User Tag List

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    Good gameplay.

I acknowledge and appreciate all the good things the original got right, but gameplay wasn't one of them.
    In terms of being a video game the 'gameplay' sent me to sleep. Literally. Twice in two nights.

I suppose it was great at being a cinematic kind of experience... Even at that; animations repeated so often that every fist fight played out identically, every bad guy was choked out exactly the same, and finishing off dudes with a bat looked (and 'played') identically each and every single time.

I thought the gameplay was mediocre, and there was too much of a disconnect between cutscenes and the two gameplay styles (Uncharted combat and Pac-Man).

Stealth horror just doesn't really work for me. If they can't see me I feel OP, so it's not scary.

The cutscenes were fantastic though. I'd play another one just for a laff.

I think some people would have benefited in the gameplay department by playing in Survivor mode or whatever the hardest difficulty was called. It was very intense. You had to really think on your feet and adapt immediately to your circumstances. You may only have one bullet in your pistol, so you have to make it count. The enemy drops something? Grab it quick, get behind cover, and craft whatever you can and use it any way you can.

This is just the human enemies of course. The one-hit-kill mushroom-head douchebags can go spin.

Like Dave says, there wasn't much variety to the combat. And the less said about opening shutters, moving ladders and pushing dumpsters around, the better.

I did play on Survivor mode, and found the items to be highly abundant. Having practically invincible buddies with infinite ammo doesn't really bolster tension, either.

Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    I thought the gameplay was mediocre, and there was too much of a disconnect between cutscenes and the two gameplay styles (Uncharted combat and Pac-Man).

Stealth horror just doesn't really work for me. If they can't see me I feel OP, so it's not scary.

The cutscenes were fantastic though. I'd play another one just for a laff.
    This echo my impression of the game. But I think it would take a lot to get me into a second one. I might be convinced to watch the cut scenes, although ultimately I thought the story of the first ended on a note of utter idiocy.

Gotta disagree on this one dogg, I loved the ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    This echo my impression of the game. But I think it would take a lot to get me into a second one. I might be convinced to watch the cut scenes, although ultimately I thought the story of the first ended on a note of utter idiocy.
    Not gonna lie - you summed it up well a while back and I think I inadvertently nicked your description of why you didn't like it!

I genuinely can see why for some ND's games don't hit the mark, I'm in no way oblivious to their flaws, but I love their stuff beyond anything else in modern gaming. It's virtually unheard of for me to replay anything on modern systems, but with the last of us (and the uncharted series) I happily go back time after time. No game has ever affected me so much emotionally as the story of Joel and Ellie, it had me welling up on more than one occasion, and was a game that raised so many questions in my head over the way it made me feel. Just brilliant really, I never thought as a medium gaming could impact me so much in a way other than just having fun.

In fact, I've just talked myself in to wanting more.

The ending is utter genius. Spent over an hour discussing it with Strider despite me finishing it around 2 am on a school night.