(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    For some reason I've had a hankering to play Populous again recently, and specifically the Mega Drive version. Played through a few stages earlier and it's just a great wee game, has anyone made a modern equivalent of it or has it ever had a remake?
    The Master System version is better IMO

Comment

Surprised you didn’t opt for the PCE version!

Comment

I didn't pick up the PCE version until way after the MD one, so I find I tend to gravitate back to the one I played the most. Prefer the HuCard to that ugly EA cart though!

Comment

I enjoyed the megadrive one before all the fighting starts. But I liked the noise the knight made when fighting. It was fun lowering the ground with the computer people on it

Comment

The box art for the Amiga version is brilliant; I have a poster in my collection.

I remember seeing all the positive reviews for Populous, so I ordered a copy for £20 from some mail order company. As a kid, I didn't really know what to expect from the game, but it did look interesting and I trusted the reviews. It turned out to be a truly special game that felt groundbreaking and had me hooked for months and months. I like other Bullfrog games, but Populous is the one I have most nostalgia for.

Comment

I too remember when Bullfrog used to be a seal of quality.

Comment

Alot of Saturn stuff, modded my 60/50 region switch Saturn with a MODE from terraonion so i can finally play some of those expensive Saturn games i gave up on owning when the retro hobby go invaded a decade ago (thanks youtube). Ended up mostly playing Elevator Action Returns, Pandemonium, Bug!too, Sega Rally and Chase HQ collection. Worth every penny if you have a Saturn and so easily to setup on a SSD, which even the cheapest 500gb SSD will hold the saturn library if you dump all PC visual novel ports.

Couldn't get Xmen vs SF to work past the intro, not sure if it because i'm missing the ram cart (i have the ram cart from KoF96 but it doesn't seem to work) and Croc is alot harder and more awful than i remember.

Don't know if i'll put it into the Dreamcast when i get bored, think i'd have replace the PSU (even after cleaning the original one up to stop the reset problem) and HDMI mod which could run in to £300 gone with a another SSD (or 500 in total for another MODE)
                Last edited by Tobal; 19-08-2020, 07:35.

Comment

The KOF 96 cart is a 1mb cart I think, so yeah you will need a 4mb one to get X-men vs SF working.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                    The KOF 96 cart is a 1mb cart I think, so yeah you will need a 4mb one to get X-men vs SF working.
                    I thought the KoF ‘96 (or could be ‘95) is a ROM cart, not RAM cart, containing graphics/assets that can be quickly accessed. KoF ‘97 uses a normal 1mb RAM cart.

Comment

I'm pretty sure 95 is the ROM cart, but it's all so confusing ��

Comment

First foray into CDi land, with mixed results

Palm Springs Open Golf. This is a code of a golf game, looks and sounds the business for it's era, recall being wowed by it in Dixons, but plays like ass, you have to be very accurate, frustratingly so - but you don't even know where you are facing or how far from the pin you are.

Burn Cycle, this is everything you want a 90s cyber punk FMV adventure to be. Looks amazing, is confusing, OTT cheesy acting but with varied gameplay, it's excellent.

Kether, mixed bag so far of cgi flying sections a la laserdisc arecade games, puzzle games and terrible 3D maze bits. Superb 90s cgi with voice overs, acting etc but game is a bit lame in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                          Burn Cycle, this is everything you want a 90s cyber punk FMV adventure to be. Looks amazing, is confusing, OTT cheesy acting but with varied gameplay, it's excellent.
                          It's a CDi game that I enjoyed watching someone play. I think I would have quite liked it back in the day, so it's a shame they didn't put a version of it on the 3DO. The developer did a really good job making the most of the CDi.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-08-2020, 16:09.

Comment

Today been playing a famicom game called yume penguin monogatari a rather fun if a little short platformer, has really nice graphics and a fun game system where you have to avoid all food on a stage as it will make you fat and when you are a porky penguin it's harder to jump and you can't attack but as you slim down you get more powers. Dotted around the levels are diet pills that are dropped by a rival penguin the same rival that your whore penguin girlfriend runs off with because she hates fat penguins so you have to diet to supposedly win her back she then gives you a time limit to get to a certain point of the level if you don't get there in time and below the weight limit she dumps your ass. Quite frankly she's a bitch and not worth the effort you go through to win her fickle affections.

The trick is not only do you have to make it in time but you also have to be slim enough before you get there it's the same with the bosses as it's very easy to hit all the food bullets they fire and totally pork up. Falling into the water instantly bloats you right up, you would have thought penguins loved the water but not this one. Shame it's only 6 stages but it's great while it lasts, a fun afternoon on the famicom mini although i had to make it work with the nestopia core as the built in emulator had graphical problems.

Comment

I’ve been playing some Rushing Beat Ran on the Super Famicom (released in the West as Brawl Brothers). It’s a decent Beat em up, not in the same league as Final Fight, but definitely worth a play. It’s far superior to the first game in the series (Rushing Beat aka Rival Turf). My first go on it I ended walking through the bloody sewer maze for about 40 minutes. Looking forward to giving Rushing Beat Shura a go next.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                Today been playing a famicom game called yume penguin monogatari a rather fun if a little short platformer, has really nice graphics and a fun game system where you have to avoid all food on a stage as it will make you fat and when you are a porky penguin it's harder to jump and you can't attack but as you slim down you get more powers.
                                Yeah, another gem from Konami. Really nice design in all areas. I'll have a go the next time I set my NES up.

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                                I’ve been playing some Rushing Beat Ran on the Super Famicom (released in the West as Brawl Brothers). It’s a decent Beat em up, not in the same league as Final Fight, but definitely worth a play. It’s far superior to the first game in the series (Rushing Beat aka Rival Turf).
                                Yeah, the first Rushing Beat is dire. The sequel is really good in all areas, so fun to play through. I have the third game in the series and think it's a quality game. The second game was a go-to beat 'em up in the '90s when my best mate(he loves beat 'em ups) came round.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-08-2020, 01:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X