Recommend me a budget (?100 max) HD video camera with audio-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a budget (?100 max) HD video camera with audio-in

I'm hoping to do some videos for YouTube of me performing on my desktop synthesisers. I want to film in HD and the device should have a line -in audio input as I don't want to pick up anything else but a clean direct stream of the synth audio. Although, if the was a way to record from the camera's mic and line-in audio separately, that would be perfect.

Anyone guide me?

You'll be lucky to find anything of quality for that price, especially with audio inputs. I suggest using your phone for the video (all phones do HD now, don't they?) and connecting you audio device direct to the PC. Then all you need to do is sync them up in video editing software. It's not that difficult really.

Comment

I was really hoping to cut out the computer aspect as I would like to record in other places other than where the computer is located [emoji45]. Ah well.

Comment

I'm afraid audio input is quite a high end extra on a video camera.

Comment

Only 1080i, but has line in. Might be similar better things. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-HD...851?nav=SEARCH

Comment

Or rather "mic". Looks like rca phono. Never tried that feature on mine.

Comment

If you can't find a decent camera, how about recording the audio on your phone using the headset port? You can use what's called a TRRS cable or splitter.

I bought this cable from Amazon that does the job.

I got it so I could record loops on my iPhone from random iPad apps I have.

Initially the iPad wasn't having it but somehow it started working.

If you have an iPhone/iPad you can edit the video using iMovie(and it allows adding sound files) or maybe there's a decent one for Android.

Comment

What you'll find with the low end cameras is the audio input tends to have low quality, so you end up needing good quality mics / external preamps to get the audio up to scratch.

What you might be better off with is, as suggested, using your phone for video and getting an external recorder such as the Tascam DR05 for the audio, as it sounds like this is the most important aspect of the stuff you want to record - this is a unit you can continue using if / when you upgrade to a higher quality video camera too. These can be had for under ?100 and it'll be far more portable than lugging a laptop with you.

I'm not sure you can eliminate a PC from the equation entirely though - you're going to want to edit, right?
                Last edited by MartyG; 14-07-2015, 07:50. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  I'm not sure you can eliminate a PC from the equation entirely though - you're going to want to edit, right?
                  I think he just means that he doesn't want to have a PC with him when he records.

Comment

MartyG's idea is good - divert that money elsewhere. And that Tascam he linked to does line-in.

On the budget end of the scale: When I record video on my iPhone with the earphones plugged in it uses their mic!

Also, I found this video on YouTube showing you can record videos with proper line audio:

The advantage of this is you get instant results without having to do any editing or use a PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X