Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea of Thieves

Finally a new Rare game has been announced for Xbox One and Windows 10

Rare has announced Sea of Thieves, a new IP for the studio, at Microsoft's Xbox conference.The pirate-themed multiplaye…

A new IP and it's a pirates themed online multiplayer swashbuckling action game.

Seems to be a somewhat MMO style title and is aimed for end of 2016.
    Nice to see Rare finally move away from Kinect but they still don't seem to be making the kind of stuff that appeals to me. Left me a bit cold this.

Yeah looks nice, but not my sort of thing either really, maybe it'll grab us nearer the time.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience of the rolling Alpha?

I know the Beta is coming up and full release is only about 8 weeks away but considering it's one of the last XBO exclusives on the horizon the hype level is near zero. Curious to see if it's stronger than the vids suggest (which make it look repetitive) and how solid solo play is (considering most will play it this way)

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Has anyone had any experience of the rolling Alpha?

I know the Beta is coming up and full release is only about 8 weeks away but considering it's one of the last XBO exclusives on the horizon the hype level is near zero. Curious to see if it's stronger than the vids suggest (which make it look repetitive) and how solid solo play is (considering most will play it this way)
        It's weird, because if I recall correctly, people were really excited about it being a group of players manning roles on a ship, as though it was a brand-new idea - but Guns of Icarus already exists on Steam and it's fantastic.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this and have had one eye on it since it was announced.
          It's nice that it's something a bit different to most games out there and has a sense of humour.

Turns out a friend of a friend works at Rare and is part of the SoT team and has been in some of their videos!

Comment

Even though i haven't got an xbox i really want this to turn out well for Rare, they need a win to get them focused and back on track on games as a studio.

Plus, who doesn't like tall tall wooden ships, pirating & treasure? no one that's who

Comment

Have been an insider or whatever they call it when they give you permanent beta access and have seen the game grow very slowly. The last play test, they added the faction progression stuff and clothing and it was pretty good. But there wasn't too much there if I'm honest. Feels like a game where you need mates (eh? eh?) to get the most out of it too. Still, got my preorder for the Play Anywhere edition on cdkeys for £35, when it's going for £50 on the Windows Store and Xbox Live.

Comment

Yeah I'm in the same thing. Playing on your own is OK but I managed to play with three mates in the last test and it was fantastic...

It's got character in spades so I'm in but as it's shines in co-op it's something I'll probably pick up to have a session now and again

Comment

If the solo play is only okay at best then I'll leave it. If it shines in groups of 4+ then it's also a likely indicator it'll price drop fast too

Comment

This could be the next Chromehounds, where most people pass it by, but the ones who get into it, not only love it but it's one of the most memorable games of a console.

Comment

One of the problems I had when I tried to play solo, was with communication. Random dudes just don't want to mic up a lot of the time, and it's very important in SoT that you do. The in game text shortcuts don't cut it, no matter how much you see the devs try to push that feature, it doesn't work as well. This actually led to some funny events in the beta. This one time I had a team that all talked on the mic and we progressed across the islands fine and had a laugh and all that, and we came across an enemy player ship. So we all agreed to head straight for them and have ourselves a fight. As we were all laughing our ass off while jumping onto their ship all we could hear was a dude on the enemy crew shouting "woah you guys all have mics! can I join your team?" it was so funny. I'm hoping that people who invest in a copy of the game will be more aware of how much better the game is with voice.

Comment

Yeah it shines when everyone is chatting and finding things out for themselves. I was trying to explain it to a few friends and I kept calling it charming. It's the Peter Pan of Pirates and just oozes charm... Hopefully that's enough to hold people's attention long enough to check it out.

I agree the only possible downfall is solo play

Comment

SEA OF THIEVES’ LEAKED KRAKEN IMAGES SHOWCASE ITS TERRIFYING SIZE

"Leaked images of the gigantic Kraken in Sea of Thieves have surfaced, and this terrifying beast is a lot larger than anticipated. Spoiler warning ahoy, if you want to see the Kraken first hand without any former insight, you may want to look away now.

Still with us? Great, let’s dive in. Rare recently revealed that the Kraken is more of a “force of nature” rather than a boss, and will show up at random throughout the world within. Here’s what you can expect.

Gigantic, right? The Kraken is said to have eight tentacles that will target players and their ships, and that these tentacles will need to be attacked in order to set a ship free from its grasp. Players will indeed be rewarded for taking out this beast, but going from those images, it certainly doesn’t look like it will be a walk in the park."

Comment

Knowing Rare there'll be a lair that is home to the beast where you find treasure and his wallet containing his ID that confirms he's named Phil.

Phil McKraken

Comment

I once took part in a pub quiz with a mate and said our names were Ben Dover and Phil McKraken.
                              The compere read our names out doing the running scores for five rounds before somebody told her.
                              We didn't win the quiz, but it didn't really matter by that point!

Comment

Working...
                              X