Laptop thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop thread.

Couldn't find anything on the search as far as a general laptop thread goes. Im looking for a general dogsbody laptop to handle cs6, lightroom 5 for general design and photography, plus the very occasional game. Spec wise this is the best ive seen for the money, have anyone had any experience with this brand before, seems like a very well specced lappy for the price. I would just get another mac/macbook but the outlay for the spec i want is just outrageous, and with w10 adding in a lot of my must have features from osx the operating system isn't so much a problem anymore.

Take you games with you wherever you go with a gaming laptop. Shop our huge range of gaming laptops from the top brands, including MSI, ASUS, Lenovo, and more. Next-day delivery and flexible finance offers available.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 10-08-2015, 08:01.

That looks nice, but I would swap the HDD for a larger SSD. 500GB at 5400RPM won't cut it.

Also, clean your inbox. I've been trying to contact you for the past few days

Comment

Yes i was going to upgrade the ram to 16gig & add a ssd as well, i think it'll serve me nicely.

Briareos i've cleaned my inbox out, apologies.

Comment

?100 more than your link but substantially more powerful. This is more tailored to your gamer side but the i7 4710 will breeze through tasks and the GTX850M is a great card that will play a lot of stuff on high settings. Unfortunately its not specced with a SSD but it has extra drive bays for you to DIY, look on the bright side, at least you'll be able to choose a big and fast SSD rather than the bargain bin crap a lot are equipped with.

Gigabyte have a good reputation for build quality so i have no issues recommending them.

Comment

I have a laptop with an i7, and while I appreciate the extra power over an i5, I would go with an i5 if I was given the choice again. The i7 draws a lot of power, not a problem if the laptop is meant as a static desktop replacement, but if meant to be taken around, it's a liability.

Comment

Space and lugging around isn't a problem. That looks a fair bit more beefy Moleman cheers. Any reccomendations for an ssd? I've some of them are unreliable?

Comment

Lightroom and Photoshop are both CPU bound rather than GPU (GPU acceleration only got introduced with Lr6). So if you want it for that purpose you want the best CPU and as much ram as possible

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Space and lugging around isn't a problem. That looks a fair bit more beefy Moleman cheers. Any reccomendations for an ssd? I've some of them are unreliable?
                Old OCZ models are, but they aren't on the market anymore. The most secure choice are Samsung 840 and 850 models; the Pro variant of both adds some life cycles to the drive, but for your workload it's not really worth the price hike.

Comment

For the extra ?100 molemans option is the better computer. I'll be upgrading the ram to 16gig and putting an ssd in it too.

Comment

I'd avoid the 840, it has some well documented problems. I'm not sure if the 850 is better

Comment

My friend has run a 840 for years without issue. -shrug-

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        I'd avoid the 840, it has some well documented problems. I'm not sure if the 850 is better
                        With the 850 out, 840 are quickly getting replaced. The issues were solved with a firmware update, and they still were incredibly reliable drives. I have a mix of 840s and 850s serving in various roles (including video recording) and have never had a problem.

Comment

The P15 specification from Gigabyte's website states:

'Supports up to 512GB mSATA SSD + two 1.5TB HDD Massive Dual-storage System (*optional)'

I would just lob a 512GB 850 evo in and be done with it. There are faster SSDs out there but the performance increase is incramental and they can cost up to 4x the price. 850 EVOs are universally acclaimed.

Comment

Soon this mSATA+HDD will end, M.2 PCIE SSDs are gaining momentum at an incredible rate. I hope that soon 15" and above laptops will feature M.2+2.5" SSD/HDD and option of bigger batteries in place of optical units.

Comment

Bought a 850 Pro for my ThinkPad T420 today after learning the mSATA was only SATAII. Was gonna get the EVO but bumped it up to the Pro because why not?

I might do the FHD panel mod to this unit too. Also need to get a good quality HDD Ultrabay slot and plant a 1TB in there. Plus my Port Replicator should be here soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X