Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first tomb raider was a festering pile of dung, especially on the saturn. Way to ambitious for the hardware it was running on. Some seriously misted up rose tinted specs being worn in this thread.....

Comment

The first Tomb Raider was a fantastic game for the time and even today the level design and music are as good if not better than anything available from current or past gen games. The controls did take some getting used too but not too long and the jump mechanic worked perfectly. I remember playing it back in the day and loving the graphics which definitely wern't bad although the Saturn version was a tad rough looking. But it was the level design and atmosphere/music that i really loved the most.

I remember Edge magazine saying in it's review of TR back in the day:

Tomb Raider is an exceptional game. Take out a few glitches and add a touch more action and it would be an almost perfect creation. But as an epic scale adventure in it's own right it is never anything less than totally captivating 9/10

The 2nd & 3rd are both worth playing if you enjoyed the 1st with Barkhang Monastry on TR2 being one of the best levels ever.
      Last edited by Sam The Man; 02-08-2015, 04:02.

Comment

I enjoyed Tomb Raider...and I played through it on the Saturn, too! It had a good sense of...vertigo. Any false move felt like a suicide, I'd get that icky woozy feeling kinda like when you chuck Niko off a high building in GTAIV, that sense of 'plummet'. Quick drop, no chance of survival, instant death. It had a sense of risk.

Barring that, though, I'd never say it was a perfect game, and after playing through 2 on the PS1, I kind of lost interest...though that latest one feels like it might be good. Got 'em all though, even the first PS2 one. It's got its own appeal, I like to hear people describe how they didn't like it, have usually only ever read praise about the game. Vive le difference.

Comment

And all versions of Jurassic Park were terrible, the MD one's a shoddy 90s US floaty platformer with sh!t level design, the SNES one just looks really slick. And has no life, fun or personality to the gameplay. Monotonous maze gaming but with lush greens. Even the sequel on SNES looked lush. But was an annoying game...yet the best one out of the three to get as it does manage to be fun (and slick-looking).

Comment

Any of the Snes donkey kong games, never got on with them. Hard to put my finger on what it was. Also many n64 games - goldeneye and perfect dark namely, as like others I had been playing doom/quake on the pc and thought that they were far better.

Comment

I never see any praise for the snes donkey kong games.
              Forget the graphics and relitively generic gameplay for a second, the music in the first game is exceptional and definitely some of the best snes music ever. That water level music <3

Comment

Tomb Raider is neither dung or broken. Neither is it perfect but it works within the confines of its design.

Comment

I still love the original Tomb Raider (and I only finally completed it a couple of years ago, so this isn't based on nostalgia). The controls are brilliant because you have to micromanage every aspect of a climb. It's the complete antithesis of the barely-a-game Uncharted series, where you literally just hold the stick in the direction you want to go and mash the x button, and Nathan will navigate an entire climb for you. Don't even look at the screen if you don't want to.

Tomb Raider has an amazing atmosphere. It's like a 3D non-sci-fi Metroid. Explore an ancient environment in isolation, enjoy the atmospheric music, kill all the local wildlife, etc.

Comment

Wow, alot of tomb raider love here - might have to give it another rattle to see if my impressions, from nearly 20 years ago are way out lol

Comment

Not that I'm saying they're bad games, they're just something I can't get in to, but any and every Zelda game.

Comment

Nothing wrong with not liking them. Tomb Raider is certainly dated today and wasn't perfect on launch regarding controls but Core did a good job of ensuring their world worked well.
                        Last edited by nakamura; 02-08-2015, 18:54.

Comment

They did a pretty stellar job with the SS version. Not many games like that on the system that work well. I was impressed.

Only thing I really hated was the crappy lock-on shooting of numerous gorillas and the gunplay that felt like paper roses firing confetti out. Summat like that. Guns were the worst part, it was all about the exploration and the vertigo for me.

Comment

The combat was ****e but luckily sparse. The sheer sense of scale was amazing and the level design very well thought out. Never played it on Saturn.

Comment

Might be rose-tinting things but I rented the PS version and they looked practically identical, bar the PS having subtler lighting and AAIng (???)

Think the SS version came out first by a few months, iirc? I was deffo playing it in like Aug/Sept '96, didn't the PS version come out nearer Chrimbo '96 or am I talking bawbags?

EDIT: Oct '96 according to Wikipedia. Close.
                              Last edited by JazzFunk; 02-08-2015, 19:47.

Comment

I have no doubt on a side by side comparison that the Saturn probably fares worse than the PS1 version but, yeah, it came out on Saturn first and that's what I played it on first and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Playing it later on PS1, nothing stood out as being particularly better and similar nothing stood out as worse except the warping textures when close and sometimes seeing the cracks between polys, both of which I think were quirks of the PS1? At least I don't remember the Saturn doing that.

I replayed TR1-3 about a year or so ago and felt they still stood up remarkably well, although the visuals of 1 are crude and 3 feels like it wasn't quite finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X