No announcement yet.

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm completely lost in this now. I'm knocking around Novigrad thinking I've no idea how I'm going to complete all this, and I've just read that Skellige is basically big enough to be an entire new game.

And yes, I too have been sat watching a dawn or a thunderstorm approach from the distance and just thought 'wow'.

Comment

It's such a stunning game, isn't it @k0pp0? I loved it too. To play it is to obsess over it!

At times it can seem a bit overwhelming, it's such a huge world and there is so much stuff to do. I would say that the second half of the game's story does flow much more consistently than the first half, where you're left to your own devices a bit more. So if you do feel like it's getting a bit much, try to soldier on anyway!

One of the really brilliant things about it from my perspective is the quality of the dialogue and the cutscenes in general. It really does put the vast majority of games to shame - it's actually like watching a TV show or movie, rather than the often shoddy efforts we are given as 'story' in games. And I say that as someone who frequently loves those shoddy efforts!

I think I put about 300 hours into it myself. There is one DLC story currently out, which exists in the same world, and there is a larger one on the way later this year which will add a whole new area to the game too.

I've not touched the first DLC part myself yet, I'm waiting to play both together for maximum impact

Also - Gwent. How fupping fun is Gwent? What a simply awesome diversion!

Comment

Gwent. I literally have no idea how to play it.

Comment

Put a few hours into this today. It’s been sat on my harddrive for over a year and it’s silly to miss out. I’m very, very early on and I can tell it’s going to be overwhelming. Absolutely loving the storms and sunsets - it really adds to the mood and atmosphere. Sometimes the controls are fiddly, and picking things up/igniting torches can be a faff, but these are minor niggles.

I got my arse handed to me at Gwent in the Emperor’s palace. My cards are so weak.

Comment

Trekked around for a bit and got very little done. I just ended up staring at sunsets for ages.

Eventually I started a side quest that involved a missing woman. I got absolutely DODDED fighting a werewolf while the missus was hollering about tea being ready. My failure annoyed me, and I got bollocked for letting my tea get cold (it wasn’t). I’ll have to tackle it another time.

Comment

I got this at Christmas, but Monster Hunter World came out and is absorbing all my game time!

I was disappointed with how unnecessarily sweary it was, though.

Comment

Game of Thrones, man. It means all fantasies set in a faux medieval world need to drop F-bombs and C-grenades. Looks even better in subtitles.

Comment

My mate had it and showed me it.
                  I'm sure it made sense in context, but it was a bit childish seeing some soldiers saying "'Ere's that ****ing no good **** face sticking his ****ing nose into our ****ing business. Let's ****ing get 'im!"

Comment

To be fair - I don’t know if I’m not far enough into it to see the full extent of swearing or not, but I’ve only seen it a few times in several hours. Maybe he showed you a particularly swearsome section? Or, as I say, maybe I have been fortunate to avoid it.

Comment

It was where he was at when I had popped round.

It won't stop me playing it, it just caught me by surprise.

I've always got to be aware of what little people might see if I dare play something while they're awake.

Comment

Think I’m trying to overstep my bounds. Just met a lass having a bath with her threepennies on full show. We travelled to a cave together and eventually came across a golem. That was ok to defeat but my fighting style is lazy. I really need to work on parries and dodging, rather than relying on bludgeoning. Anyway, I came across a gargoyle and got totally ragged. It seems that I may soon face a member of the Wild Hunt. There’s no chance I’ll defeat that as things currently stand.

I need to level up and practise actual fighting technique .

Comment

I redownloaded The Witcher 2 on the Xbone recently (supposed to be enhanced) and I have one question.

Is it fun to play, is the combat decent or is it all quite boring? I've got it sitting there on the hard drive, it's a toss-up between this and Mass Effect 2 as to what I'm gonna play after I've done Fallout 4 and Yakuza 2.

Comment

[MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] I have played the first chapter or so (up to the 'on the backs of whores' chapter) and I loved it. Haven't gone back yet because just too many games and not enough time. But I shall return (in fact I just started Dishonored DLC - so I do go back for stuff).

Comment

Cheers gunrock, I will give it a blast, might even start it alongside ME2 as there's enough contrast between the themes of both games to have two games going on at once. .

Comment

I found Witcher 2 really hard and gave up early doors. That is in no way an indictment of the game.

On W3, I’ve just played the Bloody Baron quest and I’m close to completing the Family quest immediately afterwards. What a horrific storyline! Really good. Loving the depth of the narratives. Very little is straightforward - there’s shades of grey galore, and many of the characters you meet are rounded.

Im still not blocking much, but I am rolling more. My fighting style is appalling.

Comment

Working...
                                X