No announcement yet.

Blackadder V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my favourite series is BlackAdder 1. I bought the set on video cassette years ago and watched it loads of times. Its definitely an underappreciated classic with great characters. The mad king played by brian blessed is a particular fav. Would encourage any discerning BlackAdder fan to re visit the series.

Also like the way that in this first series, BlackAdder is utterly ruthless, but also thick as a plank. Whilst Baldrick is the more intelligent one

Comment

Blackadder 2 was odd in the sense it made weedy-looking actors like Mayall and Atkinson look quite tall and mannish simply by the addition of facial hair.

This is merely an observation and has no real relevance to this thread.

Comment

A sexy-ual awakening happening right there, folks!

Anyway, as much as I like the series (II is my fave, with III a close second) you should never go back. Especially as everyone is so old now.
        Last edited by gunrock; 26-08-2015, 06:49.

Comment

Just seen this, & think its an awesome idea but should have been done many yrs ago imo. Had heard a a whisper that they were gonna do a kind of royal family version once but a modern day political version would indeed be a good scenario, like The New Statesman.

I still love Blackadder, almost as much as Young Ones & Bottom, & they're still shows I watch to this day & take quotes from.

The only problem is as many have said - are the cast & writers just too out of puff? (wahey!). And I cant see Ade signing up. The comedy boat sailed a long time ago for him as we saw when he rejected another series of Bottom, which was gonna possibly be the best mews of my life when 1st announced. I think he's had a lot to deal with in the last few yrs which has made him think differently. His wife was recovering from cancer, & then Riks death last yr must have floored him. We don't know what's going on in his head regarding those incidents. He was always the more serious out the Rik n Ade.

No Flashheart in BA would be a huge shame too.
          RIP Rik. Still miss you everyday mate

Comment

I've been rewatching Bottom recently and it's pretty clear who the most gifted of the duo (by far) was...and sadly he's dead. Rik was an *AMAZING* comic actor, a physical cartoonist. It's weird because one of the reasons Edmondson cited for not doing more Bottom stuff that was Mayall was 'too slow' after the quad crash in 1998. But I went to see em live in 2001/2002 and they were non-stop manic energy onstage for like three hours or so! To go off on a tangent, there are a few conspiracy theories bubbling under about Mayall's death. They're probably BS but make for interesting reading.

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
            A sexy-ual awakening happening right there, folks!
            Oh god, I know!!!! Must be the ruffs...I must like a bit of ruff!!!!

Comment

Blackadder is possible my favourite series of all with 2 and 3 the best of them. I thought series 1 was alright and the Christmas Carol special was excellent. The millennium episode was poor, I'm not sure the same writers were involved and it had a lower age rating. Not surprised that many of the cast went on to bigger things.

If they were to bring this back I'd hope as much of the same team would still be involved particularly Elton and Curtis. I'm not sure why Rik Mayall and Ade Edumundson absence would be that big a deal. Mayall was only in 3 episodes over the course of the series, although the 2 flasheart episodes were great admittedly. I only recall Ade Edmundson being in one episode and quite briefly at that.

Comment

He was the red baron in goes forth, going up against flash!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  He was the red baron in goes forth, going up against flash!
                  Yeah I know but I think that was his only ever appearance which is why I don't understand why his absence would be significant.

Comment

It isn't imo, nor Rick Mayal. The core group was excellent and made each series what it was. Rick's character was great of course but it could still be great without them.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                      Are you kidding? His appearances in Blackadder are legendary
                      True but to me Rik Mayall is Rick from the Young Ones or Rich' from Bottom. Both pretty much the same character. He played them so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        To be honest I never really liked Rik Mayall in Black Adder. He seemed so out of place plus he wasn't in it that much anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love Rik Mayall in all of his shows and live performances but for some reason he never sat well in Black Adder with me.
                        That's why he's only in it a bit. He's Blackadder's Zap Brannigan; great in small doses but would become tiring in larger ones (hence one of the reasons Futurama got worse as it went along; too much Zap).

Personally I feel Blackadder used him just enough. Not too much.

Comment

The British tabloid The Sun reports that former “Blackadder” stars Rowan Atkinson, Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie have all agreed to a return for a new installment of the celebrated British comedy series classic. The paper says the quartet met together at the Soho House members club in London where a source tells […]

Given the source I'm very doubtful of this

Comment

Update #2 (Tuesday): Roberts has now officially died. Roberts’ partner Lance O’Brien tells TMZ one of her doctors at Cedars-Sinai Hospital on Monday evening called him and confirmed her passing. Update (Monday): Roberts’ death has been misreported. Click here for full details. Original (Sunday): Iconic 1980s actress/model Tanya Roberts has died reports TMZ who indicate […]

Atkinson says that whilst he's ready to end Mr Bean he's open to trying Blackadder again

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              https://www.darkhorizons.com/r-i-p-tanya-roberts/
                              Atkinson says that whilst he's ready to end Mr Bean he's open to trying Blackadder again
                              That would be fantastic. Imagine a proper sarcastic old git! He could really pull that off but the side cast would also be very important.

Comment

Think about Atkinson is...he still looks like he could pull it off. Bar a bit of grey in his hair, he basically looks the same!

Comment

Working...
                                X