No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would that not have applied to the 2016 one though? Or did it just apply to films where they were in them starring as the Ghostbusters?

Comment

I'm not sure when it comes to the 2016 version, it could have been that reboots were exempt but like that film they always want Murray involved somehow anyway. It would have been easy to move on without him so it wouldn't surprise me if it did include the 2016 version in that clause. Ramis died in 2014 so events wise it could be that Murray agreed post-Ramis and that's how 2016's film came about, especially as it asked of little from him.

Comment

Booked in for tomorrow, Dolby Digital recliner room :thumbs:

I'm going to try and keep in mind that whilst this will clearly play to the OG crowd a lot I should be expecting a lot of explaining stuff I already know as they'll be hoping to suck in a new gen audience too. After this many delays it's amazing it's finally here, Top Gun Maverick feels like the only other film who's release is drawn out so long now.

Comment

Nice one. I have go wait until February to see this. Strange how bond and Matrix 4 are released the same time as the rest of the world but we have to wait for Ghostbusters. Its not like they need time to translate it.

Comment

Yep, it's been delayed more than enough so should just be out everywhere at this point. Utterly nuts that we're looking at the old GB, old Spider-Men and Neo all returning over the next 4 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Nice one. I have go wait until February to see this. Strange how bond and Matrix 4 are released the same time as the rest of the world but we have to wait for Ghostbusters. Its not like they need time to translate it.
              It's probably just because Bond and Matrix are much more popular. Star Wars and the Avengers stuff release at the same time worldwide but, for example, both Jurassic Worlds released a few months late. At the other end of the scale, we got Dune a week before the UK.

The translations are done and dusted in advance but the theatrical releases are probably delayed to prioritise Japanese films and bigger Western films.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                It's probably just because Bond and Matrix are much more popular. Star Wars and the Avengers stuff release at the same time worldwide but, for example, both Jurassic Worlds released a few months late. At the other end of the scale, we got Dune a week before the UK.

The translations are done and dusted in advance but the theatrical releases are probably delayed to prioritise Japanese films and bigger Western films.
                Japanese films bigger than Ghostbusters III? Nah, that's never going to happen, lol.
                Maybe they are delaying it due to having something worth showing after the Christmas rush? I can't think of any big movies scheduled for release then so maybe.....
                Not to worry I guess. We've waited years so far so two more months shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

I'll write up properly later. It's definitely true that your mjndset going in will heavily colour what you think coming out but multiple internet speculation fears fail to come to pass and following Bond I get to summarise in a way [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] will be happy to see me post...

It was good

Comment

So, what to say. I think, like we've discussed on here before, there are several factors to contend with that the experienced viewer needs to consider before going in:

1 - This is not made to be just like GB and GBII. You couldn't recreate those films now accurately and it's wise not to try.
                    2 - There's a need to course correct from the 2016 film and also establish to modern or new viewers which world this takes place in and what everything in it is and is about
                    3 - The original two films don't deep dive into their lore but it is hard baked into the Ghostbusters canon that everything is connecting to Ivor Shandor and his plan to summon Gozer ala:

I'm not going to discuss specific plot points in the spoiler tag, I'm just going to talk about the films aims and delivery etc but till others have seen it I'll tag it for those who want to remain as 'going in blind' as they currently are.

I know the 2016 was a live subject when it came out and the idea of the studio quickly turning out a 'replacement' has been controversial for some too but coming out of the film I feel like the reviews that have torn into Afterlife really are just p***y that the 2016 film has been tossed aside. I expect people will moan the original is the best and where this sits against it etc but before the pre-title sequence was done I felt like it was abundantly obvious that the quality bar between Afterlife and Answer the Call isn't even in question.

Afterlife is a modern Ghostbusters film acknowledging its predecessor. Effectively like Force Awakens where it evoked the style of the OT but modernised everything, however in this instance it feels more connected. The film has been torn into for not being enough like the old films and at the same time slagged off for being too different, it can't be both ways.

This is the core family's film, it's about them. Whilst the kids (only two of them have even reached their teens) are central to the action the posters etc have been misleading in a way. It's not about a group of teens taking over the GB mantle and having a line of sequels be about them, it's a family film about introducing a new generation of audience to the franchise and providing some semblance of trilogy closure to the original two films.

For me, it did it. If they find themselves making more entries going forward I would want something closer to what we've all imagined for years - a new team, new threats etc but if you slide the reboot aside it's worth bearing in mind that whilst many will point out that Ghostbusters isn't a franchise with the weight behind it like Star Wars has it is able to sell tons of merchandise etc to this day due to the fact it is none the less a well loved film and the waiting gap between GBII and Afterlife makes the wait between Star Wars films or other big franchise belated sequels look like child's play. To indulge in some fan service after a 30-40 year gap isn't a big deal. Especially when it's done decently, following a misfire, and with some heart behind it.

For the next bit I'm going to reference specific bits etc, do not expand unless you've seen it or really don't care:

Breaking down by character for ease:

Phoebe - I really liked her, Grace nails the role. It says a lot that when the final battle arrives and it's clear that the old cast will be in it so little I wouldn't have been bothered if they hadn't have turned up because she could carry it herself. She helps prove that the franchise doesn't need the core cast to work as long as fitting characters and actors are chosen.

Podcast - He's amusing, hard to say much else because he's pretty one dimensional, but he leans some Goonies vibes in and I suppose is the Ray of the film. No issues with him and he has some good moments.

Phoebe's Brother - I can't remember the character name, but the Stranger Things kid is solid. More of a means of speeding Phoebe through some scenes but decent like usual.

Diner Girl - Can't remember her name either, the weakest one because she's so bland but it never really comes across as though she's there for more than to give the brother some narrative direction.

The Mother - Carrie Coons really nailed this one too, she's surprisingly decent at balancing the drama/humour tone. At times like Dana merged with Peter

Gary - Rudd suits this all too well, I'd happily see him come back but I'm not sure that's the intention

Shandor - Was surprised we got to see him, especially given how brief it is and that it's JK Simmons.

Gozor - Could tell that it was Olivia Wilde this time but what I liked was that despite knowing the beats they made her feel like a threat, the moment when it becomes clear the streams aren't enough...

Muncher - Hard to say much, to be honest he's pretty much Slimer but he helped give us plenty of Ecto-1 eye candy

Janine - Way to brief an appearance and she was clearly still helping Egon so it's odd Phoebe never tries to contact her again

Ray - Felt odd at first effectively using Murray's real life fall out with Ramis as a plot point for Ray and Egon but after it made sense. Ray was the believer, the eager lover of the GB and GBII briefly showed how he became jaded when things fell slow. The idea that that jaded mindset post-ghosts would return fits and with Egon running off with the equipment, car etc it's a match that Ray would feel betrayed that the Ghostbusters had been taken from him.

Peter - I wish we could have had Murray in it longer, what little we get isn't classic material but it's more like old Bill Murray than we've seen properly in years. I like the idea that he's spent his life being tamed by Dana.

Winston - The super rich angle felt a stretch, somewhat goes against the old set up, but I liked the idea that of the four of them it's Winston who is brought into this life as an ordinary guy and experiences something so profound that it leaves him as the one to feel he can do anything and retains an appreciation for it too. It's clear he's supposed to be the lynch pin if there's future sequels and it's a nice way to pay off what's been an underwritten character.

Egon - Easily the one I think most will be divided on. Personally, I was fine with it, it's a bit shmaltzy but again if you consider the two films and games together it makes sense that Egon would want to fully uncover the recurring Shandor pattern and therefore still be at it later on. I'm more wary of the idea he got as far as having a kid but that aside it probably wouldn't have felt right either leaving him out from this either. I'm fine with it as long as it's left at this point.

An FYI - The film has two post-credits sequences

Neither is essential but both are nice as wrap ups to the franchise if it comes to that. If not it's clear that the second one is suggesting exactly how the franchise actually intends to proceed and how the threat will come about

So yeah, take it for what it is, a fun ride with Spengler's family to wrap up a trilogy and snag a new audience.
                    If ranking is your game for me it's:

GB > Afterlife > GBII > Answer the Call
                    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 19-11-2021, 22:00.

Comment

I'm happy to read that you rank this better than GB2. That gives me hope of watching a good movie. Roll on February!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        It was good
                        You liked something?!

Comment

Kermode & Mayo - BBC 5 Live:

"Jason Reitman takes on his father’s legacy in his new Ghostbusters sequel, Afterlife. Ignoring the contentious female-centred reboot from a few years ago, this new film apparently gives the franchise “back to the fans”, according to Reitman, with Egon Spengler’s daughter and grandchildren taking on the ghost busting mantle when their small farming town is beset by spooky happenings. Based on a certain portion of the fans’ behaviour when the last film came out, this is pretty much the movie they deserved – empty nostalgia, ill-judged call-backs and toe-curling cameos".

Comment

Yep, the negative ones all read the same. Like doing something in canon with the originals and that plays to yhe fanbase is another attack on the 2016 film so thereforw this one has to be kicked down. Drubbing it for nostalgia alone is a shallow take on the film

Comment

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE. With Mckenna Grace, Finn Wolfhard, Carrie Coon, Paul Rudd, Logan Kim. Written by Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman. Directed by Jason Reitman. Rated PG-13 for supernatural action…

Comment

One minutes googling and as usual point proven again. The same reviewers review of the 2016 film from 5 years ago not only scoring that film well but showing that he copy pasted that review to knock out the new one. Lazy and off product

Comment

Working...
                                X