Clear All

You could keep that running every week just from Simpsons eps:

Week 1 - Hugh Chass and Oliver Klosov
    Week 2 - Ivor Biggun and Jacques Strap
    Week 3 - Seymour Butts and Mike Rotch
    Week 4 - Haywood U Cuddleme and Ollie Tabooger
    Week 5 - Drew P.Weiner and Yuri Nator

Comment

Managed to get into the scale test this weekend aaaaand.....!

Not going to waste my Game Pass trial.

First impressions on starting it up aren't too hot, the game looks okay but it has an early 360 era feel to it, it's all too clunky compared to other modern games and the chunky art style carries quite a dated looking title in many ways (though the water is nice). Then things improve as you set sail, set your sights on an island run around it scaling its peak then set off to another island and maybe bump into a player who steals your ship.

And then a couple of hours pass and you realise the game is made up of a core gameplay loop that is too slow to be one tempting to repeat. There will be a section of gamers who will simply like the notion of sailing the seas but if it's true that the Beta is missing content then it must be missing the actual game as it's completely void of anything worthwhile to do. I did find a treasure chest though the action of getting back to your ship is laboured. I'll see what reviews say in the end but if this isn't representative of the final game Rare should have kept it very low key as it doesn't impress. It just has that air of the idea being stronger than Rare has the skill to deliver these days.

Comment

I tried it briefly on Saturday too. Got a crew together, after waiting a good while, then set sail. Within two minutes, the ship was taking on loads of water and it sank. I then got killed by a shark and spent a couple of mins in the afterlife/limbo thing you go to. I was absolutely none the wiser as to WTF was going on throughout.

Comment

My initial impressions were, this is 2018's No Man's Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

Comment

This really isn't tempting me at all, I don't know why they're pushing it so hard, it's not like it pops off the screen, is it?

Comment

a vast empty playground where everything looks the same certainy sounds very similar to no mans sky. These games get caught up in creating massive worlds then forget to actually give you anything interesting to do in them.

They could fix these games so easily the primary joy of these games is exploring and finding new and interesting things to do, the loop seems to be find treasure fight skeletons then sail off to find more treasure in a mostly empty world, their's the odd sunken pirate ship to find but not much else. if anything it would seem that there is even less to do in this than no mans sky.

A game like this has so much media to pick through, i really don't understand how they could make a boring world. imagine finding an Inca temple with boobytraps that required you to travel deep into its vaults to find Inca gold, this could be a whole quest line that see's you all turned into a cursed skeleton pirate crew with benefits like being able to stay under water for longer but also debuffs like you cant go into port on moonlit nights. there really is no excuse, when assassins creed 4 created an amazing rich pirate adventure.

They could stick a ton of Easter eggs in this too with collectable hommage's to popular media imagine finding a giant monkey head from monkey island or one eyed willies ship from the goonies, or lost's mysterious hatch deep in the jungle.

They could do trading too with vast pirate ports and hubs where you can move goods around the world join crews or take on man hunt bountys or quest to bring back specific items.

Comment

Other than the empty overworld, the coop will kill this too. It's too geared that way and games with an over reliance on it rarely make a big impact without a strong full multiplayer or single player component that this seems to lack. Really, Rare should have liaised with someone like 343 to help iron out the original Xbox era controls and then focused on making the same game but single player focused with all the kinds of stuff you mention Lebowski. I can easily see the market for such a game but SOT's delivery doesn't come across strong enough to deliver on its niche promise.

Comment

Here’s a story for you.

I went in solo play, pretty experienced at sailing and know what to do after playing a bit of co-op.

I start off by going to the vanguard guy and accept a few bounties, off I go sailing the high seas, get to my mission location, come under attack by skulls on an island, fend them off, dig up my loot and off I go to next place on map, sail about, goto island fairly straightforward pick up some loot.

I end up with three chests in my small one man ship, I sail for the tower to cash them in of course, as I’m heading towards home, I spot a massive 4 man ship at the dock setting off, I think, please don’t clock me, just go on about your day.....a cannon plops next to me. ****.
                    I spend the next 10 mins being chased by this 4 man ship determined to sink me and steal my treasure, I head towards a storm because the sea is SO choppy I think maybe I can lose them in it. I blow out all my candles, go dark, pull my sail down and drift a bit looking around I see them, so I decide to head towards them and try to zoom past them without being noticed, I manage to do this whilst I hear over the mic.

“There’s the pussy, get him.”

I set my course for the outpost knowing they have no chance out changing direction quickly enough to catch up, get on there and cash in my bounties and I’m rewarded with stuff I can buy that does nothing.

I’ve mixed up Destiny speak with Sea of Thieves, ach well you get the picture.

Thing is when I played it 4 player co-op it was actually a real good laugh, working on a bigger boat requires co-op play and communication to drop anchors when asked and call out directions, so I pretty much believe this game will live and die by it’s community, if it becomes too grief based with people just trolling and killing everyone in sight people will just up and leave it.
                    I was already soured a bit from solo play because It was too stressful being chased by a 4 man crew, who can actually kill you as your taking your loot to the bounty guy to cash in, who’s idea was that?!

Numbers will be helped of course by it being part of game pass, people can rent it for as long as they want to pay which means it may attract a more casual audience who will either not put up with stuff like that or be the ones the do it.

Comment

Does kryss have an XBOX One?

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                        Here’s a story for you.

I went in solo play, pretty experienced at sailing and know what to do after playing a bit of co-op.

I start off by going to the vanguard guy and accept a few bounties, off I go sailing the high seas, get to my mission location, come under attack by skulls on an island, fend them off, dig up my loot and off I go to next place on map, sail about, goto island fairly straightforward pick up some loot.

I end up with three chests in my small one man ship, I sail for the tower to cash them in of course, as I’m heading towards home, I spot a massive 4 man ship at the dock setting off, I think, please don’t clock me, just go on about your day.....a cannon plops next to me. ****.
                        I spend the next 10 mins being chased by this 4 man ship determined to sink me and steal my treasure, I head towards a storm because the sea is SO choppy I think maybe I can lose them in it. I blow out all my candles, go dark, pull my sail down and drift a bit looking around I see them, so I decide to head towards them and try to zoom past them without being noticed, I manage to do this whilst I hear over the mic.

“There’s the pussy, get him.”

I set my course for the outpost knowing they have no chance out changing direction quickly enough to catch up, get on there and cash in my bounties and I’m rewarded with stuff I can buy that does nothing.

I’ve mixed up Destiny speak with Sea of Thieves, ach well you get the picture.

Thing is when I played it 4 player co-op it was actually a real good laugh, working on a bigger boat requires co-op play and communication to drop anchors when asked and call out directions, so I pretty much believe this game will live and die by it’s community, if it becomes too grief based with people just trolling and killing everyone in sight people will just up and leave it.
                        I was already soured a bit from solo play because It was too stressful being chased by a 4 man crew, who can actually kill you as your taking your loot to the bounty guy to cash in, who’s idea was that?!

Numbers will be helped of course by it being part of game pass, people can rent it for as long as they want to pay which means it may attract a more casual audience who will either not put up with stuff like that or be the ones the do it.
                        If people can grief they will, why would you hunt for treasure if you can just sit at the edge of a port and rob solo players for better rewards and half the effort. Sadly monster hunter endded up on the gaming sites recently as you can grief others in multiplayer really easily continuously hitting them to stop them getting monster carves before the timer kicks you back to camp or deliberately getting ko'ed in quest to cause a fail is what some people think is a fun way to play. Capcom are looking into ways to stop this happening but gamers can be such trolls at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                          Here’s a story for you.

I went in solo play, pretty experienced at sailing and know what to do after playing a bit of co-op...
                          Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          If people can grief they will, why would you hunt for treasure if you can just sit at the edge of a port and rob solo players for better rewards and half the effort. Sadly monster hunter endded up on the gaming sites recently as you can grief others in multiplayer really easily continuously hitting them to stop them getting monster carves before the timer kicks you back to camp or deliberately getting ko'ed in quest to cause a fail is what some people think is a fun way to play. Capcom are looking into ways to stop this happening but gamers can be such trolls at times.
                          Also reminds me of The Division, when that launched. Lots of complaints about the Dark Zone. I did have a quick play at the weekend and whilst my story is no where near as exciting as [MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION] - I also has someone attempt to gank me (just another solo player) at the port of the home/safe island.

Not the best first impression of the game.

Comment

So anyone playing this yet?

If so, has it been via the Games Pass system?

Comment

I’ve had a couple of solo sessions mainly because I wanted to get the day one patch (eyepatch for your pirate)
                              When I went to play in crew last night they had just locked the servers for new players to solve some issues, this was about 9:30pm-1am, so never got to sail in a crew, annoying but not the end of the world like some people were shouting about.

Has to be said it’s a god damn pretty game, keep catching myself just staring at sunsets as I sail past.
                              Also yes I’m playing via game pass, had a couple of free passes via the Wuntu app on Three mobile, stacked them up.

Comment

Fired it up yesterday via Game Pass. Played with various randoms. Most had mics. Those that didn’t tended to drop out. Started off with a guy and we were both equally clueless. We got drunk in the tavern and started throwing up while we played our musical instruments.

We eventually got onto a ship and someone with half a clue joined us. From then on we actually had a right laugh sailing about, killing skeletons and getting treasure.

Fired it up again today. Decided to take a small boat with just me as the crew. Gave me chance to get to grip with the game system a bit better. Understand how to set sail length/angle and steer better now. Picked up three bounties and set forth to find treasure. Got two chests and a barrel that made me drunk while I carried it back to my ship.

Got caught in the mother of all storms and spent ages boarding up leaks and bailing out water. Survived. Started heading to a safe harbour to drop off my goods and get paid my hard-earned gold. And then I got a 'you are not connected to Xbox Live message', the game reset and upon reloading all my loot had gone. Yay.

So I had fun but was cruelly denied my reward. Definitely best played with people who like a laugh and have mics.

Comment

Working...
                                X