Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought the review was funny.

I like Ghostbusters 1, 2 and 2016. I'll probably go see Afterlife. I might even enjoy it as a film on it's own merits.

Comment

Yep, I fully expect it won't please everyone as some are definitely going to find it parallels the original too much.

It's nuts that what is effectively a female led film that ignores its predecessor is pulled up for not canonising a female led predecessor that failed to canonise its predecessor. Presumably we can expect No Way Home and Matrix 4 to get 0/5's too unless it's targetted

Flip side, not that aggregates are a benchark but its at 92% on User RT atm so seems like Sony has another film where the audience is in a very different headspace to the critics

Comment

Just got back from it, I've been seeing all sorts lately as the cinema is somehow still charging the £3.50 a pop they introduced after they re-opened from lockdown.

I enjoyed it. Without any spoilers, I think it does a good job of being its own film and doesn't rely too heavily on pandering towards the original. There are some jokes and references, but they really don't feel too crowbarred in, which I did worry about. I was also worried it might go too heavily down the lines of being a Stranger Things ripoff, but I think that was more the work of the marketing department than how it actually goes down (other than being small town America and there's kids in it). There's some compromises made towards the original canon, but I can't think of any other way they'd have done it without making this film much worse. I can only really offer very mild criticisms - some B-plot stuff seems a bit thin and unnecessary, a few characters aren't that fleshed-out. Ultimately it doesn't matter that much.

It's one of these things where I think critics maybe will find it divisive, but only if they're trying really hard to dislike it. All I can say is this - the audience was incredibly broad and made up of everything from middle-aged couples to little kids, everyone seemed completely engaged by it. It's just a nice and charming film where I didn't get bored or keep thinking "that's stupid". I am very cynical myself about remakes, reboots, late sequels and I think they did a great job of making something that carries over a lot of the fun of the original whilst being its own thing.

I'd give it a very strong B+, would recommend it.

Comment

Watched it a second time yesterday. Having seen it and Jr1 having been nagging to see it due to the barrage of ads on kids tv I decided to chance it given when it comes ot live action stuff his attention span struggles when the action stops.

Thankfully it worked, it had its hooks into him from the get go and he loved all the key moments in it. Purely from the endless merchandise etc he was able to spot some OG elements which he loved noticing too. Always a winner when you take one of the kids to do something and they later declare it 'the best day of my whole life' . On second viewing the little one liners etc kind of wizz by without much notice but the film feels much more brisk, just kind of going along for the ride it's a very pacey film on rewatch and was just as enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Yep, the negative ones all read the same. Like doing something in canon with the originals and that plays to yhe fanbase is another attack on the 2016 film so thereforw this one has to be kicked down. Drubbing it for nostalgia alone is a shallow take on the film
            Both people I know who didn't like Afterlife both hated the 2016 film too so...
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Both people I know who didn't like Afterlife both hated the 2016 film too so...
              Yeah but the 2016 film was ****.

Comment

Home media out in Febraury. One person has spotted something about the Ultimate Collection release.

Comment

It makes sense to bundle those three films together because they are part of a single continuity. It does not, however, make sense to call it an ultimate collection.

Comment

That's right

They've not filmed GB4 yet

Comment

Expunged from history due to offence caused to internet nerds.

Comment

Those who scored high on the "Get the **** over yourself"-o-meter.

Comment

For those that missed it, earlier this morning, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the complete list of special features and extras that'll be packed inside the upcoming 8-disc 'Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection,' confirming the inclusion of 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray renditions of Ghostbusters (1984), Ghostbusters II (1989), and Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021), as well, digital copies of all three of those films along with Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (2016).

Update to say Ghostbusters: Answer the Call will be included in the Ultimate Set but only as a digital download

Comment

I’ll have to leaf through the previous few pages to see what the consensus is on this, but on the whole my wife and I loved it. Yes, there were parts of it that were lazy as **** or didn’t land, but it had charm. At least for us. And I’m not going to lie, a very emotional finish for us. I’ll definitely take a follow up to this more fully fleshed out. A good 3.5/4 out 5.

Comment

Yep, I really liked it. It really grabbed me. Yes, a few bits for me late into the movie leaned a bit too hard into the first movie and a few cringe things (“Podcast”, even though I loved the character) but I really liked it overall. Just watched it last night.

Comment

I watched this in a double bill with Matrix Resurrections on Friday.

I really liked this one. I liked what they did with the whole afterlife story and even though it follows the identical path to the original it just has charm. In a lot of ways it felt to me like The Goonies fused with the original story, and that's no bad thing.

As for the Matrix... well, sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X