makaton - anyone had to use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

makaton - anyone had to use it?

No.. it's not a Transformer. It's similar to British sign language, but simpler and used when children have communication problems..

Just wondering if anyone has had to use it for their own children?

We did briefly, was started by his school when he was about six I think, going back a few years now. Though in brief the use of small printed symbols for "toilet", "drink" etc etc was more successful with us regarding his communication back then. Probably totally different circumstances to your situation.

What was you looking to find out? drop me a PM if prefer.

Comment

Not for my own daughter but we use it at school for a boy with autism who is 8 but has no speech. When I say 'we' I really mean his one to one support but inevitably you pick up a little. He uses it in conjunction with a picture board where he can point to pictures of what he wants.
      Sounds similar to how VR46s son used it.

Mr Tuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!

Comment

Cheers chaps. I'm using it with my youngest son due to delayed speech. Vr46 I'll drop you line as pecs cards has also been suggested..

Comment

Pecs is the picture board we use at school for the little boy. It was and still is very successful for him. He came on noticeably quickly after its introduction. He prefers it to trying to use Makaton still at the moment. 2 years ago all he did to communicate was squeal and it he appeared hugely frustrated. 6 months after introduction of the pecs board he was tonnes better. It really helped his social interaction with the other children too as they could finally interact with him in a meaningful way. I would definitely recommend it.

Comment

OK thanks for that PB.

Comment

Working...
            X