Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obscure DS imports retrospective part 9: (Simple DS series Vol 34 THE haisha san)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure DS imports retrospective part 9: (Simple DS series Vol 34 THE haisha san)

Probably the weirdest DS game so far, another gem from the simple DS series of budget games. As far as games go this is a very uncommon theme for a game, not every day you see a dentist simulation game.

Behold simple series DS vol 34: THE dentist (SIMPLE DSシリーズ Vol.34 THE 歯医者さん), or as i like to call it. Dental torture simulator DS. Just look at that cover she definately isn't having a fun time.

At first glance it can be quite offputting as there's a lot of kanji, this isn't a simple cooking mama style game some of it is actually quite technical. The knowledge needed to pass the dental quiz, I'm convinced that some of it you'd never know unless you were a dental student however despite it looking daunting it's actually pretty simple to play.

You have a few other staff at the clinic to help you out, the simulation side comes from using the money you earn from treating patients to upgrade your clinic. There are 4 staff members that you can pay once a day to improve a part of the service as you pay more and more your star ratings will improve and so will your grades you get from treating the patients which will then earn you more money back, you start out as a rookie but once every so many days you are invited to the dental seminar to try and improve your rank, you have to answer 10 technical questions on dentistry, luckily they are all simple multiple choice so you can bluff your way through if you can't read Japanese hehe. If you manage to get enough questions right then your rank will increase and you'll get a bit more money for your services.

Each day you will be given a caseload of patients before you get to torturing their mouths you have to sit down and chat to them, find out whats wrong and put them at ease. Some treatments take multiple days and visits to fully complete, in your daily activities you will be filling, extracting, doing root canals, fitting crowns, dental implants, cleaning, descaling luckiy all these techniques can be practised in a seprate mode before you start. Also your assistant can be clicked on to help remind you what to do if you forget, later on as you upgrade the service you will be able to hire another assistant to auto complete some of the easier stuff like cleaning.

The dental minigames can be a little fussy sometimes when you are trying to snap the fillings in place the area that you need to put them sometimes is a little off meaning it just flies back to the side bar instead of fitting in place but you eventually learn where the game wants you to place them usually. When treating patients you are graded on actual technique the speed you took and a few other things if you keep making a patient scream and the pain bar drops to red you won't be getting much money from them or even a thankyou as they leave lol. Also you sometimes get summoned to do a school inspection where you have to examine all the teeth and grade the cavaties from C1 to C4, C1 is the smallest amount of damage and C4 is really decayed, once you have graded a kids mouth it's onto the next.

It's probably easier just to watch the video to see how it all works as it's a bit tricky to explain everything in huge detail.

A very unusual game and a bit daunting with the language barrier but actually rather playable once you work everything out.

I have this. Atrocious grades on every single patient so far.

It really is a pity that the simple series appears to have died out.

Comment

I actually managed to finish this the other night, it seems when you start paying for the upgrades your dental surgery can change appearance, also there is the dental 5 event to entertain the kids where the characters pay a visit to your surgery and you get a fantastic song thats sung as they appear. As you get your stars to a higher level you will also be able to just get one of your assistants to finish any procedure which really makes things easier as you can get better money from letting them do the work hehe, my grades are usually rubbish with the odd miracle A or B rank.

Look how fancy it's gotten despite my terrible dental service skills

The dental 5 characters pay a visit to the surgery for an event, the kids go wild for dental 5.

It seems you get quite a lot of interesting patients when you start upgrading, i got a bear at one point LOL. Managed to ace the seminar quiz by cheating my head off, one of the great things about running the game through an emulator for screenshots and video is you can also save state the quiz, the game is unaware that my Japanese/dental knowledge is nowhere near as perfect as the game thinks it is lol. But this way i can at least see all the game has to offer. Once done i upload the .SAV back to my real cart with my USB dongle. It's a very useful setup.

Yeah Tomato it is a shame that the simple series seems to have dwindled in later years it's a fantastic way for devs to make risky experimental games, the simple series kind of exists on the 3DS eshop as there are a few escape the room games that are on there and a fantastic cooking game to do with ramen, i wish they released them physically i'd have loved to own them in cart form instead of digitally.
      Last edited by importaku; 18-05-2015, 11:54.

Comment

I'll have a good watch of the video when I have a chance - you might be able to give me some pointers. I'm absolutely hopeless at this game.

This is the kind of thing I love about the Simple Series - the chance to play a simulation of something that you wouldn't believe they would make a game from. I avoid ones like The Tennis and The Taxi Driver because those activities are done (presumably) better by other games, like Power Smash and Crazy Taxi. But how many dentist games are there? On that note, I'm waiting for The Juror to arrive, although it's presumably very text-heavy, so it might be another one for the wife, rather than me.

I haven't got to the inspecting teeth at a school yet - that sounds cool, will try to get to that.

Comment

When you start a new day the countdown to the dental seminar and the school inspection will be displayed showing how many days left to it.

If you want to practise anything there is a option on the main title screen after loding your save file, think it's the 2nd one that lets you try out all the minigames without affecting your main game on your save file. I still screw up on the root canal stuff myself even after drilling the tooth off and scraping out all the dental pulp i still get a 0 technique rating so there's obviously something i'm doing wrong.

Yup the simple series love to take risks, i'm way more forgiving too of janky games because of their low budget status i don't mind them been a bit rough around the edges. There's only a few more simple games i'm after one of them been the tank platform game, tried it out & was so fun that it's now on my list for adding to the library. There is one game where you play as a male host you have to prowl the streets targeting and chatting up women to drag back to the bar to ply with alcohol and presents to make them love you it's bizzare as hell but also very hard due to the language barrier. Where else could you find a male whoreing game than in the simple series

Comment

Brilliant. They sound awesome - would you mind sharing the titles of those games.

They also sound as if they would be brilliant features for this series of retrospective reviews you're doing.

Comment

The tank one is definately getting bought when i can afford it, it's cheap on Amazon Jp but i need to get some other stuff at the same time to absorb the Tenso costs so i tend to buy stuff in batches hehe but it will be coming at some point.

The tank game is called in Simple DS Series Vol 31 The chou dangan custom sensha in english, and in Japanese SIMPLE DSシリーズ Vol.31 THE超弾丸!!カスタム戦車

The host game is called in Simple Series DS Vol 43 The Host Shiyō Ze! ~DX Night king~ in english, and in Japanese it's SIMPLE DSシリーズ Vol.43 THEホストしようぜ! ~DXナイトキング~

The host one is intriguing but as a lot of it is just chatting to your captured women it will be really hard for me as it's beyond my understanding level in Japanese if i can get it really REALLY cheap i may risk that one at some point.
              Last edited by importaku; 18-05-2015, 11:57.

Comment

Thanks. Checked them out on Amazon and also came across The Negotiator, only 100 yen new. Snapped it up.

Comment

Seems the simple series is getting quite the sales boost. D3 should be paying me comission lol.

Just glad to share the weird game love, my collection has only been partially depleted of obscure games from the ones covered so far. Trying to decide which next to tackle, maybe a sega game i think

Comment

Have you played The Soldier or The Tank?

Comment

Working...
                    X