No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, Super Spy, that’s a cart that never makes it into my AES anymore, it’s an absolute grind to get through.

Comment

Got my brother visiting, and he’s spent five hours yesterday playing random games on my MiSTer.

Comment

Played a little Sabre Wulf this week - think i'm about 40 years out of practice! Still trying to get used to playing it on a converted Megadrive pad (basically the internal IC was bypassed).
        Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 27-03-2023, 20:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Today I finally started a replay of Skies Of Arcadia on Dreamcast (Via Mac emulation) and it's all coming flooding back to me. The controls probably feel a lot more of a faff now than they did back on release, but I think I'm going to really enjoy going through this again. This was the first sort of modern RPG that I genuinely loved, and I don't think I've liked another as much since, but to be fair I've not really tried. This may be a gateway in to a new liking for this type of game, as long as I can find something else as charming and light hearted!
          How is Dreamcast emulation on the mac?

Comment

Been playing a bit of Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. Not really played it since it was originally released (mainly because of the project gotham games) but it holds up pretty well and I really miss these type of real street racing games, Forza horizon is amazing but theres just something about racing along in real world cities that is unique and there hasn’t really been anything close to this since PGR4

Comment

For the most part, DC games run great on my Mac. I only have about a dozen or so titles downloaded and they mainly run perfectly, but Skies and Virtua Tennis can be a bit glitchy visually though it doesn't bother me much.

Comment

Pangya Golf (PSP). Used to play this online whey back in the early / mid 2000s I guess on my Pentium III PC, was eyeing the Wii versions but the system's a hassle so PSP version it is, I'm addicted. Just a simple and fun game of golf.
                Last edited by Baseley09; 30-03-2023, 23:03.

Comment

My N64 NSO pad turned up, so I've been dipping into some 64 action. I'm using MupenPlus-Next on my computer rather than NSO, though.

Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings, so far. Beautifully playable pick up and play games. Wave Race in particular has genuinely timeless gameplay.

I did also give Goldeneye a quick burst last night, playing through the first level and...yeesh. Loved it back in the day but not sure I've got the stomach for it now. It feels terribly clunky, which isn't a reflection on the game itself's quality but rather the quantum leaps that that genre has made on console since the late 90s.

Comment

Actually sat down and played the first hour or so of Parasite Eve. As far as openings go it's a pretty bold one, but probably the most remarkable thing is how soon it just hands things over to you and lets you work things out. It's kind of refreshing, in a clunky way. Let's see how quickly I get back to it and whether I stick it out for the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Pangya Golf (PSP). Used to play this online whey back in the early / mid 2000s I guess on my Pentium III PC, was eyeing the Wii versions but the system's a hassle so PSP version it is, I'm addicted. Just a simple and fun game of golf.
                      I have the Wii version and it’s a solid little golf game, there is a sequel too but confusingly called something different. Think it was Super Swing Golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        I have the Wii version and it’s a solid little golf game, there is a sequel too but confusingly called something different. Think it was Super Swing Golf.
                        Yeah I read there was some faff with the naming conventions in different regions, still intend the check the Wii versions out.

Comment

I tried but I'm never going to get on with the racing element in Kingdom Grand Prix, it's just not fun and annoying playing a shooter in the top 3rd of the screen. Fortunately the Saturn version has the option to turn off the racing and finally its come alive for me, great stages, character artwork and the odd superb music track.

Comment

Making my way through the Underdark in Baldur's Gate II. Managed to get through the Beholders and now working my way through the Mind Flayers. I'm hoping to get through the main game and Throne of Bhaal before Baldur's Gate III officially releases later this year.

Comment

Metroid Zero Mission for me. I love how immediate it is. Within around ten minutes you’re getting tooled up.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                Metroid Zero Mission for me. I love how immediate it is. Within around ten minutes you’re getting tooled up.
                                I really want to play Zero Mission again but cba to set up emulation for it and definitely won't be paying over the odds for a copy of it on resale.

Guess I'm waiting for it to appear on the NSO GBA Loader, then. (*shrugs*)

Comment

Working...
                                X