No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep wanting to build a PC arcade, but every time I do, I go around in circles, so I just fired up the XBox to play a few arcade games.
    It was on S.A.R., so I started on that - I really like this game, proper tense gaming and a brilliant score. Any other fans on here? I never really hear anyone talking about it.

I was around "S" on the title list, so also played Sengoku 3, Sexy Parodius, Shadow Dancer and Spider-Man: The Arcade.
    Maybe it was Asura talking about the Marvel Capcom games, but this scratched an itch.

It's a weird title because it's part side-scrolling beat 'em up and part platformer.
    There's a bit early on where you reach a truck and start battling Scorpion, then the side of the truck drops, revealing a muscly guy in glass chamber.
    Then black goo oozes over him and he jumps out - it's Venom!
    After beating him up, he grows MASSIVE, then the camera pans out and it becomes a platformer.

Honestly, it's not the best at either genre, but there's no denying the artwork and character roster.

There are some lovely graphical touches like speech bubbles, splitscreen cutscenes like a comic, the bad guys fedoras getting punched off and the sprite scaling.

There's a lovely section where you're chasing Venom up a skyscraper and you finish by jumping onto a blimp.
    As you work your way through the blimp, in massive writing, it says "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" and Kingpin is the boss.
    You escape the exploding blimp and land on a flying platform where a one-armed scientist turns into The Lizard, then the Green Goblin attacks.
    As you battle, you see the BIG BROTHER blimp crashing down.

Just lovely little graphical touches that made it feel BIG in the arcade.

Comment

Perfect Dark PDHP (High performance) hack, using the new overclocked MiSTer core.

60FPS.
      Pin-sharp visuals, thanks to toggling all the aliasing off at the system level, coupled with peerless video out to a PVM.
      Steel bowl controllers.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Well, it does, there's also the PC source port with uncapped frame rates and resolution, but I need a controller adapter for that.

Comment

I really need to try this N64 turbo core. Super smooth Sin and Punishment sounds like a real treat.

Comment

Working...
        X