Ghostbusters III: Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    However it has been shown that the mere mention of women can certainly rule out a noisy subsection of fans from being happy. See also: Star Wars.
    Well, I think it's a complicated subject. It's also an emotive subject for many people. I personally felt that giving GB3 a female cast was all about making a statement rather than the creators looking at Hollywood and choosing the best comedy talent.

When it comes to comedy, all of my favourite comedians and comedy actors are male. I can't think of many females involved in comedy that have really impressed me over the years. Morgana Robinson is a rare exception, as I think she's a really talented, funny person.

So when I heard about a possible GB3 a while back, I was thinking about a male cast, simply because there are plenty of top quality male comedy actors to choose from. Of course, that's just my point of view, so some people might think there are lots of great female comedy actors. Ultimately though, the script and overall production also needs to be inspired. I think GB3 failed to impress lots of people simply because it's not a great movie. A modern Ghosbusters could work really well, but the formula would probably need to be a lot different than what we got with GB3. I think focusing on the best comedy talent and building a script around them would work best.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-01-2019, 00:46.

Comment

None of that is complicated.

Anyway, I’m hoping this will turn out to be an enjoyable movie. That’s all I really want. That’s almost always all I really want when it comes to movie. If “fans” don’t like it, I don’t care. Too much fan noise comes from the toxic fans rather than people who just like movies. Give me Murray, Akroyd and Hudson doing their thing and wrap it around a fun story that makes me smile and that’s job done.

Comment

I'm relatively hopeful from the teaser. I never felt like GB1 was impossible to follow up on, the premise holds a lot of potential, GB2 was alright but it was just to much of safe sequel of the likes we often see. Then they got far too hung up on Murray being involved.

I do think there's a roof to the films appeal though that isn't as high as other franchises. It's more about keeping costs down than expecting this to pull a Jurassic World $1bn. The reboot, well it's been often discussed and its many failings seem to get reaffirmed the more tidbits come out about how the level of interference it suffered. A sequel was never coming to that film unless it made a ton more than it did and was better recieved regardless of cast so it's nice to see the brand not get benched for 30 years again and some hints that it may be on a better thought out track.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Give me Murray, Akroyd and Hudson doing their thing and wrap it around a fun story that makes me smile and that’s job done.
          I think younger actors could be a better option. There are plenty of talented comedy actors aged between 30-50. I'd like a new Ghostbusters to have a truly spooky vibe about it, but with enough humour to make it fun. I wouldn't want it to feel like a parody of Ghostbusters.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I'm relatively hopeful from the teaser.
          The music and spooky vibe have definitely grabbed my attention. Fingers crossed it turns out to be a great movie.

Comment

Leslie Jones had a very reductionist take. Her Ghostbusters was a bad film. Some people didn't like that the womens were in their clubhouse, but that doesn't change the fact that the movie was lazy and unfunny, relying almost entirely on improv instead of writing, and had no reason to exist. Nobody ever asked for a new Ghostbusters without the main cast. Saying that they're fixing the garbage reboot by doing one with "all men" is entirely missing the point. They're not "men", they're the original cast for christ's sake. Reducing them to just "men" is pretty dismissive of the talent that made the original so successful to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
              Leslie Jones had a very reductionist take. Her Ghostbusters was a bad film. Some people didn't like that the womens were in their clubhouse, but that doesn't change the fact that the movie was lazy and unfunny, relying almost entirely on improv instead of writing, and had no reason to exist. Nobody ever asked for a new Ghostbusters without the main cast. Saying that they're fixing the garbage reboot by doing one with "all men" is entirely missing the point. They're not "men", they're the original cast for christ's sake. Reducing them to just "men" is pretty dismissive of the talent that made the original so successful to begin with.
              I've got nothing to really add but quoted this post because it's so true. The last film was **** because it was a **** film with lousy characters. Not lousy women but lousy characters. When I think Ghostbusters I think of the original cast and that also includes Janine and Diana.

Comment

Ideally, this would be an all-male reboot than would turn out crap, thus rendering moot the issues surrounding the 2016 one and shutting the toxic GB fans up(yeah, right).

Then they’d reboot it once more with a mixed male/female cast and that one turns out to be great. The maths works out and everyone’s happy.

But I wonder what’s worse for those hardcorps GB fans: an all-female reboot or a reboot with... teenagers!

Comment

The more I think about it the more I'm coming to think that the teenagers will be central to this film like the kids in It or Stranger Things but won't be Ghostbusters or set up as future ones either. If this film was a hit they'd be about 2-3 sequels away from being old enough to even physically lift a proton pack. I think they're just the lead quartet that pull the original GB's together and the plot will explain how they get back in the game and explain why ghosts are back and why the original GB's begin to feel the need to do a passing of the torch to a new cast that may be how it wraps up. Either that or they're going to have to cast people who are several years older than 12-13 and make them look as young as they can so that if they get to make GB4 they can 'age' them quickly to make sense.

Comment

I really hope it is like Stranger Things/Stand By Me. I kinda wish the original GBs weren't in it so it could be set in the 80s. Or do a Kurt Russel Guardians 2 on them to de-age them.

Comment

If they spruce themselves up they won't look too shabby, Ernie still looks damned good

I wonder if they'll have Weaver appear? Or whether she's too tied up making those Avatar films

Comment

Implying they weren't drastically digitally de-aged in this photo lol. I'm pretty sure they just cut Sigourney Weaver's face out of a poster from the ORIGINAL movie and stuck it on with pritt stick.

Comment

True, it's likely more like this

Comment

All of them looked pretty good in their cameos in the last Ghostbusters film... which for me were easily the worst moments of the movie. Except for Murray's actually because at least his character was part of the story. I cringed through the others.

Comment

Honestly, my mind just races with questions over this sequel in terms of story. The first two films always suggested that the emergence of ghosts were tied to a greater threat, hence the quiet spell between GB1 and GB2. If it's the same here then you have a scenario with the previous films events being just history to the kids and an explanation for the out of use rusted Ecto-1. The car and packs could be hidden because of government interference as suggested in the past two films, that still leaves the containment unit in the HQ and what's happened to that in the meantime.

They're small details but ones the originals touched upon and even the reboot tried to somewhat address, that these are portable nuclear devices being used by non-government individuals right in the heart of New York

Comment

Unless The Real Ghostbusters is considered canon because they were really busy. And then that other one... Extreme? I only saw maybe one episode of it. Thing is (and this is where the previous film was a disappointment - although I LIKED it), the passage of time almost presents more possibilities for a new film than there were when we got Ghostbusters 2 for exactly the things you mention. Have there been a lot of ghosts? If so, what's the world like when people grow up with that? If not, what are the characters like when they experienced all these cool things and then didn't for most of their lives, like some kind of forgotten pop stars. There is a lot of potential in seeing that world years later.

Comment

Working...
                                X