No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main memories of playing Super Monkey Ball was playing it with mates and winding one up by singing our own theme song every time he had his go:
    "Super... Moooooonkey Baaaaaall"

Comment

I played quite a bit of WarioWare Twisted at the weekend. It's a really, really good WarioWare. I guess this is effectively 'WarioWare 2', since it's the first proper follow-on from the first game (it was preceded by the GameCube one, but that was more of a multiplayer adaptation really).

I had thought it might feel like I'd already played it since many of the minigames appear in Gold on 3DS, but it doesn't at all. It's an absolutely corking entry. Up there with the very best of what's been a bit of a patchy series over the years.

I'm playing it on my phone, funnily enough, using an emulator, since I don't have an original cart. Works great with the phone's built-in gyro. You only occasionally need to use a button, and only ever the A button, so playing on a touchscreen doesn't hurt it at all (at least so far).

Comment

A good hour plus on Sin & Punishment 2 on Saturday night, then followed by roughly the same amount of time progressing on Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I think the Galaxy games are better than Odyssey. There's something about the control. Visually I'm always in awe at just how lush everything on Galaxy 2 is. Like all the grass, rock, and gemstone textures, and the tactility of all the little water streams that you can splish-splash through. When played on a CRT with SCART the video quality goes up to being 9.5/10, compared to being a 4/10 (at best) when using component going to a flat panel. I'd love to find out how a TINK4K can help the Wii upscale.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          My main memories of playing Super Monkey Ball was playing it with mates and winding one up by singing our own theme song every time he had his go:
          "Super... Moooooonkey Baaaaaall"
          The minigames are rather good, had quite a but of fun with racing and fighting. Shame I don’t have 3 others to play with!

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            A good hour plus on Sin & Punishment 2 on Saturday night, then followed by roughly the same amount of time progressing on Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I think the Galaxy games are better than Odyssey. There's something about the control. Visually I'm always in awe at just how lush everything on Galaxy 2 is. Like all the grass, rock, and gemstone textures, and the tactility of all the little water streams that you can splish-splash through. When played on a CRT with SCART the video quality goes up to being 9.5/10, compared to being a 4/10 (at best) when using component going to a flat panel. I'd love to find out how a TINK4K can help the Wii upscale.
            I almost bought an RGB scart cable the other day for my Wii (for Monkey Ball). Then I remembered RGB isn’t supported on/in NTSC consoles/games.

Luckily I have a Saurian-modded RGB cable for my gamecube at least. I remember my reluctance to spend £50 on it at the time, bit I guess I get my money’s worth all these years later!

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post

I almost bought an RGB scart cable the other day for my Wii (for Monkey Ball). Then I remembered RGB isn’t supported on/in NTSC consoles/games.

Luckily I have a Saurian-modded RGB cable for my gamecube at least. I remember my reluctance to spend £50 on it at the time, bit I guess I get my money’s worth all these years later!
              Yeah, you need a soft modded console with a loader of some kind that lets you configure the video mode for each game. My Wii only displays red until I’m in-game. 😅

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Yeah, you need a soft modded console with a loader of some kind that lets you configure the video mode for each game. My Wii only displays red until I’m in-game. 😅
                I do have mine soft modded but haven’t updated in years. Is there a way now that you can run NTSC Wii and Gamecube games in RGB through scart?

Comment

Working...
                X