The Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    At no point in the new film does a central character take a beat to be shocked that someone looking like this takes off their face mask to reveal they're not actually a genuine member of medical personnel

Instant KO!
    Which made it funnier? "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Even in that scene (Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm thinking of this scene when I should be working) isn't Harvey refusing pain killers so he's in horrific pain and look delirious as the Joker (With mask on) is raising his bed, so they've explained that away? I can reassure you that during that moment in the Film, not once did I think; Hold on, why didn't Harvey notice Joker in the 10 seconds he's been in the room? Refund me my ticket Sir!

I feel if you're nit picking that badly, all films fall apart; From reasoning why a character suddenly changes their mind to moments where 'No human would ever talk like that!' only the best films don't fall foul of that. And when you're talking about a film where a man's tooling about with half his face missing and a 7ft tall bloke dressed up to the nine's in black rubber, it makes me giggle you pick that as a point of reference!

Leaps of faith are required when you're talking about a comic book movie, DC or Marvel, they're all ridiculous madness and that's half the fun.

Even Blade Runner, my favorite movie of all time, has absurd moments of logic failures but not only do I not question them as reasons to hate the film, I embrace it.

Why is Rutger Hauer running around in his underpants howling like a Wolf?
    He's reverting to his pure, childlike self and adding symbolic moments of Jesus Christ being crucified.
    Ahh, gotcha.

All works of art are subjective and I feel that if you hate the movie this much and nit picking to the level you are, I feel the film isn't for you and that's totally fair. But it does a lot right which you shouldn't be so dismissive of as it's one of the first ever comic book movies, for me, that transcended the medium and was a great Film in its own right. It's a classic action film that honestly, hasn't been beaten.

Comment

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm arguing for arguing sake with this one. It's not a film I consider to be bad or unenjoyable and the genre has certainly offered a long slate of much worse films and interpretations of comic characters over the years. We'll likely get around to watching it again soon as well given the how the new one gets the franchise interest running again.

I think TDK stands out purely because of the level of acclaim it's held up to that I don't see reflected in the film itself. Be it the storyline (which is fine but quite clearly not fully realised), its visuals (despite a near complete disregard for its predecessors already established world building), being a strong Batman film (even though Batman isn't that big a focus and Bale is less than great in it), the action (that I'd venture there are no iconic or particularly strong action scenes in it) or even Ledger (that I don't doubt would have always ended up well recieved but his death certainly adds to the weight applied) it's very much a film that is solid and decent but a greater than the sum of its parts effort.

It's not unique to TDK though, it's a common thing with Nolan in general and there are much more prominent examples there. I'll happily outright say Interstellar and Tenet were both simply ****.

But to circle it back around to The Batman, I'm genuinely pondering whether to go again and watch it a second time at the cinema sometime this month given how quiet new releases are and I feel a need to digest it again. I'm sketchy on some elements but I'd venture on memory that it might cover many of the same points as TDK but in a better handled manner.

Comment

Wow!! That was incredible!!

Comment

For those who want one more taste...

Comment

Meant to say, I saw this at cinema last week.
            Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              For those who want one more taste...

Me watching this: "Huh? What did he say? SPEAK UP?! ARE YOU BANE NOW?!"

Comment

A bit of a thread boost.
                Saw this yesterday for the first time via Netflix. Didn't really enjoy it much for two main points. Fist being the areas filmed in Liverpool that I recognised in a heart beat! The area that was Gotham City Hall was St. George's Hall. That's fine but they left in the Museum, art gallery and even the world war memorial monument and maritime themed lampposts. But get this, at the far left you can clearly see a yellow and black Mersybus (are they still called that?) bus stop!!
                So that, the Liver building and the Anifield graveyard area (I'm from Anfield) really threw me out of the mood but what really made the movie off-putting was the way it was shot. It looked like some TV drama. Was this filmed at a high frame rate or something? It looked terrible.
                Oh, and the sound mix was awful. Either that or somehow Netflix had messed up the 5.1 audio stream.

Comment

I would have thought that setting a crime-riddled city, full of depraved criminal reprobates in Liverpool would have added to the believability?

Comment

I await the spin-off about the criminal underground in Gotham that follows the Court of Owls, the Penguin and Gunhawk

Comment

Working...
                    X