No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays PC-Engine choices have been Override, Red Alert (don’t judge!) and the real time sponge, Populous. Man, you forget how good a game it is when you don’t play it for a while, love it. Due to what some of you guys have been playing above I also had a few frames on Break In pool. Yeah, I’m that instance modern mobile pool games render the retro stuff obsolete!

Comment

Today has been all about GG Aleste 3 on the Analogue Pocket! Cracking little game finally playable on a real GG or other suitable handhelds. Does it push the humble GG a little too hard with a fair bit of slowdown? Probably. But it plays well and looks great. While the soundtrack is reminiscent of the older Aleste games I think they could have done better with it.

Comment

I've been playing Crimewave on the Saturn with the missus in the barely-advertised 2 player mode. Weirdly in a game so full of slowdown, the split screen doesn't make it any worse and it's actually a great time. It integrates with the game really well, you can just drop in and out as you feel like and it just goes back to 1-player when somebody dies.

The game has a cheat for tate/vertical mode, which is a bit odd but works perfectly fine. I was surprised to see that - despite being just a cheat code - it still works perfectly fine with multiplayer and the screen split. Might have to hook it up on a screen facing that way and see if it's any easier that way!

Now just need to find another 8 people and we can get Saturn Bomberman on.

Comment

Really need to get this on to my Mac emulator and try it out, love the look of it.

Comment

Been back on Battle Garegga. When I've got this loaded up on my V-Saturn mk2, pumped through the stereo, scanlines popping on a b&o CRT I feel like I've found the meaning of existence.
            Last edited by Baseley09; 01-08-2023, 23:14.

Comment

As I mentioned earlier after doing Xbox Doom 3 ROE I was thinking about and now have gone on to do Doom 3.

Decided to ramp it up to Hard difficulty as ROE was a bit too easy on Normal even with manual reloading and (of course) aim assist off.

Nice; suits my taste well although it can get a bit frustrating. They love spawning things behind you much more than ROE, those annoying spider things in particular. But working out a solution to those sorts of problems is a significant part of the enjoyment of the increased difficult setting.

Comment

I have been playing random PS1 games on my MiSTer. From my experiences, I found the only controller to work with the core to be an original type PlayStation controller via an old, Play.com branded(?!) USB adapter I had lying around. Never had my own PS1, played on my friend's systems, so this is a new experience. My first games played were Ridge Racer and Parodius Deluxe Pack, for that launch window experience. Probably going to try some of the Big Obvious Classics, excluding Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid (played both, but never liked either).

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                  As I mentioned earlier after doing Xbox Doom 3 ROE I was thinking about and now have gone on to do Doom 3.

Decided to ramp it up to Hard difficulty as ROE was a bit too easy on Normal even with manual reloading and (of course) aim assist off.

Nice; suits my taste well although it can get a bit frustrating. They love spawning things behind you much more than ROE, those annoying spider things in particular. But working out a solution to those sorts of problems is a significant part of the enjoyment of the increased difficult setting.
                  Ive also been playing D3 on and off, still fairly early in the game. I started on OG Xbox but then switched to BFG on 360, ehich hasbeen criticised as being dumbed down and easy, but personally preferred the easier pace. Now wish I’d realised there was a remaster for Xbox One as I’m playing on Series X, but the frame rate is reasonable.

Comment

Todays PC Engine playlist has been mainly Hellfire S, Zero Wing and Forgotten Worlds. Really love the soundtracks on the first two, but failed to finish either today. Romped through Forgotten Worlds fairly easily, much simpler than I ever felt I did on the MD version back in the day. I don't know why, but even though I owned the PCE version several times years ago, I always mainly defaulted to playing it on the MD. Really enjoyed the play through today though, classic arcade action from my youth!

Comment

Thanks to finally being able to use my Dual Shocks with my MiSTer I've been putting some time into Ridge Racer Type 4 this past couple of weeks but now the monotony is setting in. The conditions for unlocking all the cars (which are in fact mostly just livery swaps) are ridiculous. I'm going to need a spreadsheet to keep track of it all. Or not, because I'm simply not going to do it. I've done near 40 GPs and I can't push myself to continue unless someone's going to dump a huge Tony Montana-sized mountain of coke on my desk.

I'm glad I Googled what I was potentially missing (nothing) before trying to 100% this the old-fashioned way.

I'll probably just stick to time trials when I want to revisit - which will likely be a lot as it plays the best out of the PSOne era I'm finding, it's just that the single-player garage progression is beyond archaic. It's a huge shame because everything else is near perfect.

Comment

Dipped into Batsugun now and again on mame over the years and not thought much of it, now the Saturn version is in my lap I'm in love, feels like the greatest hits of shooters, superb gfx and music - one of the main reasons I still feel attached the buying games rather than emulating I could never connect with this game until now. Sitting here blasting on tate mode, steam coming out of the saturn with the gnarly action going on, gaming doesn't get any better imo.

Last edited by Baseley09; 18-08-2023, 14:55.

Comment

Still on original Xbox Doom 3 about a third to go I think; the level design which is more than a bit linear to begin with seems to improve as the game progresses.

There have been some good tactical shooting puzzle areas where, on Hard, you have to have a plan or you get splatted very quickly. There was also a nice elevator puzzle in one area and another unexpected platforming task I particularly enjoyed as, apart from the shooting puzzles, its not that cerebral most of the time.

Enjoyable game.

Comment

No wallet busting but picked up Saturn Capcom Generation 3, must be the most snuffed at of the bunch but Vulgus is cool and Exed Eyes well worth the cheap cost of admission alone, both offer tate mode.

Comment

They were talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the radio the other night, so this inspired to give the Original Xbox game a spin, which I had heard was rather good. I (naively as it turned out) started a game on the Normal difficulty. Initially it seemed pretty cool, the combat has a nice kick to it (pardon the pun). You can do combos and if you get this right there's a satisfying purple shine that appears and you can send enemies flying.

Everything was going fine until I got to one of the first boss battles with Spike. Suddenly the combat seemed near impossible. I just kept getting pummled and sometimes I would be unable to get in a single punch or kick before I was slain. The combat is all the more frustrating because Buffy drops her wooden stakes every time she's attacked, and this weapon is the only way to fully despatch vampires! EDIT: oh, and Buffy takes like 2 secs to switch between weapons, during which time she’s vulnerable to attacks.

The combat frustration is compounded by severely uncompromising checkpoints. You can be playing for up to 15 minutes, suddenly get overwhelmed (especially when you are being continually firebombed by distant enemies), die and then find that you've got to repeat a much longer section than perhaps you had realized. This seriously wound me up before bed last night (it feels appropriate to play this in the dark).

I did eventually manage to perfect this section. It appears that the best time to attack enemies is the split second before they begin an attack animation. It still took like an hour and a half of retries though and seriously outstayed its welcome. Luckily I have found a completed save game to download which is on Easy mode, so this should make things a little more manageable.

On another note, I started Manhunt the other evening. I've been wanting to play this for a while, but felt it was important to do so using a headset, so I could hear the director's commentary (Brian Cox) in my ear and call out to attract enemies on the microphone. For some reason, the headset function doesn't work on Series X. I therefore needed to obtain a 2.5mm headset as I seem to have disposed of the one for my Xbox (but not the adapter that goes into the controller). I finally got my hands on a second hand 360 headset. The only hiccup here was that this headset doesn't actually fit the tiny hole used by the original Xbox communicator. I had to unscrew the communicator adaptor to plug it in.

This doesn't hold up as well as I remembered, largely due to the single-stick controls, which make it hard to see behind you and around corners. I think I might have made another mistake with the difficulty selection as I went with the hardest one. I think this may have turned off the radar in the bottom corner. This means the only way I have of knowing where enemies are is by line of sight, which is more difficult because of the antiquated controls.
                              Last edited by egparadigm; 27-08-2023, 15:10.

Comment

After getting tired of Ridge Racer Type 4's pointless and utterly monotonous grind I decided to return to Ridge Racer Revolution for the first time since the game launched. This is more like it! Almost. More than one other car on the screen at one time, a decent progression, and just the right amount of unlockables. I don't care if there's really only one track with a distinct lack of analog controls.

Although, it does seem to be a lot easier than it was when I first played it - most likely due to playing all of the more recent entries to near 100% completion. The game clock on the memory card save/load says two hours played, and I've just unlocked the 13th Racing (Devil car). Once I get to grips with the handling again it won't be long at all until the Angel car is unlocked, which is where I'd say the game is completed, besides time trials of course.

I'm still hungry for more Ridge, so I'll probably give Rage Racer another try after I'm done with the Angel car. I'm completely out of space on the MiSTer though, so I need to order a 512GB SD before I can think about putting more games on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X