Terry Pratchett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Pratchett

"Despite rumour, Death isn't cruel, merely terribly, terribly good at his job."

RIP Terry Pratchett: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156
    Last edited by MartyG; 12-03-2015, 14:25.

Superbly put!

What a great author. Legend. RIP.

Comment

Just come home & seen this on the news.

We all knew it was on the cards but it is still very sad. I got into his work quite late in my life - in my early 20's, & due to the Discworld games that came out on the PSone. I've never been an avid reader in my life but his books were just something else. Addictive stuff for me.

RIP to a unique character & writer.

Comment

What a downer, but as already said I've been expected sooner rather than later. Still have his last 3 written discworld books to read.

Comment

Just saw this on the news, very sad indeed.

Comment

Terrible news, such a shame. RIP Sir Terry

Wonder if Rhianna will carry on the books?

Comment

I'm not a huge book reader, especially fiction, but I have read every last one of the Discworld books and love them dearly. Such a clever and funny man, a great loss to the book world.

Comment

Very sad. I met him last year and was all gushing fanboy and regretted it. A brlliant writer who has given me so much enjoyment over the years, both when younger and in the last few years when I revisited his books and caught up on all the ones I missed. What's great I guess is that he was so prolific - he has left a lot behind for us and for future generations.

Comment

Seen him on interviews and always though what a lovely man, so articulate with his choice of words and some really intelligent things he says. Could watch him for hours.

His books aren't my cup of tea but his figures say it all, an absolute giant in the world of books.

Am sure he will be sorely missed by his fans.

RIP.

Comment

Witches Abroad, which a dutch customer forgot along with Small Gods in a bar I worked over one summer at the impressionable age of 17, was the first english novel I ever read. In english, that is.

I owe you much, Mr. Pratchett. You too, forgetful dutch guy.

Comment

Met the man in 1997, skipping PE one wednesday with a friend to go and wait in line at Blackwell's on St. Mary's St in Cardiff for hours. I got him to sign my mother a birthday card that year
                      When my friend commented that his aunt was a big fan as well, TP smiled and joked "There goes my streetcred".
                      He ended up staying nearly 2 hours past the signing end, and had a can of G&T on the table to keep him going.

One day I hope to be close to the level of writer he was.

RIP TP, I hope you remembered to take some camomile tea with you.

Comment

To be honest I was kind of surprised to hear he'd died, I didn't know his illness had taken such a physical toll on him though. The last thing I saw with him was the documentary he did which followed him as he researched the various treatments that are in development and showed how he was trying to keep his writing moving forward as his memory grew weaker. Incredibly warm and smart guy.

I tailed off the books some years back as they started to seem to gravitate increasingly more towards tales of the Witches and City Guard which never really clicked with me all too well. The earlier books I read though were cracking, loved Reaper Man. There's loads I haven't read now and if I ever got back into reading I'd happily make a first port of call with them again. I think the last one I tried was Thief of Time?

Hopefully, his daughter will finish up any that he left unfinished. Safe hands.

Comment

I would rather she didn't, at least for now. I would prefer to see what becomes of the Watch before letting her touch the books.

For me it was Guards, Guards that got me into Pratchett, and my favourite book is a tie between Men at Arms and Night Watch.

Comment

Men at Arms is brilliant. That along with Mort are two I love.

Comment

Never really got into his stuff not sure why. A pity as I bought a ****load of the discworld books when he came to the tiny sci-fi bookshop I worked at in Brissie, way back in the day when he was promoting Good Omens, just so I could have a few signed copies (**** I'm old). I appreciated that he spent a good few minutes writing personalised lines in the front of all of the books. A nice enough chap, we had a giggle when I asked about Gaiman's contribution to the book!!

RIP Terry.

Comment

Working...
                              X