The Sega Mega CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren

if your are buying to play rather than collect and are on a budget, i'd advise the following; for the megadrive, famicom and neogeo games, get yourself a modded xbox. The games run exactly as they should can output in RGB or 720p. I have used one for years and i couldnt do without it. I am very fussy about games glitching/not running properly/poor emulation etc and from what i have played its perfect, For the N64, get yourself an RGB modded Jpn machine and buy an everdrive- the full catalogue running perfectly at your fingertips. And lastly for the ps2 and saturn, get chipped units and a large packet off cdrs. The only people making money out of these older games, is collectors. Most of the great saturn games like Guardian force, Radiant silvergun, panzer saga, hyper duel etc cost a fortune. dont worry, we wont tell anyone ;-)

Comment

Andy...I know what you're saying.....but...that would leave me with too many games...when I bought my 1st arcade machine in my 20's I had it 'mamed' and I struggled (My own fault I know) to play one game properly without trying everything..apart from kung fu master, at the time.

The thing is...I'm never ever going to have a collection of more than 50 games at any given time, that will be plenty.....

I'm not sure man, maybe you're right...let me put some thought into this,....I just like original hardware and controllers as much as anything...

EDIT CD'rs! that's illegal mate hehe....I'm jesting...I see your point 100% and again..i'm going to put some thought into what you said :-)
      Last edited by ShadowDancer; 17-08-2015, 13:37.

Comment

I do like getting involved in the retro part of this forum though, including posting pictures....I would miss that too if I went the emu way...
        again...I will still put some thought into this....its only because I never have a massive pile of games at any given time I'm not too worried.

You Do make a very valid point about who is making the money out of this...well, mostly ebay sellers...

Comment

Only you can know what you want. The Xbox emulation route to me is really unappealing, no matter how great or convenient it may be. If I'm going that route, I may as well plug my Qanba into my PC and be done with it. Again, to each their own.

With the EverDrive on N64 situation... The N64 barely has enough games to justify an EverDrive if you ask me so I never really saw the appeal of that. PS2 games aren't especially expensive right now either, although I totally agree with getting a chipped Saturn if you want to flirt with shmups. Again though, the odd shmup aside, games aren't that expensive for those. It is just an issue with "cult" titles that people tend to collect and not play that make prices rise - pretty sad.

If you're buying stuff and playing it as you go, I don't see any reason not to stay legit, even if you are on a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
            Andy...I know what you're saying.....but...that would leave me with too many games...when I bought my 1st arcade machine in my 20's I had it 'mamed' and I struggled (My own fault I know) to play one game properly without trying everything..apart from kung fu master, at the time.

The thing is...I'm never ever going to have a collection of more than 50 games at any given time, that will be plenty.....

I'm not sure man, maybe you're right...let me put some thought into this,....I just like original hardware and controllers as much as anything...

EDIT CD'rs! that's illegal mate hehe....I'm jesting...I see your point 100% and again..i'm going to put some thought into what you said :-)
            i understand mate, but better too many than too little (just select what you want and delete the rest). Maybe thats just me though.
            With the right adaptor, you could use most original pad/sticks on the xbox.

I like abit of both - collecting and playing. The collecting is usually the cheaper end of the market. I think as you get older, you play less anyway.

Comment

The Mega CD can play backups/CDR's with out the need for any mod . So just get a Mega CD and download back ups and burn away . I have the modded Xbox and while the emu is almost spot on the RGB output of Mega Drive scart is better , the MD 6 button pad is unbeatable imo .

And if the Mega CD games must be original just import USA SEGA CD games for the main -which doesn't cost the earth . I wouldn't bother with the likes of Shinning Force - overprice and not that great imo. I would get the Lunar and Popfulmail originals though... Working Desgins done awesome job with the artwork and packaging.

Comment

Yes..maybe I could look to something of a compromise/balance...I 100% see what you're saying though mate.
                I appreciate your advice too...I know you're a top guy Andy :-)

Comment

I made an offer on this very forum about 5 years ago or more for popfulmail and Lunar...but it never did work out..this was before I had a mega cd, and still have never had one. Just the feeling I still get from Sega games I've played over the years and games I haven't played.

I mean, the sega cd isn't that obscure...maybe the 32X is to a degree....I guess this then becomes how sega unravelled itself...

Still...I'm enjoying reading about the sega cd and all the games I've never played on it...as I've never owned one!

Nice list earlier by the way TA - Nice one. Watched a few already on youtube :-)

Comment

the xbox RGB output is truly gash. However up the resolution and it does really shine via component. Whack in a scanline generator (if you want a more CRT look) and bobs your auntie

Comment

i used to have a wondermega and the mega cd is worth a look in. TA has listed the better titles, but i wouldn't rate it that highly TBH

the cd audio is fantastic on some on the games (especially final fight), but unless its an FMV game, there is very little to distinguish it from an MD game, bar some nice scaling effects in some games. Big Silpheed though.

Comment

the cd audio is fantastic on some on the games (especially final fight), but unless its an FMV game, there is very little to distinguish it from an MD game, bar some nice scaling effects in some games.
                        Games like Soul Star, Thunder Hawk, Battle Corps and Batman Returns the Mega CD wouldn't have a pray of handling with the scaling and notation those games are throwing around . Nice little games like Chuck Rock II look better on the Mega CD with spot rotation and scaling effects and brilliant music , Lunar II looks better than the Saturn or PS versions (thanks to better animation in the battle and game sections) and there wasn't a MD RPG at the time that came close

Also games like NHL and Sensible Soccer are so much better on the Mega CD too ,thanks to the CD audio and sound effects which greatly add to the atmosphere, same goes for Fifa

Comment

Good luck trying to find a copy of Snatcher that you won't have to pay over-the-odds for.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Good luck trying to find a copy of Snatcher that you won't have to pay over-the-odds for.
                            I would just download and burn a copy. Most of the Pal Mega CD is stuff is just way overpriced thanks to people milking it on ebay

Comment

There are good repro bootlegs that have ruined the US market for Snatcher too. As above, download it.

Comment

That is depressing to hear :/

-edit-
                                I had no idea Snatcher is now a $400 game. Way too much for me.
                                Last edited by Cepp; 17-08-2015, 17:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X