No announcement yet.

RIP Satoru Iwata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if he even likes videogames? Maybe after self-confessed gamer and game developer Iawata, who at the tail-end of his reign has been greeted with derision by many gamers, the press and the markets, Nintendo needs a salaryman with a tight grip on the bottom line (being ex-CFO and all that).

Me personally, have really enjoyed my time with the Wii and Wii-U. Not to say that I think the gamepad is a great idea, but for me, off-TV play has been a godsend. I wouldn't say I'm a core Nintendo fan, don't really enjoy the 8-bit era difficult SMB platformers, though loved Galaxy I&II. I've even had more fun than I thought possible with Wii Music. So, I think that the Wii was amazing, but Wii-U a bit less so.

Obviously I've not denied myself the 360, PS3 and PS4, but the PS4, Wii and Wii-U are the only consoles hooked up to the big telly in the lounge,

Comment

Despite how likeable Iwata was it does seem like Nintendo has taken the opportunity to lurch back towards having someone who is more of a money man in charge. Makes sense I guess as after the lower lifetime sales of 3DS and the outright failure of WiiU I imagine sectors of the company and shareholders were silently screaming for heavy change.

Comment

Today marks the third anniversary of Iwata-san's passing.

Going to repost the Did You Know? Gaming episode that was dedicated to him back in 2016, one year after he passed (pretty sure that the forum reset wiped my original post of it).

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-07-2018, 10:55.

Comment

Iwata-san would've turned 60 today.

Polygon posted this article on the 4th anniversary of his passing back in July.

Satoru Iwata had big dreams for what Nintendo could be, and it seems like they have all come true, even if he was never able to see the fruits of his vision.

Comment

I love that you recognise this every year! Very cool. Iwata really was great. It was very moving to go on Miiverse immediately after his passing. So many tributes. In fact nothing but tributes.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              I love that you recognise this every year! Very cool. Iwata really was great. It was very moving to go on Miiverse immediately after his passing. So many tributes. In fact nothing but tributes.
              Cheers. It's impossible to think about Nintendo's modern history and the wider modern gaming landscape in general without acknowledging the impact and influence that Iwata-san had on both.

A person worth recognising in every sense.

Comment

And if you own Star Battle for the VIC20, you have a game he programmed
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Time flies.

Five years today since Iwata-san's passing.

Comment

I got sad when I saw his name during the Zelda BotW credits last week.

Comment

Working...
                    X