(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Still trying to figure out why the buttons aren't right on my Miyoo Mini after upgrading to Onion OS, but I tested it with Rolling Thunder and ended up getting really distracted. I love that game.
    What was up with them again? My boy’s birthday is the Tuesday after next so I’m going to be going through everything one more time at some point before then.

Comment

I’ve been playing Super Mario 3 on my Switch recently via Super Mario All-Stars in the NSO SNES collection.

I wanted something simple and interesting for my son to look at while I rocked him to sleep or whatever but I’ve been properly playing it. I’m nearly finishing world 4 now and it’s been a blast. I’ve been spamming save states during the bonus bits (matching the cards and re-learning how to get the star in the slot machine!).

I was thinking to play the first SMB after this but I think I’ll just move on to Super Mario World.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        What was up with them again? My boy’s birthday is the Tuesday after next so I’m going to be going through everything one more time at some point before then.
        Basically, I went into the config settings for RetroArch and set everything up as it should be.
        Then opened Rolling Thunder and the jump button is fine, but the shoot button appears to be set to L2 on the back of the unit.
        Went into the config settings for that specific game and changed them there.

Now, A Button is set as "Button 2" (jump, presumably) and B Button is set as "Button 1" (shoot), but it definitely doesn't shoot.
        I change the X button to shoot, so all the buttons are mapped to face ones, but I don't understand why B doesn't work when I think I've mapped it right and it even says it within the game.

Comment

Propper 9/11 vibes on this one as you bomb the new York skyline trying not to crash into the skyscrapers (genuinley), it even says ground zero in the title *dons tin foil hat*

Last edited by Baseley09; 16-08-2022, 06:52.

Comment

I love that you are still rocking a Speccy, and still using tapes no less!

Comment

Mrs Wools kindly treated me to a PlayStation Classic for getting a new job so had a lot of fun playing the PAL games installed on the system but wanted to mod it to get NTSC examples running.

My Brother had already modded his so he gave me a hand at the weekend to mod it and luckily was painless and got it running first time! I copied over all my ROM's from my PC and they run really nice on the system and I don't care what anyone says, having games running on the big TV when you're on the sofa is such a diffrent vibe than being on my PC. Out of the classics like Resi 2, Tomb Raider etc, I was most supprised by Tony Hawks 2. I've always liked the game but it's been a long time since I picked it up.

It's still really great. Small little play areas that encourage Arcade style play, a great control system, brilliant music that takes me back to the 90's and it stands up so much better than what I had in my head.
              Last edited by Wools; 16-08-2022, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Basically, I went into the config settings for RetroArch and set everything up as it should be.
                Then opened Rolling Thunder and the jump button is fine, but the shoot button appears to be set to L2 on the back of the unit.
                Went into the config settings for that specific game and changed them there.

Now, A Button is set as "Button 2" (jump, presumably) and B Button is set as "Button 1" (shoot), but it definitely doesn't shoot.
                I change the X button to shoot, so all the buttons are mapped to face ones, but I don't understand why B doesn't work when I think I've mapped it right and it even says it within the game.
                The only alarming bit about that report is that you went in and changed the settings for RetroArch in an attempt to cover set up, when Onion OS should have everything set up as a default.

Which version of Rolling Thunder is it? I'll take a look tomorrow night. I'm going to wipe everything and start afresh as his birthday is on the 23rd! Unfortunately, there's no chance of the fancy custom buttons I've ordered getting here before then.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  The only alarming bit about that report is that you went in and changed the settings for RetroArch in an attempt to cover set up, when Onion OS should have everything set up as a default.

Which version of Rolling Thunder is it? I'll take a look tomorrow night. I'm going to wipe everything and start afresh as his birthday is on the 23rd!
                  It wasn't working right before or after changing the RA settings, so that's not what has caused this issue.

Don't start from scratch on my behalf!
                  It's just the stock RT ROM that came with it.
                  Just tried with Aliens arcade too and that's the same - button 2 is L2 as default, so it's deffo RA that's the issue, rather than Rolling Thunder.

Same for GB Turtles, button A and L2 and Mega Drive SoR - L1 special, L2 attack, A jump.

I used this Reddit thread for guidance, but I think you're right in that it's Retro Arch forcing the wrong buttons, so I should be able to fix it.

Comment

I have been playing a little Outrun 2019 today. I know this game doesn't have the best rep but it's one I always really liked when I was a kid. The gameplay, with the turbo, the ramps, and the diverging paths on-screen, is fun, and the designs of the different stages have always fired my imagination. The music is good too.

Still feels good to me to play today. It's easier than Outrun, which I appreciate personally (and appreciated even more so as a kid). I'm actually playing the ROM of the Japanese prototype, which has the original name of Junker's High, which I prefer. It's always felt more like its own thing than an Outrun, to me at least, and Junker's High is just a straight-up cool name, dripping with early 90s Japanese cyberpunk vibes.

Plus, the Junker's High version preserves the save function, which was sadly cut from the final game (almost certainly to save money I would think).

Here's the promotional flyer, which I'm posting simply because it is cool:

Comment

That's dead cool agree seems more appealing as a non Outrun title. Love that flyer.

Comment

OutRun 2019 is a good game, SIMS knocked it up using a modified version of the engine they'd used for the MD OutRun to add things like crossroads and jumps. Though I suspect the last-minute license probably helped shift more copies, I reckon if it had kept the original name it would have more of a cult following now.

If I remember right, Yakumo got that Junkers High ROM knocked up onto a Chinese clone board and made a pretend release of the game with boxart and everything. I think? I can't remember now. Did he or didn't he? I think he did. It would be a strange thing for me to wholly imagine.

Comment

I agree that I think the Outrun 2019 name detracts from its rep.

That physical version sounds really cool - [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] is this true?! Can we see it?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I agree that I think the Outrun 2019 name detracts from its rep.

That physical version sounds really cool - @<u><a href="https://bordersdown.net/member.php?u=1524" target="_blank">Yakumo</a></u> is this true?! Can we see it?
                            Sure, here you go. The cart and box design were done by me but the PCB was made by some company on Aliexpress.

Comment

That's awesome great work. Where did the background artwork for the box come from, out of interest?

Comment

I think I was doing a blade runner or Syd cyber punk search on Google and found it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X