Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    You just being a billy silly . When any game is made other than COD or GTA (and even them at the start were risks) - Its a huge risk and the developer doesn't really know if the game will sell.
    Not really true, any medium to large publisher / developer worth its salt will spend a long time performing market evaluation and estimating a games total sales.

Although you get the odd game that become massive through word of mouth or a flop, it's surprising how close a prediction is.

Comment

Weren't Sega always at odds between divisions in the East and West too?

Joke of a company, glad they don't exist anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        Not really true, any medium to large publisher / developer worth its salt will spend a long time performing market evaluation and estimating a games total sales.

Although you get the odd game that become massive through word of mouth or a flop, it's surprising how close a prediction is.
        I have only a peripheral experience in the area but it often seems that it's because they become self-fulfilling prophesies. A game is predicted to shift numbers, marketing spend is shifted to that game and it gets a huge push and does well. A game is seen as risky, they get nervous and hold back marketing dollars and, sure enough, it doesn't shift huge numbers.

Comment

True, there are games or projects where if a marketing or budget team don't see the vision (If the vision is any good) then it's fate will come true. But if the game is good, the publisher gets it and the stats are run, every project i've worked on has been remarkably close numbers wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
            Wow - can't believe 3 peeps have done the 10k dinner pledge
            One of them would seem to be Ken Sugimori, no less.

Anyhow, I think this is pretty close to how I'm feeling about this. I can't blame Suzuki for going to KS, but do find Sony's role in the whole thing largely disingenuous.

Comment

I'll be flabbergasted if someone, probably wearing a suit and tie, doesn't look at the record-breaking, multi-million dollar earning Kickstarter project and suggest that they break any plot into at least two games.

I doubt any pledgers will see "The End" any time soon.

EDIT: In fact, it'd be hilarious if the story was incomplete and stretched over two Kickstarter campaigns and the second one failed so there was still no resolution!
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 18-06-2015, 10:04.

Comment

There's been plenty of flops or games , that didn't sell the way the developers hoped from big publishers . Blasto was meant to be next best thing, Greendog the next Sonic, APB , Oddworld Stranger, Psychonauts, Lair, Haze, Blur (which killed the studio) Fable the journey, Star Wars Kinect and host of other games . You really don't know if a game will sell at all more so when its a new IP.

Now you going to tell me that the likes of SONY, Activision , EA, MS aren't big corps and didn't conduct their own Market research. who told Actisvion that was Tony Hawks Ride was a good idea and would sell , never mind the tool that told MS Kinect was a good idea for the XBox One .

Comment

Greendog, blimey now that is a game i have not heard mentioned for like 20 years, totally forgot that one

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
                    Greendog, blimey now that is a game i have not heard mentioned for like 20 years, totally forgot that one
                    Yes and I rememer Tom Kalinske at the CES show saying it was to be the next BIG thing and bigger than SONIC . what about other flops like Clover, God Hand. There there's Bay II and Wonderful 101: Im sure Nintendo and Platnium were hopping for far better sales for those 2 games .

Comment

You have to wonder how these people get these ideas. Greendog the next big thing? Couldn't imagine it as a 13 year old let alone today.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        You have to wonder how these people get these ideas. Greendog the next big thing? Couldn't imagine it as a 13 year old let alone today.
                        Yes , but then there's plenty of great games , that did everything right and really should have sold much better than they did . I still can never really work out when the likes of JSRF, Beyond Good and Evil, Oddworld Stranger, O.TO.GI II, Alien Resurrection, REZ , Singularitiy, Alan Wake and so many gems that never sold in the numbers they should have

Comment

Yes , but then there's plenty of great games , that did everything right and really should have sold much better than they did . I still can never really work out when the likes of JSRF, Beyond Good and Evil, Oddworld Stranger, O.TO.GI II, Alien Resurrection, REZ , Singularitiy, Alan Wake and so many gems that never sold in the numbers they should have
                          There are examples of games that didn't do so well but not many of them are that surprising. Games like Rez and Jet Set Radio always had a niche appeal.

Quality games are not ones that always have mass appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            There are examples of games that didn't do so well but not many of them are that surprising. Games like Rez and Jet Set Radio always had a niche appeal.

Quality games are not ones that always have mass appeal.
                            REZ I can understand . Jet Set Radio Future I can not . Never mind stunning games like Oddworld Stranger or the likes of Exhumed , Alien Resurrection, Blur , Contra III, Super Metroid, Outrun II, Gradius V and so on .

Comment

I wonder if Shozuki is a Shenmue fan and stumped the $10000 for Ryo's jacket... We know for a fact he has Leon's jacket, so...

Comment

...Fable the journey...

Now you going to tell me that the likes of SONY, Activision , EA, MS aren't big corps and didn't conduct their own Market research.
                                They did on Fable the Journey and they were pretty bang on the money.

Like I said, there's always exceptions to the rule but from what I've seen when I worked under Microsoft, the predictions were very accurate. No idea what it's like at other Videogame Publishers though.

Comment

Working...
                                X