Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Sony Pictures is shifting around its plans for a “Ghostbusters” reboot to broaden it out into something more akin to a “Ghostbusters” Cinematic Universe. The studio is forming Ghostcorps, a new production company to be run by several people including Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd, that will attempt to create branding opportunities based on the […]

Sony Pictures has established Ghostcorps, a new production company dedicated to the establishment and operation of all Ghostbuster related properties with the aim of creating a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe. The company will look into opportunities to make additional films, merchandise, series etc based off the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot.

Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd are included in the list of people involved in this project and the first thing being lined up from it is a new film aimed for release in 2017 which will be a male-centric Ghostbusters film with Channing Tatum in one of the lead roles. There's also mention of the directors of Captain America 2&3 being in charge of the new film but it remains unknown if that's true given their heavy involvement in the Marvel movies and the two Avenger 3 films on the upcoming slate.

To me, other than a heavy handed attempt to quickly profiteer on the franchise, this does come across as Sony trying to appease those who have been critical of the next film. Giving them something else to focus on and thereby making the Feig film an easier pill to swallow. It does seem incredibly premature to commision all of this without a single scene of the new film in the can. If it bombs, the whole thing seems a write-off.

It still begs belief that the original two films are still excluded from all of this as well. Completely unnecessarily so.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 03-12-2019, 09:09.

Yep, I think you summed it up well. I think this demonstrates a lack of understanding and respect for what they already have in the classics and in the whole property in general while simultaneously showing a complete lack of faith in their own current remake plans, however misguided we think they might be.

Comment

I read about this earlier. What a nutty plan.

Comment

Thought this would happen. Everyone's going to want a "cinematic universe" now because Marvel made one and it made a ****load of money.

They forget that Marvel's is drawn from an adaptation of 50 years (or however the hell long Marvel has been around) of interwoven material.

A Ghostbusters CU can't work because Ghostbusters is a series. Marvel's worked because the teams on each project considered each film as a product in its own right, then The Avengers merged them. A Ghostbusters CU is like seeing the Marvel CU in a weird parallel universe, where they're all The Avengers movies. That's not how it works.

Comment

There's a Sony exec somewhere already folding up a napkin that says Ghostbusters: Cross Haunt on it with the words McCarthy x Tatum x Aykroyd x James Bond = $$$ on it

I'll give Sony one thing, no-one may find their films entertaining anymore but watching them manage their slate like headless chickens is fascinating.

Comment

Yesterday came the announcement that the upcoming reboot of the “Ghostbusters” franchise would in fact be far more ambitious than originally planned. Instead of just one reboot, Sony Pictures is set to do a whole shared cinematic universe of films and TV shows revolving around the “Ghostbusters” brand. So on top of Paul Feig’s previously […]

It gets more daft. So apparently the GB4 project would also aim to include Chris Pratt as sort of a duo film but isn't outright considered a 'male' orientated project. Sony is also said to be planning, what for now we'd refer to being as, Ghostbusters 5 which would see both casts team up as per Avengers. On top of that they're considering 'Ghostbusters 6' which would be a prequel film to this reboot universe with GB films being released annually.

Comment

Sigh......

So we better prey that this chic flick is great then. If not its aliens/predator franchise territory, with a slew crap films with ever decreasing quality.

Comment

When Sony got hacked, I reckon they not only stole a load of info, but they snuck some stuff in.

3 months later, the Sony Execs are finding all this Ghostbusters malarky and implementing it, oblivious to the fact it's just some hackers trolling them.
                "I don't remember us planning all this Ghostbusters stuff, but I guess we should run with it..."

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  When Sony got hacked, I reckon they not only stole a load of info, but they snuck some stuff in.

3 months later, the Sony Execs are finding all this Ghostbusters malarky and implementing it, oblivious to the fact it's just some hackers trolling them.
                  "I don't remember us planning all this Ghostbusters stuff, but I guess we should run with it..."
                  i think you have hit the nail on the head there, its bat**** crazy, nothing else quite explains how they plan to make money of this, turning a much loved movie with a dodgy sequel into a franchise of bad movies err who approved this???

reminds me of this parady i read about harrison ford trying to ruin all his old films

THE announcement of a Blade Runner sequel, starring me, has sparked the usual debate about whether it can live up to the original.

Let me answer that for you now: it won’t. It will be so bad that you will never be able to enjoy Blade Runner again. Because I am determined, in my twilight years, to destroy my own cinematic legacy.

Remember Indiana Jones? Not without a wince of pain, you don’t. Not without remembering the fridge and the aliens and Shia LeBoeuf from the execrable fourth film.
                  The announcement of a Blade Runner sequel, starring me, has sparked debate about whether it can live up to the original. It won't.

Comment

The notion that Ghostbusters could be turned into something resembling the MCU is nothing short of mental!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      The notion that Ghostbusters could be turned into something resembling the MCU
                      That's the thing; this is just fundamentally daft. The MCU has evolved this way for many reasons that are specific to the MCU.

For example, even if you were to take something else with a large amount of background material, like Lord of the Rings, there's no reason to believe the MCU's model would work if applied to it. Ghostbusters lacks even that backing; given, there are comics etc. but generally people tend to think of the two original movies as being the entire thing.

Comment

Since Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” became such a smash success, its leading man Chris Pratt has quickly become one of the most in demand actors there is out there. The actor has been rumored to be under consideration for various major roles from an “Indiana Jones” reboot to joining Channing Tatum in a male-driven […]

Chris Pratt shoots down the rumours he's being lined up for this

Comment

I honestly thought GCU in the title was a joke.

So Cinematic Universes have become me-too concepts like trilogies where the third part is split into two.

Comment

While we know Paul Feig is currently shooting a female-centric reboot of the “Ghostbusters” franchise, one of the more interesting reports to emerge during that film’s pre-production phase was that Sony Pictures is planning to use the movie as the launchpad for a larger ‘Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe’ along the lines of a Marvel or DC […]

Drew Pearce says plans for the next-next film are coming along as well as the plans to make it a shared universe. Despite them denying it, he also says Pratt and Tatum are on board but it could be a year till we see more, presumably after the Feig entry hits

Comment

I hate all this universe crap and reboots. Just come up with something original or at least an quality remake.

Comment

Working...
                              X