Will all PS2 games work over Component?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will all PS2 games work over Component?

Just realised this week that in my house move a while back, I must have lost my PS2 A/V cable.

Since then, I have a new TV, that takes component-in for HD. I know the PS2 did have a component mode, used for progressive scan on some games.

If I buy a component cable and connect it up, will it work with all games? Or just those with progressive scan modes?

It will work with all PS2 and PS1 games.

Your TV may not support 240p via component though, and then you're up the crapper. Just get an RGB cable if you're not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      It will work with all PS2 and PS1 games.

Your TV may not support 240p via component though, and then you're up the crapper. Just get an RGB cable if you're not sure.
      Does component offer much of an increase in visual quality?

Comment

No, RGB is superior at 240p/480i.

Your set may process component slightly better though, varies wildly.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Does component offer much of an increase in visual quality?
          All games work with a component cable but most don't support 480p in PAL.

If the game support 480p it will look better, but as most PS2 PAL releases had the 480p mode striped out most won't look any better. It does depend on your LCD TV as some support component better than RGB scart.So RGB being superior isn't always the case 100% percent of the time, just about 98% of the time as it does depend on the TV at time. That's a bit pedantic but worth mentioning.

However as speedy said if your TV doesn't support 240p/480i over component it will look like arse, I got one LCD that does and one that doesn't support it, the one that doesn't looks like it running on composite.

Go with RGB Scart as recommended, however my best advise if you can, is to try both and see which is better for your TV. It really is dependent on your TV model and make.
          Last edited by S3M; 02-07-2015, 22:19.

Comment

When I mean supporting 240p, I literally mean if it displays an image or not.

And by RGB being better I mean that it has superior colour bandwidth. Obviously resolutions 480p and above are a huge advantage.

Comment

Also seen cases where the 240p images was heavily maligned or the image just looked terrible. Worked with a lot of PS2 tests units back when I worked for a publisher and the problems changed with each TV some where perfect others where terrible. Had blank TVs before some have issues if the game changes resolution, good game to test that is some of the retro collections. The mega drive one certainly does that.
              Last edited by S3M; 02-07-2015, 22:27.

Comment

I think the Sega Ages 2500 collections (such as the Fantasy Zone one) literally let you change between 240p, 480i and 480p on the fly.

Pretty handy!

Comment

There Japanese only sadly and it's the later games in the series, the PAL version does not included those option. Be handy if Asura mentioned what region his PS2 was.

Best one in is the Sega Ages 2500 Virtual ON as it lets you change fps and has a ton of screen options. Can't remember off the top of my head when those featured first appeared in the series but all the later ones have it like the Wonderboy Collection as they feature Game Gear, Master System and Mega Drives games on them.

It's the Fantasy Zone Complete Collection volume 33, not to be confused with the Fantasy Zone Remake vol 3 which doesn't have them. I do highly advise every one picked up the Fantasy Zone Complete Collection if you can import great collection. Would video the ones I have but my PS2 has stopped read those discs and the laser now needs fixing but that's an issue for another thread.

Highly recommend the later volumes in the series as they where done by M2 and are great ports, avoid the early volumes in the series done by 3D Ages.
                  Last edited by S3M; 03-07-2015, 09:09.

Comment

I use scart for my Japanese PS2 on HDTV looks good enough, I have a Sony Bravia. As others have said above not all games support progressive scan. I tried Gran Turismo 4 round a mates once that did support HD but difference did not seem crazy leaps.

Saying that I bought a little HDMI convertor from Amazon for my Game Cube as my TV does not support S-video through a scart block. Plus component for Game Cube is ridiculous price wise. GC looks ten times better in S-Video than AV did. Will be the same for AV and Scart above.
                    Last edited by JU!; 10-07-2015, 22:12.

Comment

Reviving this. I only have a 4K 55" TV at my disposal and I only plan to play 480i/p games if I do decide to get a NTSC PS2. I didn't mind how either resolution looked on my NTSC GameCube with the Eon GCHD adapter which gives identical results to component. Is component the way to go for my eventual setup? RGB for 480i and component for 480p perhaps?
                      Last edited by Nico87; 25-08-2019, 14:40.

Comment

Depending on the image being sent to your TV. NTSC GameCube supports 480p and if so, it doesn't mean the PS2 will look as good as still not many games support 480p.

I don't know how GC handles 480p. If it is per game or per system.

Comment

GC is per game but quite a lot of NTSC games support it.

Component should be fine for everything on PS2, it's what I use. Obviously for progressive compatible games it will be better, but there aren't many. For games which only work interlaced, you could test RGB against component, but I don't think there will be much if any difference.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken a few games (mostly Cave ports like Mushihimesama and Ibara) don't support optical for audio, but component is fine for everything.

Comment

Is there much between difference PS2 component cables?

I can't use SCART as my LCD TV doesn't support it. Right now I'm using one of those cables which has three ends, PS2, GameCube and Xbox, and goes to component at the other. Is there a reasonable difference for different cables, at a cost-effective price?

That last bit is important. If better cables are ~£100 or something it would make sense to look into an upscaler.

Comment

Working...
                              X