Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Yeah, it's all pretty fantastic when it comes to the supernatural stuff. I mean, it could be seen as a step too far if in Lord of the Rings one of the characters declared themselves the keymaster looking for the gatekeeper and then Zuul happened. Elves I can buy but they'd really be jumping the shark at that point.
    C'mon DT, I know you're being facetious for the banter, but I kinda agree with [MENTION=2924]Leon Retro[/MENTION] on this one - not his specific point about driving, but more that just because the franchise is a fantasy property, it doesn't just mean "anything goes". Street Fighter is pretty fantasy based, but if it drifts too far from the established franchise, you can still assert when that has happened and not be a fan of the shift.

Comment

Nobody said anything goes, Asura. But how far the ridiculousness of Ghostbusters goes needs to be acknowledged and accepted. I didn't even get into Janosz Poha and Vigo the Carpathian. Ghostbusters is plenty ridiculous to the point where the cartoon version was as outlandish as anything on television and didn't break canon.

Last edited by Dogg Thang; 22-01-2019, 16:17.

Comment

the cartoon version
        Funny thing is, I watched the two movies for the first time in ~20 years a while back when the third movie was doing the rounds (I think they were on Netflix?). I was surprised how much of the "franchise lore" I've internalised over the years actually came from that and not the original movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Funny thing is, I watched the two movies for the first time in ~20 years a while back when the third movie was doing the rounds (I think they were on Netflix?). I was surprised how much of the "franchise lore" I've internalised over the years actually came from that and not the original movies.
          I haven't really seen the cartoon since back in the day but I remember Egon's hair colour bothering me because it was one of the only details that broke my connection with the movies. They were that close. Even Janine was made like the cartoon for the sequel. The cartoon was a fantastic companion to the movies and was really enjoyable.

Comment

Like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? Like the Statue of Liberty walking around NYC powered by music and good cheer? These are not grounded movies. Sounds like you want an office drama, albeit one where people have driver's licenses. I rewatched Mad Men recently. It's really good.
            You keep missing my central point. It's all about creating a contrast. So you have adults with everyday lives and problems contrasted with the supernatural fantasy stuff.

I think having kids/teens playing Ghostbusters would make Ghostbusters pure fantasy with no contrast, simply because it's not really believable at all to think kids/teens could be Ghostbusters.

Anyway, if some people would like a move away from adults running a business, to kids tackling the paranormal as a hobby when they're not at school, that might be what they get.

All I've said is I'd like a new Ghostbusters to be more in line with the original film, so you'd have adult scientists creating tech to combat the paranormal and then running a business based on the paranormal. That appeals to me more than kids/teens being Ghostbusters.

I also think my point about driving the Ghostbusters car is relevant, as I'd like to see the car return and be used again. You wouldn't have that if the focus was on kids being Ghostbusters.

Comment

Man, you are going to LOVE the movie they made a couple of years ago. It has all those things. They even have a car.

Seriously though, I do get what you’re saying and I agree with you on the contrast but I think the example of the recent movie shows that having a checklist of things is not the way to go into any movie. Just because they are there doesn’t mean it will be good and just because they’re not doesn’t mean it will be bad. There are countless ways to make a great Ghostbusters movie.

But I think if you go in with a very specific idea of what you want, you’re more than likely going to end up disappointed no matter what is on your list. Unless you make the movie yourself, which I guess is a different situation.

Comment

Unless you make the movie yourself, which I guess is a different situation.
                I'm always happy to share my thoughts and feelings on things that interest me. With a new Ghostbusters, I'd rather it stick somewhat to the original formula with adults running a business, rather than it try to be something like Stranger Things.

Of course, if it does end up having a Stranger Things sort of vibe and is top quality entertainment, I will definitely watch it. I can only be honest and hope it does have more in common with the original movie though.

Comment

Sometimes my life gets too busy, and I can barely get the time to look at the forum. Then eventually I'll manage to squeeze a wee read in of a few posts, be bewildered about what's going on, then think I might just stop reading for a while again.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    I don't like the idea of a 'Stranger Things' sort of vibe with child actors, simply because kids have to go to school, and kids aren't allowed to drive. Ghostbusters was about a group of adults who opened a business.
                    I like your thinking in this and subsequent posts - that GB mixes the mundane with the bizarre.

I think there's a lot to work with in that respect, especially with the various ages involved, and not just 'old guy trying to jump fence but whoops he recently had a hip replacement'. Those Red films had fun with age but the characters were all top-class assassins. There are also plenty of comedic opportunities in the coming-of-age end of the spectrum, too. I guess the trick is finding the right balance.

Comment

With GB the age factor should work well for a third film, the previous films didn't require any physical dexterity at all for the GB crew with their biggest concerns being the physical weight of the equipment and whether they'd get irradiated by it. For this one, cracking out the equipment again means jokes about how hard it is to carry the stuff again but it won't feel too jarring as it was just as applicable a comment in the original.

I kind of like the idea of the kids finding the mythology of the GB and ghosts attractive. The originals took place at a time where they'd be able to see VHS quality news reports from New York and the likes on Youtube but potentially have no events in their own lifetimes so it's a bit of an urban legend too. The GB crew would presumably also be quite cynical (well, except Ray who's eternally attracted to the supernatural) by decades of false call outs by ghost nuts and obsessives.

Comment

Plus, as was mentioned on here - the GB guys were celebrities within the films with advertising and so on. And free balloons for the kids!

So it’s a perfectly rational premise that some kids would find out about them, and not by wiping dust off some old book they found.

I hope the ghosts are decent. GB was quite scary, which I think made the humour more effective.

Comment

Sony Pictures has set official release dates for its Spider-Man spinoff Morbius and Jason Reitman's new Ghostbusters.

Release date confirmed as 10 July 2020

Comment

Filmmakers Jason Reitman and Paul Feig have both shown decorum in a way others haven’t in the wake of quotes arising from a podcast interview with Reitman this week. In 2016 Feig attempted a reboot of the beloved 1980s “Ghostbusters” film property, one boasting an all-female cast. Reviews were good (not great), but the box-office […]

Reitman has been interviewed this week and says 'I'm not making the Juno of Ghostbusters movies. This is going to be a love letter to the original Ghostbusters'

For some reason that sparked a backlash, presumably from Ghostbusters: Answer the Call fans, and Feig has stepped in to support Reitman

Comment

The reason it sparked a backlash is that he said he wants to "go back to original technique and hand the movie back to the fans" which implies that the movie had been taken from fans in the first place and, in this case (and in so many others, hence no IMDB boards any more), loud "fans" have made the word synonymous with misogynists and racists who have no idea how to conduct themselves and feel they should be consulted on any creative decision and his poor choice of words pandered to that idea. I don't feel he meant it quite that way but that was the result.

Comment

Ah, that makes much more sense. The worst of the fanbase will be a small percentage but since 2016's film the words Ghostbusters and fans is a hot magnet for trouble so it makes sense that wording would be taken in that context.

I'm all over him approaching directing the movie by using 1980's filming methods though

Comment

Working...
                                X