(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    Introduced the bairns to some MD goodness. Tatsujin and Micro Machines. We had a great laugh with Micro Machines despite it probably looking like cave paintings to their young eyes!
    I kept going on about R.C. Pro-AM to the boy... when he saw it running I think he must have thought I was taking the piss from the look on his face. Still I think it’s awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      despite it probably looking like cave paintings to their young eyes!
      I think any young person brought up with 3D games and CG movies should still appreciate 2D art. I see no reason why something like Mario World or Sonic the Hedgehog would be seen as 'archaic' to young eyes. And anyway, there have been plenty of 2D cartoons over the past 20 years that kids have enjoyed. The idea that kids can only appreciate 3D stuff is probably very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
        Ah, so even back in the day you disliked it?
        Were you a turtles fan?

Part of the pull for me was being big into turtles.

Interesting you say Shredder is unfair, I was actually thinking about a thread titled hard games was easy last bosses.

Shredder is ridiculously easy to beat as long as you have Donatello or a sub weapon. You can literally stand on the lower platform on the right and throw your sub weapon or Bo and he can’t get near you.

If it makes you feel any better (probably not) Shredder takes half your health if he touches you, so in the fight the most you can take is 1 touch before it’s death anyway.
        Yeah back in the day i loved turtles hence me asking for the turtles pack for xmas, lol big mistake. Considering how A grade Konami usually was back then it's surprising just how this turd of a game slapped out their asses. The famicom era however was filled with terrible games, some just badly made and some victim to the technology of the time but saying that there are some truly amazing games too (turtles not one of them though lol)

Well i'm thoroughly enjoying my birthday week off i have put in an obscene amount of time into the gamecube sadly my newly acquired minty orange cube must have taken a whack during shipping as the drive stopped reading disks i cleaned it as i thought it might have been dust but nope. Thankfully years ago i bought a spare working cube for parts in case the day arrived when i might need one for parts. About 20 mins later i had the drives swapped out. Thanks to nintendo for making those things super modular still need to desolder the battery though as it's screwed up my cube is not keeping time at all.

Already finished the first biohazard game which because i haven't played it in such a long time i forgot a lot of what to do like not to run with that damn shock sensitive cylinder in the last half of the game, forgot and it scared the bejeesus out of me when i just randomly exploded lolol even in 2019 the biohazard remake looks impressive the lighting and sound are still amazingly good. Have to admit though some games look a little roapy through the framemeister as although they are perfectly sharp and scanlined the some of textures in some games are a little blurry in quality as i don;t think they used high quality ones it reminds me of N64 in that respect but that's how they were made i'm getting used to it the more i play, some of the games look stunning though even now. Currently trying to get through biohazard 2 now i have forgotten a lot of what i used to know but thankfully my saves all are intact so the extra weapons and secrets unlocked are helping me out.

I did want to visit my town in animal forest, it's been about 15+ years since i was last there a lot of my villagers have moved out. And i had a lot of letters to catch up with along with a weed explosion, with the clock on my cube not set right Resetti was super pissed off at me lol. Thankfully my saves are still intact and my house is as i left it 15 years ago all my famicom games are still there. The one feature i hated that Nintendo removed from all other versions after the cube ones it was a hell of a lot of fun to try and get them all it made the events they appeared in super special as well as randomly coming across some of the games. Spent a lot of time in my little town enjoying the real life festivals, i have done halloween, new years, xmas all inside the game was kind of fun sharing my time in there too. It was nice to walk around and see whats changed, but untill i get the clock fixed i won't be putting too much time in as i don't want to have to apologise in japanese to Resetti every time i boot the game up lol. Ghetto screenshots like i used to do back in the day hehe.

Resetti, yeah he pissed

My treasured full set of Fami games, some of these were HARD to get but worth the fun of tracking them down.

Even through the framemeister the emulated famciom games are a weird colour and blurry. Still it's neat to have them, a game within a game is something that pushes my buttons.
        Last edited by importaku; 13-08-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Was playing TMNT this morning, given all the talk of it. Honest to god, I think it's amazing. I'm finding it much easier than I did way back when. Clocked the dam no problems, with like 25 seconds left on the clock, made it through the 2nd city, through the air base to get the blimp, and just reached the cave system.

Running on actual hardware, not emulators.

I like the overworld segments. Makes it feel a bit like a light Action-RPG. Also the colour schemes for backgrounds is quite good. The airfield's yellow and greens, and the caves reddy brown and purples.

Much easier than Kid Icarus. The way you can lose turtles and then rescue them again is cool.

Comment

Yeah lets see how you do by the end.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Yeah lets see how you do by the end.
              Clocked it!

Bloody hell, last time I did this was in 2001, and this is the first time on actual hardware. Admittedly, I had to continue twice once inside the technodrome, since the purple guys kept wiping me out, so then I cheated and watched a walkthrough on my mobile phone so I'd know how to get past.

Shredder was ridiculously easy. Donatello has massive range and his staff stunlocks Shredder and also knocks him back, making it possible to knock him around the screen, or even keep him on the upper central platform like a gold ball. After seeing how to do it on YT, managed to beat him first time without getting hit.

In conclusion, I very much enjoyed it. The visuals, colour use, and music are all ace, though the game suffers from serious sprite flicker and chugs when there's loads on screen. Controls were tight, apart from terrible platform sections, requiring you to navigate into a small space, or bounce off the ceiling.

The overhead sections also started to remind me of Metal Gear a bit. And I liked having the van. Pity there's no blimp mini-game which plays like Gradius after you get the blimp. The game has variety in spades, mixing things up nicely. It's a bit Metal Gear, a bit Zelda, a bit Metroid, a bit Ninja Gaiden. Also searching for captured turtles to get an "extra life" was fun. I like the fact your recovered turtle has full energy.

I enjoyed it more now than when I was a kid. Kid Icarus licks bins in comparison.
              Last edited by Sketcz; 14-08-2019, 09:38.

Comment

Today been playing Pikmin 2 as i haven't played it in a long time i forgot a lot of stuff but quickly got back upto speed treasure hunting & building up your stocks of pikmin is addictive as ever. Only unlocked the first 3 areas so far but i'm still clearing the dungeons in each area i'm a bit rusty in moving my team about quickly so the bosses are scoffing their way through my team which is horrible as i feel guilty when they die, got the ereader cards out to play some of the puzzle game i took a break from the main game and turned off the cube and sat in bed just completing puzzle levels its a whole game in itself just doing these little challenges. It's a shame so few people got to experience the gba pikmin games.

Comment

Played through all of Rescue Shot and Ghoul Panic.

Rescue Shot is a little slow, more a game for younger children than anything but it was enjoyable enough and had some good music.

Ghoul Panic has more replay value and was done by Raizing which I wasn't aware of before I booted it up.

Comment

Hey guys, haven't been here in a while!

Remembering the satisfaction I felt some years ago upon finally clearing Thunder Force 2, I've been firing up the third installment to continue my campaign against the ORN empire.

Sorry for the absolutely abysmal images from my phone.. it's partly the phone's fault, partly the lighting and partly the gin. The NES pad crept into the shot as it was happened to be lying nearby waiting to be turned into an adaptor for the stick so I can have a proper crack at Salamander next

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

Ghoul Panic has more replay value and was done by Raizing which I wasn't aware of before I booted it up.
                      I didn't know that, so I'll definitely give it a go.

Originally posted by Limitless View Post
                      so I can have a proper crack at Salamander next
                      Salamander is such a great game. Also love the poster art.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Played through all of Rescue Shot and Ghoul Panic.

Rescue Shot is a little slow, more a game for younger children than anything but it was enjoyable enough and had some good music.

Did not know Ghoul Panic was Raizing. Def want to give that a try at some point. Here’s hoping the Sinden Lightgun turns out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I didn't know that, so I'll definitely give it a go.
                          Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Did not know Ghoul Panic was Raizing. Def want to give that a try at some point. Here’s hoping the Sinden Lightgun turns out well.
                          It's a fun little shooter, definitely worth playing. Ditto on the Sinden Lightgun, I really hope it makes it to market.

Comment

Finally in my life been getting some enjoyment out of Top Players Golf, it's not horrible just there are quite a few better 16bit golf games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              Salamander is such a great game. Also love the poster art.
                              Definitely one of my all time favourite pieces of game artwork. I especially love the transparent Famicom cart!

Comment

Went over to Arcade Club in Leeds last night.

It's much more 'open' than Bury, in a busy area surrounded by shops with big open windows so you can see inside. For those who haven't been to Bury, it's hidden away on the upper-floors of old warehouse that's accessed down a narrow bumpy road (although I quite like that!).

As with Bury, it's loosely split between a floor of modern games and a floor of retro.

Most of the modern games I've played in Bury, but I had a few goes of the new Daytona and Mach Storm (which has a massive wrap around projector screen).

For retro, there are a number of things they don't have in Bury such as Scud Race, Ghouls n Ghosts, Radiant Silvergun, Road Blasters, Manx TT, but there are also plenty of games in Bury that aren't at Leeds. Talking of RSG, it's among a row of shmups hidden away in the VR room on the second floor that could be easily missed if you don't know it's there! (Ketsui, DDP DOJ, Espgaluda, Progear and Sexy Parodius are also in there).

Lots of the moving Sega cabs like Space Harrier, Afterburner, Enduro Racer and that Power Drift that almost tips you out on every bend!

They have a really nice Bubble Bobble cab with which I got my best every one credit high score on real hardware!

Leeds doesn't really have much in the way of Pinball, so Bury is definitely the best option if that's what you're after.

Not much to choose between them, Leeds might be slightly better for modern games and moving cabs (they just have a bit more space!), Bury is probably better for retro and pinball (although Leeds still does have a massive selection of retro games).

Overall, they're both pretty amazing!
                                Last edited by ZipZap; 23-08-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X