No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as Reitman loves the franchise this will have several core issues it has to contend with first and foremost:

1 - It has to serve as a worthwhile continuation of the original canon
    2 - It has to dispel the memories of the failed reboot
    3 - It has to serve as a foundation for further films
    4 - It has to make the franchise relevant for 30 years of change in cinema

There's no way of recreating the original two films and that in of itself is probably for the best. You couldn't make an outright 80's recreation these days and sell it to new audiences despite how much Stranger Things suggest otherwise. All these 80's themed shows are 80's in surface only and GB3 needs to be relevant to modern audiences. Plus, as much as we don't need a Paul Feige led entry we also don't need a GB remake of the original, that's a large part of where GB2 itself went wrong.

I've also got a suspicion that this trailer and the films opening will also be about as far as the Stranger Things vibes go too, it's far too obvious a trap to fall into especially when the show itself has already indulged that itch. Personally, I'm less worried about the lack of humour in the trailer because I don't doubt it's not missing from the film and approaching the series from a comedy perspective was exactly where the reboot went wrong from the outset. As much as people love to consider it a comedy franchise I think that mostly comes down to the actors backgrounds. It's no more a comedy than most modern quippy big budget movies, it always meant much more and was seen as much more by Aykroyd. Add the classic actors (who are in there), the music (that's in there) and some good lines and it'll snap into feeling like GB3 in no time.

Comment

Ever so slightly alternate version of the trailer:

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

But yes, you can safely assume I think you might have something against women when your comedy requirement is ‘male’. That’s pretty implicit in that statement.
        Bloody hell... do you ever properly read my posts? I didn't say anything about "male" being a requirement in any medium.

You really need to be more open-minded and fair. Reading people's posts without prejudging them would be a good start. You have a bad habit of getting an idea in your head -- like some kind of programming code -- and then can't sway from that train of thought.

Anyone can read my last few posts and see that I'm not anti-female. I actually expressed my appreciation for Sigourney Weaver and that I like some female comedians, singers etc.... It's just a fact that a large percentage of my favourite actors, comedians and singers happen to be male. That doesn't have anything to do with being some sort of misogynistic bastard.

I have nothing against women. I simply said that I love the original Ghostbusters formula and would like more of the same. I think lots of Ghostbusters fans would appreciate what my point of view is about -- and it has nothing to do with being anti-female.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-12-2019, 00:09.

Comment

I can’t be sexist - I have a mother! Dude, you need to look deeper into yourself and your need for willies. But this is derailing the thread so I’ll leave it there.

NeonIgnition, for me (and admittedly it’s just for me personally), the film doesn’t have to do a single one of those things. All it has to do for me is this - be an entertaining movie. I think anyone putting a whole bunch of conditions attached to the movie will quickly find some box not ticked and that’s no way to watch a movie, in my view. As for Ghostbusters being a comedy, it is a comedy. There are many different types of comedies and they don’t all feel the same (it was never an Airplane type comedy if that’s what you mean as it was all character driven) but it is a comedy. If nothing else, Rick Moranis saw to that. The new trailer, on the other hand, has very little yet to suggest it is but, like you, I think the original elements will bring that. I do think we’re seeing a difference in tone though.

Comment

I think we have witnessed a new rmoron crystal skulls moment here

Comment

Yep, as a viewer it just needs to be a good film. What I meant with that checklist (I should have made it clearer) is that's what Sony will need the film to be. Whilst we're hoping it's a worthy GB3 they'll be hoping it's a successful Launchpad for GB4, 5, 6, the planned animated movie, spin-offs, merchandising etc and the 2016 will have made that harder by taking away some of that freshness for new audiences and goodwill from long term fans.

Comment

Oh yeah, I get you. You’re right. I feel that’s often the downfall of movies these days. If they just aimed to make a great movie, it could be those other things instead of Terminatoring it and trying to relaunch a franchise each time.

Comment

It's one of the concerns I have about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse. Sony pulled that one out of the bag and before a sequel even got into motion they were talking about the ability to make spin-off series and films etc. They're still incredibly desperate to have a bankable established running franchise and I think one of the reasons they're so keen on GB being potentially that golden goose is because unlike their success with Spider-Man, Bond etc they wholesale own Ghostbusters. The Lego Movie showed though that you can nail that landing but fail to extend it to the sequel. If this one fails I'm assuming outside of merchandise the franchise will be dead for another very long time.

Comment

Yep, you're right again. I find myself unsure of how that really all lands these days in the sense that I feel Ghostbusters has proven itself as a very valuable and extendable franchise - the '80s proved that. But on the other hand, we live in a very different world and the TV world of the '80s is simply gone. The toy landscape is completely different. So another part of me thinks that Ghostbusters (and any other franchise) has to work in entirely different ways now and is far from a slam dunk. And maybe trying to be what it was in the '80s is a recipe for failure... or at least a disappointment (often I can't classify these things as failures because it's more about expectations just being too high).

Anyway, that's not my concern really and I do feel it has tainted movies to the point where we just can't get a movie like, I don't know, Jaws these days. All I want is a fun movie and to see Murray, Aykroyd and Hudson do their thing. If we get that, I'll consider it a win regardless of what else happens.

Comment

Fingers crossed that's what we get. I think, straying eyes away from this trailer a bit, the original teaser adds weight that there will be an attempt to make this feel true to the original two films. If it works (and I'm still praying they've kept the budget in check) then I imagine all bets are off.

I think I'm more surprised that Sony hasn't yet attempted to tap into the kids market with a series and merchandise cartoon revival of The Real Ghostbusters line

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I think I'm more surprised that Sony hasn't yet attempted to tap into the kids market with a series and merchandise cartoon revival of The Real Ghostbusters line
                        I can tell you with 99% certainty that this has been developed several times over the last decade to various degrees but, again because the children's media landscape is completely different now (this is what I work in and, really, nothing works like it once did at all), if it happens, it won't be what people remember and it won't be aimed at old fans. The reaction to the Thundercats reboot a while back (whatever happened to that?) is what I'd expect in some shape or form!

Comment

Ecto-1 powersliding through the cornfield was boss. It gave me chills.

Comment

In my head Sony would make something like a cross between the style of the kids books:

And the Extreme Ghostbusters

Comment

There aren't many of those types of cartoon made any more outside of Marvel and DC superhero output (and TMNT, I guess). Europe has a whole bunch of them but they rarely travel. I think it's largely down to the demise of the Saturday morning cartoon.

Comment

They should do one where the ghosts themselves are also characters, who are always trying to get away from the Ghostbusters. So it's kind of like Tom and Jerry meets the Ghostbusters cartoon meets Argh! Real Monsters.

Dogg, I assume my cheque will be in the post for that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X