No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing a round of Hot Shots Golf and I'm terrible at it.

Fun though, I always enjoy golf games despite finding real golf boring.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      After a certain point, the word 'retro' is just a term of convenience to avoid clumsy phrases like non-current-gen. I don't think anyone actually considers something like Resi 5 or Battlefield 4 actually retro, in the way that lava lamps or cassette Walkmans are.
      I think it's more convenient to just say lots of gaming stuff is simply 'old', rather than ending up with the PS4 and a game like Death Stranding being labelled 'retro gaming'.

I'm not really bothered about what the early era of gaming is labelled, but I do know that it was a distinct era that has little in common with modern era gaming. I think people of all ages could recognise and appreciate that clear fact.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2020, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I think anything standard definition 240p/480i can be used with the catch all term of retro.
        So are 480i PS2 games retro whereas those that support 480p are not?

Comment

Clever clogs.

So few are that I might even go along with that.

Comment

Way I look at it is that console designed primarily for CRTs should be considered retro as thats a technology that is now obsolete and has been for a while now.

Comment

Not in my home its not.

I don't have any digital TVs although I use my PC monitors for catch up TV stuff. The rest of the working TVs I have are all CRTs including my main gaming TV which is a 32" WS with 480p and 1080i capable.

I'm actually quite surprised at how good some PS2 games look at just 480i/60Hz via RGB SCART or Component. I've just finished PAL God Of War which can't be, easily, forced into 480p unlike its NTSC version. Still very good and not the slightest hint of slowdown even in the busiest areas.

Currently just started PS2 Dropship - on first play not pretty and not in the same class as any of the Ace Combat games but its the last unplayed flight combat game I have so I'm hoping its going to be good or at least entertaining.

Comment

Been playing the backcompat OGXB version of SPHINX AND THE CURSED MUMMY on XB1, it's just gone free on GWG and I'm liking it a lot.

It's obviously been enhanced for higher range Xboxes and it looks really bloody nice with some lovely, vivid colour choices. Definitely no slouch for an eighteen-year old OCARINA OF TIME clone!!!

Very playable but boy is it a bit tough, if addictingly so. Just kicking off, right near the bit you get your first sword. Silly me saved with one hit point left and one false move once you get the sword will send you five minutes back to the save checkpoint, and swordless!

Old skool frustration...but it's actually quite pleasurable to go back and try again with this. Great stuff and an old game that can still be enjoyed! !!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Been playing the backcompat OGXB version of SPHINX AND THE CURSED MUMMY on XB1, it's just gone free on GWG and I'm liking it a lot.
                  I have vague memories of seeing the OG Xbox version. Looking at the Switch version, it looks like a pretty good game with colourful graphics.

Comment

I played Motor Toon Grand Prix 2 for the PS1, which has always been one of my favourite cutesy racers. Made by Polyphony, it's a very attractive game that runs really well. I really like the wacky design that always makes me smile. Every aspect of the game is far more refined than the original, which wasn't released in the West. The USA release is the sequel and simply named Motor Toon Grand Prix, but in Europe it retains the #2 in the title.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-10-2020, 22:03.

Comment

What's the collecting scene like for the Japanese Nintendo 64 now?

I've been playing some N64 games on emulation and I'm not happy with the state of some games like Perfect Dark. After a bit of thinking, I was looking at picking up a Japanese or US N64 along with Zelda OOT, Perfect Dark, Wave Race and a few others I love. It seems prices for good condition Japanese games are actually really good but diffrent and higher for US and UK games.

Also, are their any recomeneded HDMI converters or wireless controllers for the system?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I played Motor Toon Grand Prix 2 for the PS1, which has always been one of my favourite cutesy racers. Made by Polyphony, it's a very attractive game that runs really well. I really like the wacky design that always makes me smile. Every aspect of the game is far more refined than the original, which wasn't released in the West. The USA release is the sequel and simply named Motor Toon Grand Prix, but in Europe it retains the #2 in the title.
                        It's great!!!! I have it on that PAL 2-in-1 with GRAN TURISMO, what a twin pack!!!

Treated myself to Neo Geo SHOCK TROOPERS on the Xbox Store yesterday. £6.39 but I don't care, I allow myself one or two overpriced NG ROMs a month, it makes me happy and somehow makes the games feel more substantial, gives me more an urge to play. Plus, cheevz. I lurve those cheevz, those tiny, pointless rewards.

Anyhow, what a STORMER of a game, plus it looks gorgeous!!!!! I've only played this before on that old PS2 SNK comp but the TV settings on that were fucted, this is leaps and bounds ahead and looks bloody great on the widescreen!!!

Next up, I'm either gonna get FATAL FURY SPECIAL or AGGRESSORS OF DARK KOMBAT. The latter is priced at £6.09. About 85% of the games are £6.39 and the other 15% are £6.09.

Dont bloody understand it!

Comment

I just played the Sailor Moon Beat em up on Super Famicom for the first time. I was a little disappointed, it’s a lot of style and not a lot of substance. It’s not a bad game, just a little boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            After a bit of thinking, I was looking at picking up a Japanese or US N64 along with Zelda OOT, Perfect Dark, Wave Race and a few others I love. It seems prices for good condition Japanese games are actually really good but diffrent and higher for US and UK games.

Also, are their any recomeneded HDMI converters
                            Japanese games are definitely cheaper, so a good option for people who don't mind a bit of Japanese text.

Here's an HDMI converter: https://gamesconnection.co.uk/produc...hips-22nd-july

But it's really expensive.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Treated myself to Neo Geo SHOCK TROOPERS on the Xbox Store yesterday
                            Such a great run-'n-gun experience. It's always fun to go back to.

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                            I just played the Sailor Moon Beat em up on Super Famicom for the first time. I was a little disappointed, it’s a lot of style and not a lot of substance. It’s not a bad game, just a little boring.
                            Yeah, a good looking game with nice design, but it's pretty boring to play through. At least it's better than Rival Turf.

Comment

Haha, it is definitely better than Rival Turf, not as good as Brawl Bros though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                Japanese games are definitely cheaper, so a good option for people who don't mind a bit of Japanese text.

Here's an HDMI converter: https://gamesconnection.co.uk/produc...hips-22nd-july

But it's really expensive.
                                Just a bit! But if it's worth it, I'll add it to my maybe list.

Have you got a wireless controller for N64?

Comment

Working...
                                X