there.

Super Metroid was originally planned to be released in a standard sized box, but after the game was delayed, the publishers decided to release the large box with the 72 page guide as a way of saying sorry. Thus, only a few of the small box versions were made!

I have recently discovered that the small box version never even made it to release in the UK! After Nintendo decided to make the big box version, most of the small versions were used to promote the larger ones in shops often being thrown away after they served their purpose. I'm not sure how many of these small boxes still exist, but the number is VERY low!

What you get:

Cart
    Box
    Cart holder
    No instruction book as the instructions were integrated into the 72 page guide.

If you own one of these small box Super Metroids, you are in possession of a technically unreleased game!
    I have no idea if what he said is true as I can't find anymore information about it online. Does anyone here know anything about it?

I've only ever owned & seen the UK PAL version as a big box, never seen it as a normal size version, same goes for Yoshi's Island.

Comment

The small boxes are real. Back in the day I worked in HMV. We had a few of these small boxes from THE, who were Nintendo's official distribution dealer at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        I've only ever owned & seen the UK PAL version as a big box, never seen it as a normal size version, same goes for Yoshi's Island.
        I need to get a new Yoshi's Island box as I don't know where mine is, and when I'm looking it's the small box that I see 99% of the time,

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        The small boxes are real. Back in the day I worked in HMV. We had a few of these small boxes from THE, who were Nintendo's official distribution dealer at the time.
        Cool thanks, it's nice to finally know that it's legit. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard of or seen any others apart from that one. I like to imagine it's because they're really rare and valuable

Comment

I believe I've seen a couple of small boxes come out of Scandinavia, but yeah, they are pretty rare from what I gather.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Hi I just wanted to add that I have a friend that also has this box, he bought it yesterday in a shop in Belgium, and we also had the same doubts. The bullet point is also this way on his box. It's really hard to find more info about this version, so thank you!

Comment

Welcome stick around, we’re full of stuff like this.

Comment

Good work from Imgur too - 6 years old and the image is still available!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  Good work from Imgur too - 6 years old and the image is still available!
                  Ha, yeah! I went to SRK the other day to check the custom stick thread and nearly everything was dead. Pretty crap. I started using Imgur about 9 years ago now and it's been a solid service since.

Comment

Ah god, yeah, that is so true. Nothing worse than an older thread with 5 billion broken Photobucket hotlinks. Imgur is the GOAT free image upload platform for sure.

Comment

This thread is reminding me of that argument I had about the single-disc PAL PS1 version of Symphony of the Night, with an old art college bud back in about 1998.

Yeah, I'd seen it on a stall on Huddersfield Market the previous Saturday and when I told said mate the following week, he wouldn't believe me and whatever I said, I could genuinely sense he would never believe me.

So, I went back the following week and it wasn't there anymore.

And I never got believed. Even though I saw it.

Comment

Nobody online believes that the Japanese version of Power Stone 2 has a 50Hz/60Hz option screen when played on a chipped PAL machine, but it does.

Comment

I have also just obtained one of these 'rare' boxes... does anyone have any more insight on wether they are genuine?

Comment

Originally posted by botchedpiledriver View Post
                            I have also just obtained one of these 'rare' boxes... does anyone have any more insight on wether they are genuine?
                            Hmmm; I thought Super Metroid only came out in the UK as the big box release? This presumably isn't AUS, either, because of the ELSPA rating.

What counts against it for me is the roundle saying "contains giant players' guide", because I always assumed this label was on the big box to explain why it was in a huge box.

Comment

Yeah this was my thinking too... also, it has French & German subtitles hardcoded into it?

Comment

Working...
                              X