The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Kirov!

I did read your first post, but you made it sound like Elder Scrolls.
    It sounds really interesting, but I'm not going current gen just yet, so you'll have to entertain me with your tales of chivalry and adventure, preferably sung whilst playing a lute.

A little heads-up about that day one patch:

"Digital Foundry looks at the patch in detail. It seems as if the update significantly cuts down on the number of gameplay bugs and geometry pop-ins. By all accounts, the game components are more polished with this patch applied.

Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of The Witcher 3's cutscenes. It's said that there's significant stuttering and frame rate drop while playing encoded video files, to a degree that's impossible to ignore. Eurogamer's reported that these often bottom out around 22fps -- a far cry from the solid 30 the game shoots for. The unpatched version is consistently more stable in this regard.

It's sort of a toss-up as to whether you should avoid this patch or not. It really depends on what's important to you. If you'd rather have a better gameplay experience, it's probably worth downloading. But, if you want to see The Witcher's cutscenes in all their cinematic glory, maybe you should stay far away from this update."

Comment

Wasn't that article about XB1 only? I thought so but I may have been wrong. There's a second path out now to v1.02, and I've not noticed much like that yet.

EDIT- yes, the header says that is for xbox one only.
      Last edited by MrKirov; 19-05-2015, 09:32.

Comment

Straw poll:
        Skyrim Vs. The Witcher Vs. Dragon Age?

Comment

For me it's that exact order: Skyrim>Witcher>Dragon Age

But I'm yet to start Witcher 3, it just finished downloading this morning and now I'm thinking of sticking with my Witcher 2 replay before moving onto this. Crossing my fingers though, sounds like W3 has the potential to give the grand open adventure feel Skyrim gave

Comment

I believe it does- most definately. With having the luxury of a better story, engaging main character and more cohesive world aswell. I look forward to seeing what you think!

Comment

I think that's why I'm fairly optimistic about W3, it's the world building, feels like it's the series strength and though W2 didn't deliver on the hype it was a big step up on the first game in execution. Skyrim doesn't have great combat but as long as it's immersive enough it's an easy 100+hrs

Comment

Had a little hours play last night just to see how it would run on my Laptop. Have to say im so very pleased after being told my 860M and i7-4710MQ would not even run it i am able to have it at 1920x1080 with mix of medium to high settings and it runs really well, only occasional frame drop but still amazing non the less. In truth the thing that kills it is the hair settings, my laptop certainly doesn't like that.

It look stunning, now uni is finished i cannot wait to start devoting all my time to it, looking forward to this adventure

Comment

The irony is, The Witcher 3 is current gen only, but I've not played Skyrim, The Witcher 2 or The Dragon Age games, so by the time I get through those, current gen will be last gen and last gen will be retro!

The Witcher series wasn't on my radar until 3 started getting advertised, so I look forward to hearing what you lot get up to, but Superman Falls, for heaven's sake, wear some trousers in this game!

Comment

Skyrim is such a great game. Start with that one.

Post still hasn't come to my office. WHAT IS HAPPENING I NEED THIS GAME :@

Comment

If it doesn't come, at least you can buy it from GAME... For ?59.99.

Seriously, just die already.

Comment

had 5 hours of play of the PC version right after downloading it. it's version 1.02 and i think day one patch is included already. i had problems with the prerendered cutscenes as they did not play properly but apart from that i am relieved my new GTX 750ti card does not disapppoint in terms of performance. with everything set to high and all postprocessing incl. Nvidia Hair FX i get 25 to 35 fps out of it. for graphics card consuming no more than 60 Watt this is pretty decent gaming performance i suppose. visuals are a world apart from what was promised in 2013 and even can't match the quality of the 2014 footage. apart from the missing detail and draw distance most evidently they changed the more monochrome and gritty color palette and lighting to a more vibrant and colourful style, which now falls more in line with genre standards. controls with the 360 pad are excellent so far.

my PC download key from cdkeys is gog.com - i had never heard of that platform before. anyone has experiences with gog? however, with the game came some digital goodies like a soundtrack, a comic and artbook. very very nice!

a quick update for some of you interested in my Witcher 3 Press Kit collection (incl. puzzle, poster and t-shirt): international shipping costs to EU countries now added.
                        Last edited by Uli; 19-05-2015, 12:23.

Comment

^ GOG is owned and run by CD Projekt. It's basically their DRM-free answer to Steam. It also bankrolls their projects, I think, for unlike Valve they make games / fnah.

Comment

I've been playing the PS4 version and can confirm the stuttering in the cut scenes.

So far I've done the Well Quest (at level 1) and found the Arsonist.

I tried the second game on 360 (free game) and didn't particularly like it. This game seems a bit more accessible (to me).

Comment

Ok finally been able to put some time into this game and i can honestly say it is just simply amazing. I have been playing for an hour and half and barely done anything. The world is just absolutely stunning. I really don't understand quite how people are saying that the graphics are a disappointment because quite simply it is easily one of the best if not THE best looking worlds i have ever played, i am playing on my laptop with a mix of medium to high details and it blows me away. God knows how playing it in maximum detail must be. But i am very satisfied with the results.

One thing i do love is the sky and weather effects, i have yet to encounter a game that could compete with Red Dead Redemption but this is just another level of detail. The amount of colour is outstanding, watching the sky turn from sunshine to moody stormy weather in which just about every tree i can see is swaying amidst the storm, never seen anything like it in real-time.

In terms of gameplay, so far im loving the combat, ok i have not yet encountered much other than drowners but from my battles so far it certainly is not a button basher, real thought needs to go into the fighting. when facing multiple enemies this is essential to no get your ass whipped.

Like i said not done too much other than few simple quests but the world has drawn me in and i simply cannot wait to play again. Not many games nowadays have this effect on me. Finally i think i have found a game that takes the RPG crown from Skyrim. Simply stunning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                                I've been playing the PS4 version and can confirm the stuttering in the cut scenes.

So far I've done the Well Quest (at level 1) and found the Arsonist.

I tried the second game on 360 (free game) and didn't particularly like it. This game seems a bit more accessible (to me).
                                Awesome! Any pointers on where to start? I tried using Witcher sense around the area but not finding much...

Comment

Working...
                                X