Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sega Mega CD

Okay! I've never owned a Sega Mega CD.
    Is it worth getting one? What options do I have? My MD is a MD1 with region switch..is there a specific one I should go for?

Tell me more, Please :-)

I'm pretty sure just about anything worth owning goes for decent money so it depends how much you want to spend.

Sonic CD, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, Snatcher and both Lunar games are on my wish list. There's some decent shooters I believe as well?

Comment

I've always wanted to play Lunar silver star story on mega cd.
      How do the region code work...can I buy a PAL Mega CD and change the region to US or JPN for the Mega CD...I'm guessing it wont be that simple....?

Comment

I'm still looking into this myself but I think you either need a Mega CD from the region the game is from (with your MD set to that region as well) or a Mega CD with an any region bios.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I have a swtchless modded Japanese MD1 connected to a Meg CD 1 with a multi region bios installed, the reset button on the MD unit controls the region for both, very easy to use, but it's not a simple mod..

Easiest solution is to use an Everdrive to load the region free bios, then play whatever you want..

The MCD 1 and 2 will both work with your MD model 1 but the Mega CD 1 looks a lot better in my opinion, MCD2 attachment makes it too wide...

There are a surprising number of good games given the crappy reputation of the console, Vay, Lunar 1 and 2, Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon, Dark Wizard are all worth playing along with Flashback and its sequel which is exclusive to MCD..

Comment

I didn't know about the everdrive, that's interesting.

And yeah, I agree it has a decent selection of titles worth checking out. There's also an exclusive Shadowrun RPG on there that's being fan translated (although when/if that comes out is anyone's guess).

-edit-
            +1 for the MCD1 (although the MCD2 does look pretty decent if it has the bracket imo).
            Last edited by Cepp; 17-08-2015, 08:07.

Comment

I thought you were skint but still buying quirky PS2 titles and an N64?!

Be careful that chasing the games doesn't become more thrilling than the playing them!
              That's a slippery slope to video game burnout, my friend!

Comment

Mega CD is well worth getting if you're a MD fan and don't listen to the 'trademark ' the only good games on it are Sonic CD , Thuderhawk and Final Fight . Those are just off people who never gave the system the time of day.
                Mark 1 Model is getting expensive these days and don't worry too much about the region lock as you can either get Everdrive or the MegaCart (which is ace)

If you go for the system get these games and also some of the FMV games are great fun too

Batman Returns - Best 16 bit racer ever and also features one of the greatest soundtracks to any game

Soul Star- Shows what the system could really do and also features a top music score and isn't a bad shooter

Battle Corps - Great mech sim with great graphics massive explosions and another killer CORE music score

Jurassic Park - Nothing like the Cart versions, but instead is great point and click adventure game

Heart Of the Alien - Sequel not that great , but the music and sound really add to the package

Third World War- One of the best sim games ever made

Robo Aletse - nice shooter

Rise of the Dragon - For me this is better than Snatcher and another ace point and click game

Ecco - Just get it for the music score

Eternal Champions - One of the deepest 2D fighters ever

Lunar - Best RPG ever made imo and the Mega CD music score is the best

Lunar II - The best sequel to a game ever and is just amazing for a 16 bit title

Popful Mail - Charming looking/sounding RPG/Platform game that's lovely to play

Thunderhawk - Not as good as people make out, but still fun and features another great CORE music score

Eye Of the Beholder - Great port and the Yuzo music score is ace

Final Fight - Best version of the game imo

Bari-Arm - Great little shooter

Switch- Just sheer Japanese madness , but is one of my fav games of all time

Dracula Unsealed - Don't believe the hate. Its not really a FMV game but one of the best Point and Click games ever made , that just uses FMV (like Gabriel knight 2)

Prize Fighter - Its FMV but it makes amazing use of the format and its just fun and top laugh to play

Jaguar XJ220 - nice racing game with another amazing CORE soundtrack and also features a neat level editor

Keio Flying Squadron - Nice shooter

Sonic CD - For me the best 16 bit sonic game (not that's saying that much ) Love the sound track and time machine feature

Slipheed - Great looking and half decent shooter

WonderDog - Stunning looking platform game which another ace CORE music score

Wing Commander - Best console version of the game and still to this day plays great

Snatcher- Great adventure game

Comment

The Mega CD will be a purchase much further down the line...I was just looking into it.
                  I managed to get a cheeky loan off my bro and I am owed some holiday money..so things are looking up this week...
                  I wont be buying everything in one go tho:-)

EDIT I've probably played the mega drive I got recently for over 20+ hours since Friday...I defo love playing games as much as chasing them..

I know what you're saying though...I honestly don't have the money to build a massive collection to look at and not play...throughout my entire gaming history...my collections have only been moderate.
                  Last edited by ShadowDancer; 17-08-2015, 11:24.

Comment

Coolio!

I'm not doubting your gaming dedication or telling you how to spend your money, I just know that having too much choice is usually a bad thing and you end up buying more games because you want to recapture that thrill.

Sounds like you've got a plan though!

Comment

Coolio? 😅

QC is right though. Buying often takes over playing. Got to tread carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Coolio!

I'm not doubting your gaming dedication or telling you how to spend your money, I just know that having too much choice is usually a bad thing and you end up buying more games because you want to recapture that thrill.

Sounds like you've got a plan though!
                        No, You're so right QC. When My dad passed away, I inherited some cash, and I was buying all kinds of stuff...that didn't work out, its the only time I have, and I've learnt from that. I was saying to speedy recently..about the 5 consoles I wanted...the rest is all further down the line...
                        besides, I only have 1 job now and its part-time. I just enjoy reading (like you guys) about games and stuff...I only ever buy a few titles these days, with the exception being today..i bought Fuses SNK games, but..i love neo stuff and I only just got a Japanese PS2 and these games will be well played and loved :-) I know what you're saying and again, I agree totally...It can screw things up..
                        Last edited by ShadowDancer; 17-08-2015, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          Coolio? 

QC is right though. Buying often takes over playing. Got to tread carefully.
                          I agree Nakamura....everything I've bought so far has been small bundles..i don't even plan to buy any more consoles for the time being...I mentioned this in a thread when I starting buying some consoles back...

I was fortunate that the mega drive I bought came with a great selection of games...I only wanted to pass on 4....2 cart only, and 1 game I had played to death and one I didn't fancy..had tried before.....

Again...I agree with you and QC...I'm not in a financial position to spend spend spend, chase chase chase anyway...

Just, I had a bit of money (from culling my record collection) I am owed some holiday money (speedys n64) and my brother earned ?700 last week and gave me a long term ?100 to help me out....which..has ultimately been half spent on them neo games....but will be played to death.

Comment

There our a lot of good Mega CD, there not that cheap or easy to find anymore in the wild, as QC said careful you don't get burnout.

By the sound of it you might be better having a play with emulators for the system, there about 99% accurate for the system.

Comment

I'm now worried about the burnout! I honestly play everything I buy...I made a plan to buy 5 consoles after I regrettably gave up gaming...and the Modded RGB N64 was the last one on the list....there are a few others, but, I always thought I'd invest my time into

Famicom
                              Mega Drive
                              Jpn PS2
                              Jpn Saturn
                              n64

that will give me loads of variation...as of now, I haven't deviated from that..i always read about games and watch videos...I don't buy everything I see, and besides...I can't afford it....some of the games I have bought are 'classics' that I've played countless times and continue to do so...I even decided not to put dreamcast on my list and instead use the PS2...I have thought this through..

I appreciate what you guys are saying.......

Comment

Working...
                              X