No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather they had been Ghostbusting the whole time. It could have some poignant and comedic moments to start due to their age and perhaps, with the loss of Egon, they know they need to pass the torch. It would feel more organic than just someone stumbling on the Ecto1 and wondering what it is and then having a pointless explanation to the audience who the ghostbusters were, as if we don't already know.

Comment

I like the forgotten pop stars idea. That’s cool. I think the idea of them having gone their separate ways, the Ghostbusting long in the past, is a nice one. “Coming out of retirement for one last mission” is hackneyed but I think it could work nicely here - I love the original film but it isn’t Ibsen, this doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel so much as hit the right emotional beats and engage the funny bone.

I can imagine one kid has a load of GB memorabilia in his room, he’s a super fan. He forms a Ghostbusting society with classmates. When an exploration of a local spooky location reveals real evidence of ghosts, he gets in contact with them via a YouTube video appeal that goes viral. At first they refuse, there’s bad blood and anyway, the ghosts are gone. But when he produces evidence that even cranky Venkman can’t deny, Winston and Stantz persuade him to reunite in the kids local town for one last mission. But there’s one catch - they’ll need the kids to be with them, for reason X which I haven’t thought of.

Something like that would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        Implying they weren't drastically digitally de-aged in this photo lol. I'm pretty sure they just cut Sigourney Weaver's face out of a poster from the ORIGINAL movie and stuck it on with pritt stick.
        Revenge of Photo the Shop indeed.

Comment

I think that's why I assume in this one or more likely a fourth (if this one is a hit) they'll establish that Zuul, Vigo etc are precursors to a greater outbreak of ghosts from a larger threat. Aykroyd has already been keen on opening up the GB universe to the idea of HQ's around the world etc, they could do that with this one but the teaser and nature of the project makes me think they'll keep this one simple and see how they go.

There are definitely a few lessons to be learnt though for this one, I'd say the biggest ones are:

01 - It has to retain some level of horror tone
          The teaser immediately suggests they're doing this, avoiding the almost Scooby Doo level of tone the reboot had in favour of something along the lines of the originals and current horror trends.

02 - Audiences need to really back off the comedy angle

One of the big failings of GB16 was that it approached the franchise like it was a comedy. Whenever I see comments from people who berate the reputation of the original film it's often quickly followed up by how they didn't find it hilarious. Somehow, likely because of how it was classified at the time of its release and its cast backgrounds, people get the wrong idea that this is The Hangover with spectres or something but Ghostbusters 1&2 only contain humour in the same way and to the extend that a Marvel movie does etc. It's there but it's not a stream of jokes being set up and knocked down, I think that's why so many previous script attempts have failed as well. You don't get the writers of The Office to write a screenplay for GB. But trailers need to help make sure that newer audiences expectations are properly in check on this front.

03 - It needs to be concise in setting up its world

My three year old son has never sat down and seen the films, he's barely seen any film. However, he loves Ghostbusters. I haven't pushed it on him, it comes more from thinks like the Halifax adverts etc and the really important part is that from very little he has quickly learnt what the franchise is, understands the concept of it, how the idea of using proton packs to catch ghosts works and adores the whole thing through sheer appeal. He didn't need long exposition dragging down the film, he didn't need a cringe worthy slap stick scene in a back alley or the such to get there and if he didn't then adults don't either. I think it was someone on Era who said how the lift scene in GB1 is the perfect exposition scene because it sets up the scenario they're in, how proton packs work, how the characters feel about the equipment and the task at hand and it takes place in a perfectly delivered 20 odd second runtime, GB3 needs to be tight and smart like this.

04 - Constraint and Adhere to the Canon
          Simply to resist the urge to go over the top in case they don't get to make a sequel. The GB crew shoot Zuul once properly in GB1 then get showered in Marshmallow and it feels more impactful than a lot of the CGfest the reboot delivered. They also need to catch ghosts, not 'kill' them like the reboot seems to do a lot. I don't want to see Bill Murray using proton whips or getting lethal radiation poisoning from licking the nuclear end of a proton gun

I've seen GB1 and 2 relatively recently so oddly enough all this GB3 stuff has put me in a weird mood to rewatch the reboot. I remember some nuggets of decent moments and scenes in a film that was very misguided, poorly cast and poorly executed but having it as a one off now outside of the canon makes it a bit more of an odd curiosity piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            I'd rather they had been Ghostbusting the whole time. It could have some poignant and comedic moments to start due to their age and perhaps, with the loss of Egon, they know they need to pass the torch. It would feel more organic than just someone stumbling on the Ecto1 and wondering what it is and then having a pointless explanation to the audience who the ghostbusters were, as if we don't already know.
            I like this idea very much.

Comment

I don't like the idea of a 'Stranger Things' sort of vibe with child actors, simply because kids have to go to school, and kids aren't allowed to drive. Ghostbusters was about a group of adults who opened a business.

Also, even if it were simply a young[18-21] cast, I think that might make it seem a bit juvenile. So, I reckon a wide range of ages and having both sexes involved would be the best option. Creating a mix of interesting characters for future Ghostbusters movies is important. In a business you usually have all sorts of ages and both sexes, so I think that would be the best option seeing Ghostbusters is a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I don't like the idea of a 'Stranger Things' sort of vibe with child actors, simply because kids have to go to school, and kids aren't allowed to drive.
                I actually spat my coffee. Like people do in films, only real. Comedy gold!

For me, if they could cross Goonies with Ghostbusters, that might lead to the best film ever. But in reality I think they'll be faced with the same challenge Star Wars had: trying to tell a story about new characters because the old characters are old but they totally overshadow the new characters. It's either a story about three old guys for fans of the original or it's a story of young characters for a new audience but it's a really tough job doing both. It can be done but it's not easy.

Comment

I don't like the idea of a 'Stranger Things' sort of vibe with child actors, simply because kids have to go to school, and kids aren't allowed to drive. Ghostbusters was about a group of adults who opened a business.
                  It's true, the big draw of the original Ghostbusters was the fact that the characters could all drive.

I'm being facetious, but I really don't get the point you're trying to make here!
                  [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] I actually thought Star Wars Episode VII did a terrific job of that. Not easy though.
                  Last edited by wakka; 22-01-2019, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] I actually thought Star Wars Episode VII did a terrific job of that. Not easy though.
                    Yep, I think so too. It was a challenge but I loved the new characters so quickly that I just wanted to see more of them even when we got the classic characters back. One thing I think they did right with that was lead with those characters first. So it was their story right away rather than them being distractions in the story of the characters we really came to see.

I know I'm not among a large crowd here but Tron Legacy totally nailed it for me too. And it took a similar approach to The Force Awakens in the sense that, for a large part, it could be accused of being a remake with new characters but old Flynn was brilliant. I love that movie.

I'm also going to bring up an entirely different example: Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. Because what Star Trek 2 did is it not only acknowledged that the characters were now older but it made large parts of the story about that. Same with Star Trek 6. A different approach but one that I feel worked really well.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      but I really don't get the point you're trying to make here!
                      Adults. Scientists. Business. Driving a Cadillac.

Kids wouldn't have the education and skills to deal with the science side of Ghostbusters. Kids couldn't run a Ghostbusters business. Kids couldn't drive the Ghostbusters car.

So, as much as I like 'Stranger Things', I wouldn't want Ghostbusters to embrace that sort of thing. Stranger Things is about a bunch of kids, who truly act like kids, having to face an evil force. That's what makes it so interesting and charming. Ghostbusters was about a bunch of cocky guys starting a business and having to tackle the paranormal using science.

I'd much prefer the old Ghostbusters to hand the business to a group of adults who know what they're doing. I have no desire to see the franchise turn into something focused firmly on kids and teens, where it's all extremely ridiculous with kids/teens dressed up as Ghostbusters and tackling the paranormal when they're not at school.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-01-2019, 12:47.

Comment

where it's all extremely ridiculous
                        You have seen a Ghostbusters film before, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          You have seen a Ghostbusters film before, right?
                          I'd rather discuss my points that were challenged.

But I will address your point. The original Ghostbusters is about guys starting a business and people joining it as a job. Ghostbusters is also about scientists creating tools to tackle the paranormal. So as much as some aspects of Ghostbusters are pure fantasy, they contrast well with the down to earth and everyday life aspects.

So, all I'm saying is I wouldn't want things taken to an extreme level of fantasy where it's like a comical parody. I personally want a range of talented adult actors, a clever script that fines a nice balance between everyday life and fantasy, and the whole thing being about adults running a business called Ghostbusters.

If some people would prefer a 'Stranger Things' sort of creation, I would just say that it doesn't appeal to me for the reasons stated. It will be interesting to see what direction the new Ghostbusters takes.

Comment

I wouldn't want things taken to an extreme level of fantasy
                            Like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? Like the Statue of Liberty walking around NYC powered by music and good cheer? These are not grounded movies. Sounds like you want an office drama, albeit one where people have driver's licenses. I rewatched Mad Men recently. It's really good.

Comment

I've mentioned it before but on the DVD commentary track, they mention that people complained that it was unrealistic that three of the Ghostbusters were drenched in marshmallow, but Venkman only had a tiny brooch of it on his coveralls.

They explained how happy they were because people weren't upset at the absurdity of a giant marshmallow man rampaging through New York, but this silly inaccuracy (for comic effect).

They say that they got to that point because they carefully layered the fantastic in small increments, starting with the library witch ("Listen! Can you smell something?!") all the way up to the Stay Puft appearance.

That could possibly why it is both a mundane small business drama and a sci-fi fantasy epic in one.

Comment

Yeah, it's all pretty fantastic when it comes to the supernatural stuff. I mean, it could be seen as a step too far if in Lord of the Rings one of the characters declared themselves the keymaster looking for the gatekeeper and then Zuul happened. Elves I can buy but they'd really be jumping the shark at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X