No announcement yet.

Laptop thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 2007 ThinkPad that's still going strong for general usage, and my 2012 model is basically excellent for everything I've tried on it. They're well built machines but Windows requires a little extra maintenance compared to OSX, I think.

I'm assuming you ran into issues and asked for a new one? I buy mine ex-business so I save a chunk of change, but I like to fiddle with stuff so, you know - I don't mind hassle!

Edit: Plus I don't actually need one for work, although I'd totally have one for work if the situation ever arose.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 14-10-2015, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      You could buy a ?150 ThinkPad T420 or something and it'd be 10x better than your iMac - although they have an awful TN display.
      I'll have some of what you're smoking because that statement is amazing.

ThinkPads are garbage, even moreso in the Lenovo era which is an incredible achievement because they were pretty sh1t when IBM made them way back in the day.

I'm saying that as somebody who has used them for work for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        I'll have some of what you're smoking because that statement is amazing.

ThinkPads are garbage, even moreso in the Lenovo era which is an incredible achievement because they were pretty sh1t when IBM made them way back in the day.
        In what way are they garbage exactly, care to elaborate? The T420 is my fifth and I've enjoyed using all of mine.

Edit: Also I was talking compared to his Core 2 Duo iMac, a Sandy Bridge laptop CPU will blow that away.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          In what way are they garbage exactly, care to elaborate? The T420 is my fifth and I've enjoyed using all of mine.
          Where do I start?

For me, build quality and clunky, sluggish software/bloatware are the biggest bugbears.

I get that they have an appeal today because they're pretty cheap (hence why the vast majority of workplaces going for hotdesking buy them), but there's simply no contest between a ThinkPad and an MBP, imho - the MBP is streets ahead.

Comment

Can't say I echo your sentiments but the MBP is an entirely different hardware skew these days IMO. The Carbon X1 is the kind of thing that Lenovo make to compete with that. If I was spending a grand plus I'd buy a MBP, don't get me wrong, but I've not spent more than ?250 on a ThinkPad yet - won't get much MacBook for that.

Software is fairly irrelevant, I always do a clean install of Windows anyway.

Comment

I looked at a dell xps13 too as there a nice machine. Always fall back to the same decision though that if I'm spending that kind of cash I'm going Mac book pro, don't want to spend that kind of cash outright at the moment though.

Anything newish will beat my old iMac though
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 14-10-2015, 19:12.

Comment

I have a proper desktop with IPS displays and other shiz for doing actual "work".

Laptop is just for fudging around I guess, still don't have a tablet.

Comment

I've got a Thinkpad 430s and it's excellent, I've recently refurbished some ex business 420s and they are great machines still going strong.

I've got a small collection of old Thinkpads (win 3.1) etc and bar a few dings are still running. So from my experience they are excellent and last, you've gotta judge each machine on its own merits rather than brand bias.

I've worked with hundreds of HP business laptops, some ranges have been great, some like the modern 840's, crud.

Comment

That surface book is way more expensive than the best macbook pro and has a screen connection mechanism that is just begging to be destroyed

Comment

#badmaths

The best MacBook Pro is almost ?3000

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Where do I start?

For me, build quality and clunky, sluggish software/bloatware are the biggest bugbears.
                        The real ThinkPads had some of the best build quality around - the Lenovo stuff is where it went wrong. The original IBM machines weren't loaded with spyware. I still have a T61 which runs Linux Mint; its build quality beats most modern laptops hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                          #badmaths

The best MacBook Pro is almost ?3000
                          Yeah I kinda rushed to make my point. Should have known I'd be called out on it!

I wanted to compare like for like. If you take a 13 inch macbook pro, so same screen size roughly as surface pro, then the 256GB Macbook with i5 (no desktop GPU) is $1500 vs the Surface Book with 256GB and i5 and no desktop GPU at $1700.

Comment

Should point out from my previous comment of Thinkpads vs MBP's that all my TP's have been Lenovo's. Currently have a T420, and it's showing all the usual signs of getting to crapsville.

Comment

But what symptoms are those, entirely software? Battery kicking the bucket? Tired of the abysmal display?

I adore the keyboard on the T420, the reason I didn't opt for a T430. It feels like a real keyboard, I can type almost as fast and comfortably as on my desktop mechanical keyboard.
                              Last edited by speedlolita; 15-10-2015, 15:26.

Comment

A bump from 2015 - this popped up on LTT and it looks quite interesting. The modular Laptop from Framework. With an 11th Gen Core i5 they start at $749, it's not completely unreasonable. I suppose it depends on whether being able to easily replace/repair components on a Laptop is important to you.

Framework Laptop: A thin, light, high-performance notebook that's upgradeable, repairable, and 100% yours. Order today with the latest configuration options.

Unfortunately they're not available in the UK currently, but it's definitely an interesting idea - one I'd consider next time I need to upgrade my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                                X