Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Somebody needs to give him a good kick up the backside and tell him to finish his game and none of his nonsense.
    I think it's more that someone needs to gently but firmly remind him that it took 20 years to make the third chapter, and, oh, by the way, YOU'RE 61 YEARS OLD.

Comment

I’m not too fussed about the story now. They started Shenmue III from scratch and most of the legwork is done already. They won’t need nearly as much Kickstarter fundi-I mean money as they got for this game.

Having said that, and in light of revisiting the originals recently, Shenmue is a slog. I haven’t even got to the bit where I’ll be carrying books!

Comment

I’m adamant that Shenmue III will be one of the most spectacular failures in video game history.

I tried the remastered version of the first game out last night. After an hour, I wanted to kill myself. The controls are possibly the worst controls of all time, and the first “The Three Blades” fetch quest is mind-numbingly boring. There’s what, a populace of maybe 100 in the village, and nobody saw a black car driving at high speed? **** off. I couldn’t force myself to play it any further than trying to locate the sailors, due to its torturous gameplay. How I battled my way through the Japanese DC version twenty years ago is beyond me.

I really don’t see how part III will work in 20XX. If it strays too far from the original games, it’ll be slated, and if it sticks too close to them, it’ll be, well I don’t really know, but I’d have no desire to play it as you can buy Tramadol for way cheaper.
        Last edited by J0e Musashi; 15-06-2019, 16:08.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

So I’m a bit late to the party here, but can someone explain to a non-PC gamer why the move to make this an Epic Store exclusive is such a big deal?

If there was a physical release planned and advertised to backers before, I’d get it, but my understanding was that the physical versions were console only. Why is it such a big deal that you have to download the game through Front End A vs Front End B?

EDIT: Oh. They DID promise a physical disc then canned that after advertising it. Yeah...ouch.
          Last edited by Lyris; 15-06-2019, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
            So I’m a bit late to the party here, but can someone explain to a non-PC gamer why the move to make this an Epic Store exclusive is such a big deal?
            Putting aside all of the other nitty-gritty reasons, PC gamers generally dislike exclusivity of any sort. It's a bit like years ago when nVidia tried to pay developers to give "special support" to their graphics cards. This announcement comes amid the backdrop of other games doing this, which has pissed people off.

Comment

i suppose the easiest way to explain it is its like Betamax and VCR if your heavily invested in one format and a game you really want to play comes out only on a rival format and you cant play it because your hardware is incompatible its pretty annoying.....

.....wait what the Epic store works on any PC well whood of thunk it

Steam has such a stranglehold on the PC market i really don't understand why consumers wouldn't want a bit of competition, developers on PC pretty much have one option put your game on steam or it doesn't sell. Steam users seem to hold up Gabe Newal as some sort of god like person working for the good of games, not a monoploy on pc gaming distribution taking a 30% cut from pretty much every game on there service.

One of Valves execs recently was quoted as saying they most likely wont be making a new portal as it only made 111 million. The returns are pocket change to them as They pretty much hold the keys to digital distribution of a very large market, US $4.3 billion of sales last year alone, there not game Dev's anymore there the caretakers of a PC gaming monopoly.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 17-06-2019, 14:46.

Comment

It makes only a minor difference but I think they see it as being like owning a PS4, all your friends and games are on your PSN account and then one day someone says 'coming February 2019! - you'll need a separate Nintendo Online account via our new app that the game will be registered under'

It fundamentally wouldn't affect your access but people would moan endlessly. Or if GAME paid for The Last of Us Part 2 to be exclusively available solely via their stores. You can still buy it but it'd wind you up. Epic gets around it somewhat with their promises on better returns for publishers and pricing but I think there's just no trust that they would hold to the precedent they're setting once they'd have enough control of the market. Otherwise it's no big deal as the convenience argument for having everything under one Steam library falls apart when it's also simply giving Valve and unearnt monopoly

Comment

Ryo hasn't washed in 20 years.

Comment

The argument a lot of hardcore Epic Store haters seem to hold to is that Epic are actually anti-competitive, since they pay for exclusives and should instead be luring players over with a superior achievements system, or something.

Which kind of makes sense unless you consider that literally the only way anyone will ever be able to compete with Steam is by having exclusives. No user experience upgrade is ever going to cut it, since even if you did come up with something genuinely smart, it would be cloned by Valve within the week.

Also there's a lot of stuff about China that gets thrown around, although quasi-racist anti-Sino sentiment seems to sadly be acceptable in US and tech and gaming communities now.

On topic:

Anyone who expects this game to be in any way modernised for a 2019 audience is fooling themselves. It's going to be entirely, awkwardly traditional and true to the first two, and it's going to be glorious for it
                    Last edited by wakka; 17-06-2019, 14:51.

Comment

I just watched some gameplay videos(tortoise racing, chopping wood, training and fighting) and they've got me hyped.

HYPED, I SAY

Comment

If - if - in theory several sequels occurred to this they'd technically be in a good place for progression as once the fan pleaser Shenmue III is out the way they could advance the gameplay towards more modern standards with each sequel. It'd always be behind AAA releases but every time a new entry was reviewed it'd lead stating how much better it played than its predecessor just because the starting point was so dated.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          The argument a lot of hardcore Epic Store haters seem to hold to is that Epic are actually anti-competitive, since they pay for exclusives and should instead be luring players over with a superior achievements system, or something.
                          It's not specific reasons, though some people do have specific problems. It's more that Epic has offered nothing to the consumer to consider going over to their platform, other than ringfencing content. Again; when Microsoft or Sony make a new console, they have exclusives - but those are games which, if the console didn't exist, wouldn't otherwise exist. The exclusivity is a pain but we as consumers gain something.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            It's not specific reasons, though some people do have specific problems. It's more that Epic has offered nothing to the consumer to consider going over to their platform, other than ringfencing content. Again; when Microsoft or Sony make a new console, they have exclusives - but those are games which, if the console didn't exist, wouldn't otherwise exist. The exclusivity is a pain but we as consumers gain something.
                            Makes no sense whatsoever. If people want a say over what platform a game is made for, then pay for its development, otherwise it’s a moot point and your opinion invalid. If a dev is saving huge chunks of cash putting it on Epic then that their prerogative, they get more cash per sale of the game, it’s a complete no brainier.

If your not going to buy the game because it’s missing a few “platform” features, then you obviously wasn’t that bothered about the actual game in the first place and are just trying to be a keyboard moaner.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Makes no sense whatsoever. If people want a say over what platform a game is made for, then pay for its development, otherwise it’s a moot point and your opinion invalid. If a dev is saving huge chunks of cash putting it on Epic then that their prerogative, they get more cash per sale of the game, it’s a complete no brainier.
                              Sorry, but I disagree. You're totally right that the customer can't exert a "right" that a game appears on their platform, but they are allowed to complain about it and they are allowed to refuse to buy it on that basis. That opinion isn't "invalid"; people are expressing it so obviously it's how they feel.

We're talking about supply, storefronts, commerce - this is the very definition of "the customer is always right". If the customer isn't happy, the industry has to reorientate to satisfy their desires, not sit back and complain the customer's opinion is wrong.

Comment

It's not that the customer is wrong exactly. Just inconsistent, reactionary and unable to fully back up why they had a little fit about it in the first place. In our modern times of internet rage, not all of it deserves credence and industries certainly don't have to "reorientate" to meet the whims of the loudest internet voices. They can listen, sure. And should listen. And then ultimately the publishers will do what they feel works for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X