(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    Still on chapter 2 of Baldur's Gate II. Imoen is still trapped in a dungeon somewhere while I get sidetracked by the mountain of sidequests.

I tried taking on a dragon and an adamantium golem but I just don't have the firepower to take either of them down right now. I'll be back for them though, it's not over yet.
    The Baldur's Gate games were great, I preferred the first one, but must have sunk 100s of hours into both. I recommend Ice Wind Dale afterwards, as I loved the setting for it.

Picked up the PAL PSP release of Phantom Brave on PSN the other week, there are still some great games on the service buried into some of the far corners of the site. Worth having a browse as quite a few are download only. Great tactic RPG and one I need to spend more time with, love the OST too.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      The Baldur's Gate games were great, I preferred the first one, but must have sunk 100s of hours into both. I recommend Ice Wind Dale afterwards, as I loved the setting for it.
      I've played them all before but it's been a long time now. It's like falling in love all over again

Comment

Doing one of my regular old Tomb Raider replays: TR1 using DOS Box. Minimum damage to make it more challenging. Done it before and so this time intended to use just the standard twin pistols but got stuck getting past 3 wolves unscathed so resorted to shotgun - still tricky.

Comment

Manic Miner is ****ing hard. I'm going to set up a pad and give it another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            Manic Miner is ****ing hard. I'm going to set up a pad and give it another shot.
            The level design is total genius, so many ways to collect the items, and it draws you to the wrong ones,

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              The level design is total genius, so many ways to collect the items, and it draws you to the wrong ones,
              I'm quickly finding that out. Not got too far into it yet and spent more time than I'd like trying to get my control pad working.

It's got an addictiveness to it though, its satisfying waltzing through a level once you figure it out.

Comment

UN Squadron (Arcade) - Brilliant game! 1CC done

UN Squadron (SNES) - I'm not sure why everyone I've spoken to thinks this is better than the arcade original!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                  I'm not sure why everyone I've spoken to thinks this is better than the arcade original!
                  More weapons -- and you can purchase different planes. The map screen where you can choose missions is also different. So it's a remixed game with some new content.

Comment

I think I preferred the streamlined quick fix nature of the arcade version

I might give the SNES version another go.

Comment

Started the PS2 Classics versions of God Hand and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence on the PS3 after finishing Resident Evil 4 on the PS4 (still counts as retro, right!?). God Hand is so addictive

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        I think I preferred the streamlined quick fix nature of the arcade version
                        I can appreciate why someone might prefer the more straightforward coin-op version, but lots of people really like what Capcom did with the SNES version. It can definitely make the game feel more intense at times. And you can't argue with extra weapons and being able to buy different planes.

Maybe you should play 'Carrier Airwing' next, which is a decent sequel. But I definitely prefer Area 88/UN Squadron.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Maybe you should play 'Carrier Airwing' next, which is a decent sequel. But I definitely prefer Area 88/UN Squadron.
                          Next on the list seems to have a depleting fuel system.

Comment

Just do it properly and play Harrier Attack on the speccy

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Just do it properly and play Harrier Attack on the speccy
                              Loved that on my Amstrad. Came with the computer, so I played it a lot for a month or so. Brings back memories of really enjoying Oh Mummy, Roland on the Ropes etc... Now I feel like buying an Amstrad.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                Loved that on my Amstrad. Came with the computer, so I played it a lot for a month or so. Brings back memories of really enjoying Oh Mummy, Roland on the Ropes etc... Now I feel like buying an Amstrad.
                                Roland in Time!

Comment

Working...
                                X