Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you end up buying the laptop?

Comment

Can anyone signpost me to a laptop that has the high specs to run most emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Can anyone signpost me to a laptop that has the high specs to run most emulation.
        "Most emulation" is very vague. You can have fast snes emulators running on a 60MHz P1 or cycle emulators (Higan) that require an Intel Core processor. For later stuff like GC emulation you'll also need a decent GFX card, the more specific you are the better I can help you.

Got a budget?
        Last edited by The Moleman; 09-09-2015, 17:40.

Comment

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
          "Most emulation" is very vague. You can have fast snes emulators running on a 60MHz P1 or cycle emulators (Higan) that require an Intel Core processor. For later stuff like GC emulation you'll also need a decent GFX card, the more specific you are the better I can help you.

Got a budget?
          Cheers

I'd be looking to emulate arcade titles from 2000 onwards if possible; budget ?400-600? Something i can link up to my monitor

Comment

Anything can do MAME but it's the Sega AM3, Capcom CPS3 and Triforce arcade boards that can really draw power. This would be probably the best for around your budget:

MSI have a really good rep and the GT940m is a modern DX11 mid range card. The processor isn't the best as it's one of those low power ones but it's more than up to the task for most things bar 1080p ultra gaming which the GFX card wouldn't support anyway. There's other GP60's spec'd with SSDs so I imagine there's a spare bay to upgrade it should you want to.

Comment

I've got a Lenovo Z580 with 8GB ram, i5 CPU and a Geforce 650m. It runs pretty much every emulator easily, but can only run GC/PS2 and Wii with some tweaking to graphics etc. Being able to take pretty much all of my favourite games ever anywhere with me is ace.

I should point out though that this laptop is crap in general and wouldn't recommend buying one. Get's very hot and battery life is terrible (probably due to using 2 graphics cards)

Comment

Ok so i never bothered getting one in the end, i probably got distracted by squirrell out the window. Anywho, while looking at bargain bin priced laptops i saw this one, more the spec i need. Any thoughts on it chaps? http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.MS...e_1846766.html

Comment

Doesn't look too bad for the price - the i7-4510U is at the lower end of the Core i7 processors being 4th gen - what are you planning on using the laptop for?

Comment

Mostly CS6 & lightroom, it would be my new work computer. Though i understand only the newest lightroom supports graphics cards, is that correct? I did notice the processor wasn't the latest gen, though that's not really a big issue, its still a fast chip.

Question: what could the system use 8gb of ssd in a hybrid drive for, doesnt windows take up about 20gb?

My current mac specs,
                    iMac (20-inch, Early 2008), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB. The old girl has done me proud, but long in the tooth isn't the word spec wise, with anything adobe open & chrome it crawls to a halt.

edit. Yep lightroom 6 supports GPU's now.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 14-10-2015, 13:07.

Comment

It's unlikely the GPU in that laptop will give you much in the way of performance gains - LR6 only uses it for certain tasks anyway. The laptop should be fine for that work, the only thing you may have an issue with is the screen resolution unless you're plugging it into a larger monitor, it says full HD but specs would suggest its vertical resolution is 768px, which I personally find a touch on the light side after working on 1080P 24" screens (a 4K monitor for work would be nice).

The SSD portion in hybrid drives acts as a cache for frequently accessed data.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 14-10-2015, 13:17.

Comment

Ah ok thanks for the hybrid info, i may replace that with a full ssd anyway. Ram will be upgraded to 16gig too straight away. I'll be plugging it into a monitor, couldnt work for any period on that screen.

Comment

I was gonna go in for a 15" MacBook Pro in the new year (when it would likely be updated hardware), but that MS Surface Book looks like the absolute sex...

Comment

Id love to get a top of the line macbook pro, but i just can't justify the prices anymore buying apple stuff outright.

Comment

You could buy a ?150 ThinkPad T420 or something and it'd be 10x better than your iMac - although they have an awful TN display.

Comment

I'm on my fourth work Thinkpad that in the same period I've had one MacBook Pro.

Comment

Working...
                                X